Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

A LITTLE SUBJECT FOR THE END OF THE YEAR!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

A LITTLE SUBJECT FOR THE END OF THE YEAR!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 03:14 AM
ob1n
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A LITTLE SUBJECT FOR THE END OF THE YEAR!

You know......a funny thing happened the other day. But, first....let me just say that I've been feeling a little disappointed lately. "Why", you ask? Cause I've felt that the R/C industry isn't what it used to be. Of course, it has changed....but that's not what I mean. I felt it is not as "cool" as it used to be. Well, I found out that I may be wrong!

I was going through my shop the other day and come across my Tower Hobbies 2000 catalog! I know, somewhere.....I have one from 1993-95.....just need to look a little harder! Anyway, I came to my office and opened it up to see what I could find. I was shocked at the changes. This was the year that HPI only sold car/truck bodies and few on-road cars and one truck!!!! Traxxas was listed in black and white...not color! Kyosho was the "big daddy" of the day. Duratrax only listed a couple of vehicles. Airplanes were mainly nitro and A LOT of them were kits! Had a whole bunch of black and white kit listings. Boats seemed to have more variety. It was really a good time looking through it again. It made me feel that I had been right.....that it was better back then!

Then I opened the new Tower Hobbies 2007 catalog.....I was suddenly feeling that maybe I was wrong?!?!?!! The old catalog had 304 pages and the new one has 288. So it has a few less items, right? Well, I noticed the new catalog was more organized....in terms of how the products fit the pages. I started to look at the format....and both were very much alike. 7 years...Tower had stayed the same, somewhat, but the manufacturers were the ones that were very different. Kyosho still has color ads....but a few cars. Nitro is BIG with cars/boats....and electric is BIG with Planes/Helis! Exact OPPOSITE back then! Of course, I believe brushless tech is about to take over everything! Team Associated is no longer black and white....in fact, they MORE then a just a few car/truck products! Duratrax is all over the pages....as is Traxxas. Truly, I remember when they first came out. I was driving an Ulitma Pro at the time....and when I saw the Bandit...I thought that Traxxas wouldn't last very long. But, then.....they made the Sledgehammer, then the Stampede....and you know what happened after that! And the "body" company with a few cars and a truck....HPI.....well, look at them NOW! Airplanes are now 50/50 electric/nitro and most are RTF/ARF. But, you can still find kits.....but most kits are in color ads. Boats are surprisingly more versatile and plentiful.....although I wish they would "catch on" to the combat ship market!!! I sure would love to build a scale warship....even if I didn't battle with it.

I did notice, however, there are those "cheap" models.....you know, the ones that make you feel as though you are shopping at Wal-Mart. The only "cheap" models back then were a couple of Nikkos. I guess they had to add that to their catalogs......otherwise somebody else will. I guess if I don't like em.....don't buy em, right? But, there is a positive side to those......I'd give them to my kids to beat up before I'd buy them a "nice" one. After they've learned a little respect for property(you hope), then buy them something nice. I do miss the kit, however. Particulary with the cars. You gotta learn how this works, or you'll have trouble fixing it later. Frustration leads to people "quitting". Besides, I remember when building kits.....feeling in awe of the "complexity" of the engineering that went into these models. It's not like my parents would let me tear apart the '85 Lincoln Town Car in the garage just so I could say, " Wow......look at that"! I had a much different idea of how to drive a car when I turned 16 then my other peers did. Someone, mentioned a Ready-To-Build kit in the forums......I don't know what he meant by that, exactly.....but, I am interested. After all, you can buy model kits like that now days....they are painted and "main" components are built already, just requires the final assembly. Now....as far as planes are concerned.....yeah, I welcome RTF/ARF. I can crash 'em faster than I can build em. But, I do enjoy the building experience as well. Maybe what I don't like is the "rebuilding" experience! LOL!

I hope to find my Tower catalog from the 90s and look through that!!!!! Then I can really get a "full picture" of the changes made. But, as I stated in the beginning, I guess I was wrong about the industry. It looks to be as strong as ever......in all aspects! In fact, there are more different choices of products now then ever before. From electric to nitro to gas to diesel.....from micro to mini to average to large-scale.....from toy-like to comprehensive to highly-advanced technology! In other words.....I've got nothing to complain about. What we need to do now....is let everybody know that we are here to stay. And joining the fun could never be at a better time! I guess it's true......it is usually never as bad as it seems! I realize I am using the Tower Hobbies catalog as a reference....but, I've always bought from them because we've never had anything else around here to support us. And if you look at the world-wide web.....there are even MORE products than what Tower provides! Oh yes.....indeed it is a great time to be in the hobby!

