Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet A purchase ??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet A purchase ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 03:57 AM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Jet A purchase ??

Got a ??? concerning purchase of Jet A kerosene because it "IS" illegal to pump it into anything other than an airplane. Now those who get it in cans ARE breaking laws, yet there is no mention of this dilemma..
My son was ground service @ our regional airport and now is the CFII for the FBO and I have connections of getting Jet A, but I opt to by gas station kerosene so he does not have to break any laws...Another side note is he never understood how the airlines could legally pump the Jet A into the tugs used for luggage. hmmm anyone got some answers???
Air is much easier to secure yet it gets more bad press than this...
Old 03-02-2002, 06:51 AM
Jason Somes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C/F,

I have been told that the reason for the laws on pumping of aviation fuels into no aviation vehicles is that there are no road taxes assigned to aviation fuels and you know how our government hates to lose money so, they impart a law precluding such activities.

I could be way off base here but thats what a little bird told me.

Jason Somes
JetCat USA
Old 03-02-2002, 11:34 AM
DavidR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Laws......we don't need no stinking laws.....

Since when did it become illegal to pump fuel into other than an airplane? I have been buying jet-A for three years now at my local airport and have never once been told it was illegal for them to sell it to me pumped into my 15 gallon cans. And why would it be illegal to pump it into those cans? It might be illegal to transfer it into a can then into a fullscale airplane. Maybe someone told you wrong, where did you hear this anyway?

David Reid
Old 03-02-2002, 02:28 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jet-A

David,

That's the same story we get here in Austin... I had a thread on this subject here a while back, I asked if anyone could quote a state or federal rule on this.. no one did... I seems to be a regional thing... Some FBO's will sell it.. some wont..I impression I get from the FBO's around here is that they just don't want to mess with us for such a small amount, although they are stating that it is illegal.. They can't produce a document statring that fact..If anyone know the real story here i would like to hear it!!

Regards,

Dan Massey
Old 03-02-2002, 03:48 PM
CobraJet
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C/F,
I purchased my Jet A and turbine oil early on from the Colorado Springs Intl(?) Airport with no problems. They did require a "tail number" and aircraft type to input the information into their computer, so I gave them my RAM serial number 750xxxF and F-15 as info. After that the FBO just pulls up my account and adds another 10 gallons to it for the record. The fuel is going into an aircraft and not a car so I don't see a problem. Now with my old drag/street car I did have a problem buying 100 octane LL from the airport so I had to put it into jugs and take it home to refuel.

I have since switched over to Home Depot's K-1 Kero which is more convenient (sturdy 5gal cans for $13) and left over JP-8 (aircraft defueling) from the local Guard base that my fuelie friend gives me from time to time.
Old 03-02-2002, 11:23 PM
c/f

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I can buy the Mobil turbine oil no problem, my son was the line service employee driving the big tanker to fuel the major airlines, filling a can for me would have been no biggy except his boss said it was against FAA/Federal regulations subject to heavy fines he did not want to mess with nor did I... I get employees discount on turbine oil.. Since my son is now the CFII for the same FBO he ran line service for, I doubt I am getting a runaround based on inconvienance since he works there 40 hours a week killing time when not airborne..............
I bring this up now since someone from FJ said his turbine would not run until he put in JETA and EGT's went down.....
I ran 35gals of gas station last season with no problems but any lowering of EGT sounds like extended bearing life, and getting the JET A should not be a big deal for me if it is LEGAL..........