Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Sig Spacewalker

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 04:43 AM
RALBITRE
My Feedback: (63)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Spacewalker

I JUST AQUIRED A SIG SPACEWALKER 1/3 SCALE 102'' W/S HAS ANY ONE HAD ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS PLANE THAT THEY COULD SHARE I WOULD GREATLY APRICIATE ANY INFO ,AS THE ONE I HAVE IS ALREADY BUILT ,DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I COULD PICK UP SOME PLANS OR INST BOOK ON THIS PLANE ,OR IF YOU KNOW THE THROWS OR C-G ANY INFO WOULD BE A GREAT HELP WHAT DO YOU THINK OF PLANE
THANKS A BUNCH [email protected]
Old 03-21-2002, 01:07 PM
kevin mcgrath
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sig Spacewalker

Im at the covering stage on mine.
CG range is 4.5" to 5.5" from the leading edge which is 25% to 30.5% of the chord.
Reccomended initial throws are:Elevator 1.125" up and down.Rudder 2" left and right.Ailerons 1.0625 up .9375 down.
I think SIG sell the plans and instructions.This model is a total scale effort based on Hazel Sigs full size Spacewalker.I have seen it at Oshkosh and it is a tiny personal plane capable of limited aerobatics.
I suspect many modelers are expecting something a little more firebreathing and tend to overpower it,especially those who must do the dreaded hover and unlimited vertical bit,but the long moments,thick wing,and limited surfaces are going to disapoint those types who should have bought an extra in the first place, IMO.
What engine are you using?
Old 03-21-2002, 08:32 PM
CHARLIESPUP
My Feedback: (43)

Default Sig Spacewalker

I have been flying my Sig 1/3 Spacewalker for years. It's powered with a Z38. Weights 25 lbs and flys wonderful. The Z38 flys the spacewalker very scale like. I put as much ailerons travel as possible due the wing cord. I use 1.25" up and down on the elevator and 2.5 " on the rudder. The airplane was made for touch and gos. It will loop, roll, and do beautiful hammerheads.
I covered mine with coverall and finished it with red and yellow dope using the spacewalker paint scheme. Be ready to use rudder on take-offs.
Hope this helps and good luck.
Charlie
Old 03-22-2002, 01:31 AM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sig Spacewalker

I thought you might like to see a 1/2 scale Spacewalker scaled up from Sig plans.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6426_709.jpg
Views:	990
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	4638  
Old 03-22-2002, 01:51 AM
JERRY RCIA

Default Sig Spacewalker

BIG_BIRD, BEAUTIFUL PLANE..........TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT IT, SUCH AS ENGINE SIZE, WEIGHT, HOW IT FLIES ETC.
Old 03-22-2002, 03:35 AM
winship

Default Sig Spacewalker

I have finished my Sig 1/3 Spacewalker and put in a couple of flights. The 1/3 Scale Spacewalker is a real floater and a joy to put around the sky with. Bruce Tharp did a beautifull job of designing this kit. I added a heavier control system than necessary and a few other modifications and the plane came out at 19.5 pounds. I built the wing in one piece which saved at least 1#. To see more information on this plane you can visit my home page and go to the Sig 1/3 Scale spacewalker page link.
http://winshiprc.tripod.com
Old 03-22-2002, 04:22 AM
RALBITRE
My Feedback: (63)

Default Sig Spacewalker

THANKS FOR THE INFO TO ALL YOU GUYS ,I REALLY APPRICIATE THE HELP, IT SAVES ME ALOT OF TRIAL & ERROR TIME, TO THOSE OF YOU THAT POSTED PICS ,YOU GUYS HAVE SOME AWESOME PLANES THERE ,THANKS AGAIN ,MUCH APPRICIATED
RUDY ALBITRE
Old 03-22-2002, 04:58 AM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

Default 1/2 scale

Wow What a beautiful model.!!!! One thing tho...Where is the driver?? Thanks for the pic...Brian Smith
Old 03-22-2002, 05:17 AM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 1/2 Scale Spacewalker

Jerry the plane belongs to a friend of mine in Kennedale, a suburb of Ft. Worth. It weighs a little over 50 pounds and is powered with a Brison 6.4 twin. It flies very realistically but would need a bigger engine to be really aerobatic. It's a real show stopper when it flies. The photo was taken last fall at the HCRCC Big Bird flyin in Austin Texas where it received the Pilots Choice award. It is highly scale with all the rib stitching, detailed dummy engine and a dash panel with a set of keys in the ignition switch. When Jim got started with the detailing, he couldn't seem to find a stopping point.
I think he must have left the driver home.

Ken
Old 03-22-2002, 03:00 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default Another Spacewalker

This is mine (RIP) Spacewalker. I had a Q52 in it..I wouldn't say it was a hanging on the prop 3D monster, but it would do some basic aerobatics.

I built mine with a 1 piece wing like winship, but clipped a bay off either side for a 96" span. I left the ailerons at 6 bays, so clipping the wing didn't clip the ailerons.

It weighed 20 lbs even, Monokoted. I think it was an excellent giant trainer, and the kit was very well designed.

Old 03-22-2002, 03:38 PM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

Default 1/3 Space walkers

I had one too..very nice model..Loved that thing..RIP..Radio problems...Hey, any one reading this that has a nice one to sell reasonable?? Is this legal?? Thanks..Brian Smith
Old 07-29-2002, 08:04 PM
kevin mcgrath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sig Spacewalker

I have now been flying my Spacewalker for two weeks almost daily weather allowing,and I,m really pleased with it.The Quadra 400 turned out to be the perfect choice and no adjustments to CG were needed other than radio and engine battery placement.Trim consisted of one click on elevators and one on ailerons for hands off flight.I have slowly upped the aileron movement but rudder and elevator are still as given on the plans for first flights.It lands predictabley and will do touch and goes all day.It will loop,spin,roll,and do inverted maneuvers with ease and is a very smooth performer.I didnt have to cut any obvious holes in the cowl and I use a fuel dot behind a door to fill and empty the tank.
I built the three piece wing,and Im glad I did even though I use an extended mini-van to transport my planes.I dont have a very accurate scale but weight is < 25#
Old 07-31-2002, 07:40 PM
smackey
My Feedback: (8)

Default My Spacewalker

I have been flying this 1/3 scale spacewalker with a Brison 3.2 for two years. It's a beautiful plane in the air and always looks good in scale aerobatics. Mine wieghs 21lbs and includes a smoke system. The Brison flies it with authority but it is not over powered. Used Yellow coverite fabric and red paint.

Name:	19585_2930.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	4639  
Old 08-02-2002, 09:47 PM
toobo

Default Sig Spacewalker

hi Kevin,
I build the "Dennis Tapsfield" Spacewalker with a Zenoah 23 SL. It´s just great! Easy to fly and to build. It has a WS of 2,3Meter and a weight of 5,5 Kg.

Name:	19814_5766.jpeg
Views:	307
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	4640