Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Soot on car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 06:56 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Soot on car?

Hi gang,

My Losi 810 has gone through about 10 tanks, and I'm still getting some soot (see attached). While I am probably running it a TAD rich (although it runs/sounds/smells/feels great) I'm curious as to what this is? Could it be possible "debris" from the ground that is sticking due to the nitro?

I'm not seeing anywhere distinguishbly where it's being burned off the car, but it is spread out pretty evenly so am unsure?

See attached pics and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70188.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1738822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95506.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	1738823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82269.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	1738824  
Old 03-14-2012, 07:00 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Soot on car?

Could be your clutch, if you still have the stock one... mine did that right before it exploded. Look on the chassis near the front of the engine and see if there's a streak below the clutch.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:25 PM
JohnP2

Thanks. I'm going to take her out bashing this weekened (will post a video). That will give me an idea at how durable she is as well. I've budgeted to replace any dinged up parts that I can't clean like new, and will evaluate the stock clutch then...as I definitely am interested in the M2C three show.

"On-road" this buggy has been very impressive (although the front tires already show a lot of wear). I'll be curious to see how she can beasts off-road. Can't wait!!!
Old 03-14-2012, 08:04 PM
nitroexpress

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably tire rubber.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:49 AM
tommygun32

Tire rubber is my bet, you've said it yourself "although the front tires already show a lot of wear". I'll see that kind of build up from the rubber starter wheel in my starter box.

Do also check the clutch. And honestly, unless your going competitive racing, for the money you'll spend on the M2C clutch, you can get yourself three 3 shoe ofna setups that will be just as good.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:16 PM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Tire rubber is my bet, you've said it yourself "although the front tires already show a lot of wear". I'll see that kind of build up from the rubber starter wheel in my starter box.

Do also check the clutch. And honestly, unless your going competitive racing, for the money you'll spend on the M2C clutch, you can get yourself three 3 shoe ofna setups that will be just as good.
Not gonna do any competitive racing (that will wait for my Associated RC8.2 with an OS19XZ-B or Reedy 121VR .21). ;-)

However, I am interested in hearing about different clutch set-ups. Proanti recommended the m2c7700 (and that is good enough for me - as I very much respect his opinion)....but am always open to hearing comparable parts at a better price. This will be my first "upgrade" for clutches, so if I can get something 1/2 the price that will have similar improvements - I'm down with that. Can you provide the part number to which you are preferring.

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2012, 06:30 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The one he suggest will not work. You need a 33mm small block flywheel, the Ofna clutches are meant for big blocks, and will not fit your engine.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

Did you ever figure out what it was? I have my money on tire rubber.