Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Most common?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Most common?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 07:14 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Most common?

The most common solution is to get a hollow core door from a home improvement store - and also some large ceiling tiles. Put the tiles UPSIDE down on the board and build away! Don't forget to cover your plans with waxed paper before building

There is also a company called "Porta-Board" (419) 468-6773 out of Galion, Ohio that makes a very light FLAT board that is very good.

The best is still Wright Building Board - but it is $$$$!

Jerry
Old 04-17-2002, 03:36 PM
2 Piece-RCA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building Board Questions....

KiethH, what size plane you building? Personally I haven't used T pins for over 12 years now, they really don't work all that well. If you find a substance that they push into easily- they don't hold that well. And if you have a substance that holds the pins in tight they are a bugger to push in. I have, until recently, did all my building with the Magic Magnet verticle presses. I constructed an extremly over built 7-1/2' long by 2-1/2' wide table on wheels. For the top I used 2 pieces of 3/4" cabinet grade plywood then I placed a piece of 1/4" plate glass on top of plywood followed by a piece of 1/16" sheet metal so the magnets will stick. This worked very will. But, on the plane I'm finishing up now, it recommended using small finishing nails during construction. I thought that this was a little awkward, but I gave it a try. Went out a got another piece of 3/4" ply and layed it on top of my existing table and started using 18 gauge finishing nails to hold things down. And I can tell you that IMHO it is probaly the best way to hold parts down. You only use a few nails where it would have taken 30 T pins or 5 to 10 verticle presses. You don't have to drive the nails in very far and I have a pair of pliers I use to remove the nails with. Simply grab the nail with pliers give a few twist and pull and out they come. And by the way you do not drive the nail throught the part you, you place the nail beside the part and use a clamp. It works great for me.
2 Piece
Old 04-22-2002, 06:04 PM
AcintSpec

Keith:

I am using an old piece of counter top with 4-inch wide sheets of 3/8 ths inch balsa glued to it. T-pins go in and come out easily. I have not expeienced any problems so far except for my crooked vision. Plans can be pinned or taped to it, what else could I ask for.

Gene
Old 04-23-2002, 12:53 PM
brc007
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Owens Corning Extruded Polystyrene Insulation "Foamular 150" It is pink and you can get it at most hardware stores. It works great and is easy to push pins into.
Old 04-29-2002, 10:43 AM
grizz

KeithH, I went to the local lumber store and bought a hollow-core door, the cheapest I could find. It was nice and straight, very light, and the only thing I had to figure out was were to put (or what to put it on). I had some sawhorse brackets and made 2 sawhorses to set them on. Works great. I am building a large plane, 79" wing span, so I needed the space.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:50 AM
skyrider2
My Feedback: (2)

There are some good suggestions here. I have been using the hollow flush door approach covered with half of a 4x8 sheet of Celotex for the last 18 years. Pins go in easy and hold well. Run a sander over it when it gets too rough from glue spills etc. and flip it over when that doesn't work anymore.