Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Mounting motor in old Byron Pitts

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Mounting motor in old Byron Pitts

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 08:55 AM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting motor in old Byron Pitts

Hi;Am kind of new on handling these big old things usually into 60 size!Have this 65" Pitts,suppose should be gas but have a 150 Saito available!My problem is approx.8" from firewall to end of cowl.I think I have seen they build a box and attach that to firewall?Afraid a mount that would move engine that far would be to shaky?Your hints will be appreciatted!!Thanks!
Old 04-05-2006, 01:14 PM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Mounting motor in old Byron Pitts

I had a Byron Pitts back when the Cave Men still walked the earth, very nice flyer. Believe it or not they were originally built for a geared .61 engine. That's what mine had in it but I yanked it and put a Quadra in it. I would build a box and extend the fire wall, you'll need the weight anyway. By the time you balance that plane with a Saito 150 in it it will weigh at least 15 lbs. and you'll still have to have everything pushed up front.

At 15 lbs. with all that bipe drag you'll be lucky to get it off the ground. I would buy a cheap gasser and stick it in or a Moki 2.10 or something like that. If you go gas WATCH OUT FOR THE FOAM it don't like gasoline. I paid $100.00 for mine back in the eighties and it still remains the most fun I have ever had for a $100.00 Good Luck
Old 04-05-2006, 03:37 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Don M.

I had a Byron Pitts back when the Cave Men still walked the earth, very nice flyer. Believe it or not they were originally built for a geared .61 engine. That's what mine had in it but I yanked it and put a Quadra in it. I would build a box and extend the fire wall, you'll need the weight anyway. By the time you balance that plane with a Saito 150 in it it will weigh at least 15 lbs. and you'll still have to have everything pushed up front.

At 15 lbs. with all that bipe drag you'll be lucky to get it off the ground. I would buy a cheap gasser and stick it in or a Moki 2.10 or something like that. If you go gas WATCH OUT FOR THE FOAM it don't like gasoline. I paid $100.00 for mine back in the eighties and it still remains the most fun I have ever had for a $100.00 Good Luck

----------------

A Byron Pitts Special powered by a Quadra 35cc engine was the first giant scale model I ever flew. Not only that, but I was the test pilot. This particular one had been fitted with an electric starter and was grossly nose heavy. In spite of all of that, it was a very nice model to fly. And, as Don has stated, you learned a lesson in humility when you throttled that monster back because it lost airspeed in a hurry.

I would forget the Saito and go for a Brillelli 46cc gas engine. Inexpensive and heavy enough to help balance the model somewhat.

I later flew the same Byron Pitts after the owner had installed a Tartan Twin on gas/spark. Not much more power than the Quadra 35cc, but enough to be welcome. That was the best running Tartan Twin I have ever seen. And it was the only one I ever saw burning gas/oil for fuel. Never a problem with the engine. Can't say the same thing for the same engine running on glow and alcohol. Most of them ate bearings like there was no tomorrow.

Later, the owner put the Tartan Twin on a Byron Christen Eagle. It flew a little better than the Pitts. Exactly why I never figured out. I "think" the fuselage was a bit narrower, but I'm not sure.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:16 PM
lloyd a

I have two of these plane and equip'd with a quadra 35 also and fly at 2300 ft above sea level, I agree it fly's with these engine's but no performer forget the Saito you must go gas and if you want performance at economical price put a Zenoah 62 on it it needs the nose weight
Old 04-06-2006, 12:18 AM
moodier

Hi Fellows!!I really appreciatte the replies but don't like what I hear!Guess this wasn't one of my better ideas,neither was buying the 150 either.Guess I could sell it for enough to buy a gasser but realy don't want to get in to another area I don't understand.What is that I hear about problem with the foam fuselage and gas??You are a big help as wasn't sure where I was at with this thing.Was one of those things at a swap was neat and reasonable didn't know enough to walk away as am partial to bipes have a 72"lazy ace flyes with a 120 so figured this one shouldn't take that much more!HaHa!!Thanks much!!!
Old 04-06-2006, 05:10 AM
Don M.

ORIGINAL: moodier

Hi Fellows!!I really appreciatte the replies but don't like what I hear!Guess this wasn't one of my better ideas,neither was buying the 150 either.Guess I could sell it for enough to buy a gasser but realy don't want to get in to another area I don't understand.What is that I hear about problem with the foam fuselage and gas??You are a big help as wasn't sure where I was at with this thing.Was one of those things at a swap was neat and reasonable didn't know enough to walk away as am partial to bipes have a 72"lazy ace flyes with a 120 so figured this one shouldn't take that much more!HaHa!!Thanks much!!!

