Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fuel type

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fuel type

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 02:54 AM
meanmf
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel type

Hi guys,

I am close to buying a ( new) used turbine, and I am wondering wht type of fuel you guys use. I got rid of my other one, so I am ready to get off on a new foot

TIA

Mark
Old 01-13-2002, 03:01 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fuel type

What did you run in your other one?

I have run 1-K kerosine in mine with AS500 mixed in.
Old 01-13-2002, 03:08 AM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

Default Fuel

Hi. I was using Parks 1K but it's just too darn expensive. I now use jet-A off the truck mixed with Exxon 2380. It runs around $2.15 per gallon for me down at the Camarillo, CA airport. If you end up using jet-A, make sure you filter it really well with an auto parts store paper type fuel filter. Good luck.

Spencer Maze
CRCJA
Old 01-13-2002, 03:41 PM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel

Check with the manufacturer, but as a general rule you can use Jet-A or 1-K Kerosene from the gas station or by the can.

I've been using 1-K purchased from the local Mobil station and my JetCat runs fine on it. Unfortunately 1-K from the pump can smell pretty bad. In the interest of household peace I pretty much have had to keep my HotSpot in the garage, as a tiny amount of 1-K or Jet-A spilled anywhere really stinks up the place. Also, I once found a significant amount of fungus in my JetCat fuel filter after only five flights, so I've been using 1/2 teaspoon of Biobor JF (available from boating marinas) per 5 gallons kerosene as an anti-fungal agent. The JetCat fuel filter is incredibly fine and will trap fungus, I'm not sure if other filters will so some guys may have fungus and not know it.

Some guys have great results using Jet-A. If you buy it from a general aviation FBO you might want to ask if Prist (anti water agent) or Biobor is added. If so you shouldn't have to worry about fungus, if not it may or may not be a problem. One of the biggest drawbacks to using it is the smell, it is even worse than the stuff from the gas station. I haven't tried it, but Torrey Ward told me a drop or two spilled in your car will pretty much stink it up for life.

From talking to Bob Wilcox, Torrey Ward and Jason Soames I've learned the very best fuel you can run is either Crown or Parks kerosene. The stuff is expensive at around 25 bucks for 5 gallons but my understanding is it's the cleanest and purest kerosene available. It is also much lower odor and doesn't seem to develop fungus like the stuff out of the pump. Once I burn up what I've got left I plan to switch over to the Crown, that seems to be the favorite of the two.

smaze,

Just wondering, does the Parks have less odor than the Jet-A?
Any problems with fungus? Any difference in engine performance?
Thanks.
Old 01-22-2002, 06:35 AM
YankeeAirPirate

Default Fuel & Handling

Hi meanmf:

Congrats on being close to lighting the burner.

We operate a Jet Cat 120,Use Jet A with prist from a FBO

Filter out of the can,to tanks,filter header tank (Ala Bvm),filter before pump with custom filter which contains an auto gas filter,then after pump with another of the custom units.

Always store fuel in dark area,constant temp,

In short we are pretty picky about fuel source,storage,handling and filtering.

Seems to work for us.

Good luck...rolling out.
Old 01-23-2002, 01:06 PM
KXH121
My Feedback: (20)

Default Fuel Type

I use K-1 Kerosene with 5% Aeroshell 500 turbine oil for my AMT AT 180's (2), no problem.
Old 01-23-2002, 02:56 PM
azblue

Default Fuel type

I use the 1-K with Exon 2380, i triple filter it with Hangar 9 filters before it gets in the airplanes tank, then it goes through another hangar 9 filter in the airplane befor it gets to the engine. 15 flights now and no fungus. But than again i have only been flying it for about a month.

Have fun with your turbine. It's a blast!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy