Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

RCV ENGINE FOR TF CORSAIR?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 12:52 AM
picard1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCV ENGINE FOR TF CORSAIR?

I'm thinking of using an RCV engine for my TF Corsair 60 mainly to keep from cutting up the cowl. I have modified the fuselage at the cowl close to scale to help with airflow. My local club is comprised of O.S. and Saitos, so what does an RCV sound like? Also. RCV recommends starting the engine from behind probably do to the 2:1 gear ratio, but can it be started from the front? (I do own a Sullivan high tork) And are they dependable engines?
Old 11-07-2003, 06:23 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: RCV ENGINE FOR TF CORSAIR?

Pic the RCVs are very reliable, I have the .90 and the .58 CD, 10% fuel with about 16% lube of which they recommend a few % of castor. WildCat 10% Premium fills the bill perfectly. You'll need a huge prop with a minimum 10 inches of pitch. At "rcvengines.com"
they have a chart for each engine with fuel and prop recomendations. They have a slight whine from the gears which is rather loud the first time you start it but subsides fairly quickly. I have also run WildCat Premium Extra 15% which is 18% oil and they run exactly the same on it except more oil comes out of the crankcase vent. They rely on the castor to seal around the rotary valve.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:30 AM
picard1
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for the info Dave,

Can I start the RCV from the front since I'm trying to keep from cutting to many holes in the cowl?

From the beautiful north state,

Mike
Old 11-07-2003, 11:38 AM
88xlh
My Feedback: (1)

yes you can, should be able to ckicken stick it even.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:52 PM
maxtenet

I have the .60 and the .90. You can start them with a regular electric starter, but don't do it until they are broken in as they are still stiff. once they are broken in you can crank 'em, it just takes a little finesse. Also a tolerance for a screwed up plastic spinner from burns.

Great engines, very torquey, turn over slow for big props. Great for scale planes. They do take some getting used to. On takeoff my Skybolt would roll over if I hit the throttle too hard. After learning to take it easy, this is a great combo.

Max