Do not get any gas on the foam - it will EAT your plane up. Sell the Saito if you have no use for it and pick up a good used Quadra 42 or a US 41. You should get one for under $200.00. It won't be a barn burner but you'll have a blast. A Moki 2.10 would also fly it fine but you will probably need some nose weight.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:12 AM
moodier

Hi,Notice the inside seems to be painted with clear substance possibly epoxy suppose that is why?Doesn't glow fuel hurt it?Friend has lot of old Quadra stuff he has had to quit flying said he could set it up with that equip for around $150 maybe should talk to him some more.Others have said stay away from that old Quadra motors get newer type ones?Again thanks for you time!!Bob
Old 04-06-2006, 11:53 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,Notice the inside seems to be painted with clear substance possibly epoxy suppose that is why?Doesn't glow fuel hurt it?Friend has lot of old Quadra stuff he has had to quit flying said he could set it up with that equip for around $150 maybe should talk to him some more.Others have said stay away from that old Quadra motors get newer type ones?Again thanks for you time!!Bob

-------------------

Nope, glow fuel won't dissolve the foam like gasoline will.

Your Saito 1.50 should easily produce more power/thrust than a Quadra 35cc gas engine. While I have a warm spot in my heart for the Quadra 35cc engine, because it was my first giant scale experience, a good OS 1.20 four-stroke will outpower it. So, your Saito 1.50 should fly it in fine style, just don't expect unlimited verticals or being able to hover.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:13 PM
Don M.

If I was a rich man I would buy a ticket to watch the maiden with a Saito 150.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:30 PM
lloyd a

me too, we could sell tickets. by the way does your field have a 800ft paved runway? you will need it.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:48 PM
lloyd a

just a second thought your 16" prop won't clear the cowl and your vertical will be like a freight train. check the final weight of this beast.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:40 PM
moodier

OK you Wise Guys!!!I am getting the feeling you don't think a Saito 150 is sutiable for this job!I can't justify one of those $500+ Das etc so what should I do.Told not to use the Quadra outdated heavy etc.What should I look for to power it.Or is the best idea to take it to the next swap and pass it on to some other sucker!!Have lot of glow engines all sizes but no experience with gas except weedeater that never wants to run!!As owner of several different weedeaters this doesn't give much confidence in gassers!Beside the engine what else do I need?Gets so complicated!I really do appreciatte you advice!!!!Bob
Old 04-08-2006, 05:15 AM
Don M.

If you just want mild aerobatics a US41 or Quadra 42 is enough. As already stated the one I had, had a Q42 in it and although not overpowered it was fine, would do a large loop from level flight. The weight in this plane is OK you'll need it.

I wish I lived closer I'd put you out of your misery by taking that thing off your hands, installing my Saito 270 and smile all the way to the field.

Stop talking and JUST DO IT !!

Here you go this will fly it just fine $100.00 - a sweet deal - go for it

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=180779

[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 04-08-2006, 10:14 AM
moodier

Don;Thanks for the info,my question on that one is like I usually do would buy it and find I need $200 of parts when for a $100 more could have got one that was complete!I see some such as US 41 for $185 complete for a beginner would that be better buy as I have no spare parts around etc?As said earlier then what else do I need also to put it totgether.See some adds that show a big squatre mounbt almost looks loike the one on this.I posted pictures of mount earlier on another post re this model!Think it was in the ARF as was trying to find out about it.Again thanks for you time!Bob
Old 04-08-2006, 10:17 AM
moodier

Sorry about the spelling get tired of going back to re-spell everything and can't look at screen and type at same time!There I think I corrected this one!
Old 04-10-2006, 07:00 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A saito 150 is more powerfull than a Q35. I do not think so. I had one of the original Q35 from Dario Brigishila. Mine turned a 18-8 or a 18-6/10 @ approx 7,900 to 8,000. There is a huge difference in torque.

The original Bud Nosen p-51 was designed for a Q35, and the Byron P-51 flew with a Q35 and belt drive (4 Blade prop). The Q35 was the first mass produced large scale engine, and they were flying some pretty big planes back then. Mine was in a 1/4 Scale Clipped Wing Taylorcraft that weighed 22 lb's and it flew very scale.
You had to plan your aerobatics ahead of time, because you were flying on the wing and not the engine.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:07 AM
Don M.

ORIGINAL: MOTORMAN37

A saito 150 is more powerfull than a Q35. I do not think so. I had one of the original Q35 from Dario Brigishila. Mine turned a 18-8 or a 18-6/10 @ approx 7,900 to 8,000. They maybe close in HP, but not in torque.

Yeah I wanted to say that too. But I figured if Ed thought that was true I would be just wasting my breath.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:13 AM
Don M.