Laters,

Ob1n of maxxlights
Old 12-27-2006, 06:54 AM
Gex_61

Default RE: A LITTLE SUBJECT FOR THE END OF THE YEAR!

Well put,

I have been involved with the rc hobby since about 00-01.....ish, so I guess not as long as you, but I have noticed that it is getting very popular. Drifting and Rock Crawling are fairly new to rc and I have been interested in them both. It is difficult to find much help with them and the forums are very empty, but word is getting out. For example they had rock crawling at the last rc-Xgames (which is also new). Also, I see new comers at my hobby shop every time I go over there.

My first car was a traxxas rustler and since then I have gone to Losi. Losi itself has gone through many changes over the last year or so. The mini-t, LST, 8ight, and micro-t are all new and different from what they have been selling in the past, which was mostly 1/10 offroad.

There is so much that you have to know to be able to do this stuff. I know a lot more than I did when I first started and I still have a lot more to learn. I don't remember anything about my rustler since it was an rtr and my dad fixed everything on it, but now I can take any of my cars apart and rebuild them without directions. I will continue to enjoy it all and will have at least one of everything someday.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:04 AM
125cchyperman

You know this has gotten me thinking. Before reading your post I never really noticed how much this hobby has changed since I have been in this hobby. But now that I think about it the hooby has gone so far since I have been in this hobby. I have been in this hobby now 9 years with 7 of them being on the ground and so much has changed. Back when I started this hobby there was no Mini's at least from what I can remember. No truggy's amd not a whole lot of MT's, but since the MT's have taken off like a mad man the Truggy's have done the same along with the mini's. The Mini's with there brushless motor's are just insane and if you would have told me back when I started that a Mini could to 50+ easily I would have never listend to you. But now it's like it's normal to see them go that fast. And thats not even talking about the transmitters and receiver's and such.

The batteries for the electric's has just made them insane with the Lipo's. If you would have said to someone that eventually an electric would be as fast if not faster then a nitro they would have laughed at you. But now a speed of 130mph was obtained earlier in the year with a lipo and an unofficial record of 160mph was obtained(but they dont know if it was legit or not).

But so much has happened in the past few years that I cant even imagine what this hobby will be like in another 5, 10, or 15 years from now. I guess we will all have to wait and see.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:29 AM
happywing

I think what's happening is that RC is late to the party concerning the technology revolution. Things were changing rapidly in the 90's. RC's now playing catch-up. There are some great things on the horizon!
Old 12-27-2006, 03:38 PM
ob1n

Great thoughts.....I am glad that everyone feels the same. Anyone else with some thoughts?
Old 12-27-2006, 04:20 PM
ry5no2

In the next decade cars might have jets on them RTR!!!!!!!, lol, you never know its like 125cchyperman was sayin because we cannot predict the future and its beyond belief it doesnt mean that its not possible.....[X(][X(][X(]

There might be rc jump jets and mach1 speed airoplanes with onboard cameras and sattelite transmitter for races from the north of scotland to the south of england.....

Possibilties are endless.....

Ryan
Old 12-27-2006, 04:25 PM
ob1n

I like this guy's(ry5no2) visionary mind......can't wait to have those in my collection!!
Old 12-27-2006, 04:33 PM
ry5no2

lmao, thanks...I was also thinking of onboard system diagnostic tools, squeezed into a microchip, for the LONG flights, ALTHOUGH at the moment i do not know how long it would take to fly from one end of the country to the other at mach1 ( I cant be arsed workin it out.....not after last nite.....2 oclock in the mornin lol)

Thanks

Ryan
Old 12-27-2006, 04:33 PM
hands without shadows

Im completely with you on the kit thing. Ive ssaid this many times before......RTR is ruining this hobby. Go on the micro forums for a bit and look at some of the threads. All those cars are RTR and you can tell by seeing threads about gear mesh and what changing a pinion does!! Building a kit will teach you all this, and knowledge is good.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:39 PM
ob1n

Kits are the only way to make this hobby survive.....definitely!!!! If everybody has everything done for them......what's left to have fun with after you've driven them and broke it?! Yes....I wish "Kit" will reign supreme again!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2006, 06:35 PM
green25

Yes, I wish Kits were produced more. I have never built a kit before, I really need to try it out. That's why I like to do custom work, building something of my own, something I can say that I built.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:20 AM
ob1n

yeah....you'll definitely like a kit once you try one.....there is no feeling like it.

ob1n