Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

red dye in kerosene

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

red dye in kerosene

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 10:29 PM
chris1971

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default red dye in kerosene

One of our local suppliers of kerosene puts red dye in their kerosene. Will that be OK to run or will the dye hurt anything?

Chris
Old 10-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: red dye in kerosene

No, it won't hurt a thing.
The red dye is usually to indicate that it cannot be used for transportation, as no road taxes have been paid.
Red dyed diesel is used for farm implements in the USA...not allowed to be used on the road.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:25 PM
chris1971

Great, thanks!

chris
Old 10-17-2010, 12:06 AM
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just adding to Harley's response. I've got a friend that's been running red dyed kerosene for ~3 years without issue. He's primarily running JetCats but I'm sure that doesn't matter. I bought 15 Gal for $3.99/Gal from his source (a pump station out of the ground) and plan to run this stuff from now on. The only thing to be cautions about is the source and quality of fuel. I was running fuel out of pails from Home Depot in the US, and the fuel was excellent. I'm getting a 'Mr Funnel' just to make sure I don't wind up with a moisture or debris issue from the new source at the pump.

Kelly
Old 10-17-2010, 04:30 AM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

I use it all the time ...no problemo.....got mr funnel this year for piece of mind since i usually use ground pumps from gas stations...don't know if it helps...but it doesn't hurt!
Old 10-17-2010, 07:44 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Underground tanks can contain a variety of contaminants harmful to our engines health.
Make sure that all fuel is triple filtered before use.
Step one is to use the Mr. Funnel when pumping into your can. The majority of any water contained will be eliminated by this filter.
Step two is to filter the fuel again when pumping out of the fuel can and into the jet.
Step three is to use a UAT. The filter sock inside will remove any very small debris prior to the pump.
Finally, use a vertcally mounted fuel filter between the engine fuel pump and the solenoid valve...this will remove any metallic debris caused by fuel pump gear wear. Vertical mounting keeps an air bubble from forming within the filter.

Some engines, JetCat for example, contain another filter inside the engine cowl for the final filtering step.

As a side note, I don't use felt clunk weights because of the possibility of felt particles ending up in the system.
I used them in 1999, but no more. Back in the day before UAT's etc., one of the well know engine manufacturers owners told me that during repairs, they could tell who used felt clunks and who didn't. They would sometimes find felt fibres inside the fuel vaporization tubes (some folks call them "fuel sticks"). Somehow the very fine fibres would find their way through the filters and lodge inside these hypodermic size tubes. Based on that information, I discontinued the use of felt clunks.

I have recently removed the standard clunk weights and installed the new BVM Heavy Clunk weights in my jets.
I heartily recommend them to one and all.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:05 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't get caught with Red Dye in your Diesel vehicles.... If they come into a shop for repairs and red diesel is discovered, the Shop is reqired by Federal Law to stop repairs and contact the Dept. of Transportation. The owner of the vehicle is in for a ride of B.S. and fines !!!! As far as Turbines go, I have never used it myself, but have friends that do... Works great.... Give me Jet-A or give me Cox .049 and a string !!!!

Danno
Old 10-17-2010, 10:00 AM
chris1971

Ok so what is a mr. funnel and where can I get one? The tank with the kersene is above ground but I don't know how clean they keep it so filtering is a must.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-17-2010, 07:32 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris, Mr. funnel right here!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Funnel-F3C-...7361780&sr=8-1
Old 10-17-2010, 08:07 PM
chris1971