Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Airlines and Transmitters

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Airlines and Transmitters

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 03:22 PM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airlines and Transmitters

Anyone have any advice or had any problems carrying Transmitters as hand luggage?

I'm paranoid that they're not going to let me on or give me a real hard time about what it is becasue I suppose, to the untrained eye, it looks fairly dodgy to take onto a plane in this day and age!

Not sure whether it being in the metal carry case makes it any less suspicious?!

Do they just treat them the same as a laptop? After all they're just lumps of electronics.

Any thoughts/experiences/suggestions on what to say to them to appease them?
Old 04-22-2003, 03:32 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had varied responses. One airline told me that it would be okay as long as I took the battery out and put that in my check-in luggage. Another airline said that I should hand the TX (in its case) to the flight attendant as I boarded, and get it back when I landed.

Gordon
Old 04-22-2003, 03:33 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I cannot say for Europe or Asia but here in North America ( Canada / US ) I would no longer recommend carrying your transmitter as hand luggage. I ran into a very uncomfortable situation on my most recent trip to Florida Jets when I was challenged at the security gate to " prove it was working " I switched on the transmitter but obviously nothing happened so the security officer said " O.K. what is it supposed to do ". When I tried explaining the function of the controls he called the supervisor. The supervisor informed me that they would require me to take it apart to see the internals. I was shown to a side room where they would observe me doing the diassembling. As I was about to take it apart ( they provided the screwdriver - hmmm ) another security guard came in and asked what what was happening. This guy was some shift officer - bigwig. When he saw the transmitter he said " oh ....your a JR guy huh. Thankfully he was an R/C modeler and told the other guys I was safe. So I got through, but even he said that if they ( gate security ) are unsure of what the electronics are then I could be refused passage. So, from now on it goes in my luggage or sent ahead. Sign of the times now........
Old 04-23-2003, 02:22 AM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, Dean is right on the money here. We filter "things" at check points in my job (Secret Service) and I can see how something like that would get a few raised eyebrows from non-modelers. All the switches and buttons and levers and that big antennae looks awful intimidating. If I were getting on a plane I would just check it as baggage (in a metal case with a LOCK), or ask ahead if the flight attendant could put it in the closet in the front of the plane and give it to you as you leave.

If you don't check it and do have to go thru security with it, tell them to X-ray it and do whatever other "non invasive" test if they are worried about it. Don't take apart you radio, you might break the darn thing, and they wouldn't know what they were looking at in the first place if you showed them the guts. Take the battery out and put it next to the radio in the case, don't separate them in different bags because you'll end up trying to explain what that is too. Most of all, carry a darn R/C magazine with you in your hand (you'll need one on the plane to read anyway) and show the dolts what the radio is if you have to. Hopefully you won't have any trouble, but with these tips, if you have trouble, it will make the security guys understand quicker.

Hope this helps,

Mike
Old 04-23-2003, 03:06 AM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Secret Agent
Most of all, carry a darn R/C magazine with you in your hand (you'll need one on the plane to read anyway) and show the dolts what the radio is if you have to.
That is a great tip.

Bob
Old 04-23-2003, 04:16 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've travelled 6 times since sept 11 with tx as carry on. Never had a problem. I have checked large plastic case with helis...only one time did they search the case. I have travelled on Alaska, american, continental and united.

This is just my experience....

Mike