Don;Thanks for the info,my question on that one is like I usually do would buy it and find I need $200 of parts when for a $100 more could have got one that was complete!I see some such as US 41 for $185 complete for a beginner would that be better buy as I have no spare parts around etc?As said earlier then what else do I need also to put it totgether.See some adds that show a big squatre mounbt almost looks loike the one on this.I posted pictures of mount earlier on another post re this model!Think it was in the ARF as was trying to find out about it.Again thanks for you time!Bob
I never had a US41 but as I said I had a Q42 which is basically the same engine. I THINK they all come with a spring starter ( very easy to start ) and a cup mount. The cup mount has a bolt hole at each corner and if you need to push it out from the firewall ( distance to cowl or muffler clearance ) just use some spacers. Very simple to mount.

A magneto type gas engine like this is easier to hook up than a glow. Bolt the engine to the firewall, hook up the throttle, run ONE fuel line to the carb, let the vent hang out the bottom, HOOK UP A KILL SWITCH FOR THE MAGNETO and your done. You will need about a 16 oz. fuel tank and start off with the cheapest 18 - 10 or 20 - 8 prop you can find.

Too bad we didn't get together sooner I just sold that Q42 engine I had in my Pitts for $150.00 Cdn. Only had 150 flights on it but it was sitting in a box for 15 years so I finally turft it. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:17 AM
Iflyglow

I never had a US Engines either, like I said earlier, mine was a Dario Brigishila hand tweaked Q35. For thse of you who do not know who Dario was, he was the man who created the Quadra conversion from a chainsaw and started the whole gas thing.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:18 AM
Iflyglow

My Q35 was made in 1979 and was still flying last year, when I sold it on ebay.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:27 AM
moodier

Don;Thanks doesn't sound that complicated.Ya!wish I could find something like that just hate to spend several hundred without knowing what I am buying different if you know what all the different kinds are and what is good.Glow I understand these are one of those things I jump into and get wrong thing.I used to restore Indian M/C,bought an old Harley and what a nightmare all wrong and I didn't find out till after bought it.That cup mount sounds like would answer my question on mounting as there is 8"between firewall and front of cowl!Fellow here has lot of Quadra stuff but I think people have said to stay away from them??Motorman,Where are you in Wi.I live in Balsam Lake over by Mn.near St.Croix Falls!Have only about 4 weeks left out here then back there and no more flying!45 miles to field live on lake but no one to fly with!Get spoiled here fly everyday in the warm sunshine!!Probably won't get the Pitts in air before leave but over summer maybe can pick up what I need. Sometimes best to buy one complete then it is all there and in long run probably cheaper.I really appreciatte you fellows bothering to answer as have learned a lot from this post!Thanks Bob
Old 04-10-2006, 08:18 PM
Iflyglow

Moodier,
I live in Clintonville, which is about 35 miles north of Appleton. I miss the Quadra days. I would give a US 41 a chance, but if you can find a used Q42 I would go for that first.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:50 PM
moodier

Hi Motorman;So whats a Q45?Is that just a bigger Quadra .There seem to be Quadra 35 everywhere See lot of Zenoas advertised too.The US engines are good?Been watching RCU but have seen couple of US41s.Friend has some Quadra 35 they have points etc.He has several new blocks for the 35s but all in pieces.Very Confusing!
Wish I had someone around Wi.to fly with,Out here we fly everyday only couple days since Oct that weather was to bad to fly mainly wind!Belong to Rice Lake club but really to far away!
Have you ever dealt with this plane.Seems real lite weight with the foam construction.Sounds like Don has had couple of them.Thanks Bob
Old 04-11-2006, 12:05 AM
cappy1

I used to fly my Pitts witha Super Tigre 3000. 200 dollar engine.;
Old 04-11-2006, 04:59 AM
Don M.

ORIGINAL: cappy1

I used to fly my Pitts witha Super Tigre 3000. 200 dollar engine.;

Yes that's a good choice also. I have never owned one but everyone I have seen over the years has had to put an OS 1.08 carb on it to work right. But they are cheap and have more than enough power to fly this plane.

Moodier I don't think you want a Quadra with a points ignition unless your a Mech. from way back. It is one more thing you don't want to deal with. If you wait it out you should be able to buy a good magneto engine for $200.00 or less.

Get a hold of this guy www.rcignitions.com he has 1000's of posts on here and goes by the name of "RCING1" he is also in Arizonia and modifies / repairs Zenoah engines. He posted some info somewhere about a gas engine he was going to be selling for $180.00 brand new. Check him out, he may be your next door neighbor, who knows.

Back in 1989 when I aquired my old Byron Pitts I knew absolutely nothing about gas engines and no one was flying gas in my area ( still very few are ). I bought the Quadra 42 new, bolted it on the Pitts and flew the heck out of it for 150 flights. It took me one afternoon to get familiar with the engine and I had 0 problems after that. Go for it.