Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

The Best Diff Cups / Internal Gear Sets For a Savage

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

The Best Diff Cups / Internal Gear Sets For a Savage

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 11:50 AM
ViperX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Best Diff Cups / Internal Gear Sets For a Savage

whats are the best ones around? i m sure many of us use alloys diff cups and hardened internal gear sets to bash our trucks out to the max or just to avoid premature wear and damage

1. tell us what ones you use and how u got on with them?
2. what other ones(brands) you know of? what do u think about them?
3. also how much they cost and where can u buy them from? - this would be beneficial for complete newbies

I use the nova 7075 Diff Cups and the stock internal gears - so far so good - i havent have any porblems with my diff - might use the hardened steel gear set from hotbodies -

I m really looking forward to get the X SS4.6 Diff Kit - But i cant wait so i am looking for other options tp put in my second truck which is all stock
I ve heard GPM does good diff cups - anyone know of anymore???

Bought my Nova 7075 Diff Cups from ebay 12pounds each

I was also hoping someone here could tell if there are similar diff kits like the one used in the new X SS4.6 - i cant wait for the X SS4.6 parts to come out - i need something now for my second X as i know they will/can die on me without warning - i ve heard kyosho does a diff set up similar to the X SS4.6 ones - anyone has any info on that?

lets discuss
Old 09-27-2006, 12:59 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: The Best Diff Cups / Internal Gear Sets For a Savage

For the past 5 gallons plus I have been running all the stock stuff in my diffs with out a problem so far. I will be checking in to the X SS diff cups with mounts for the spider gear shafts.

From personally experience I will not run anything GPM, as there parts are machined cast and not machined out of billet that is much stronger. I have had problems with their parts not fitting properly or working like they should.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:46 PM
amwhite2005

Me too, I cant wait for the X SS diffs to come out. I have 3Racing ones with HB hardened gears. They come with shims and that is all you need. The 3Racing cups have held out well, untill I runined a non-shimmed diff and now it is all mashed up. I ran about a gallon through the front diff knowing that the gears inside must be like liquid. I had the file the aluminum diff cups and add some extra shims but then it was fine. If I had stopped driving when my non-shimmed diff had gone than I could have saved the cup.

Oh well.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:22 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I for got to say I do have mine shimmed and I am running X bulkheads so I can change the diff oil easily for different tracks.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:25 PM
amwhite2005

yeah, you really need to shim them.