Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

which plane

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 01:20 AM
iflircaircraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which plane

Hi:
I have an OS-1.08 2 stroker and no airplane. I'm considering two kits, but can't decide on which to build.
I've looked at the Ultimate Pitts (90 to 2.2) by Lanier and the Skybolt (60-90) by Great Planes.
The 1.08 is obviously at the low end for the Pitts and top end for the Skybolt.
I've only have owned one biplane and it was a 049 scale.
I'm thinking that I'd rather over power and aircraft than to under power one, thus leaning towards the skybolt.
Both planes look great.
Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Tom

Old 01-11-2003, 09:06 AM
Damnathius

Default which plane

Hi Tom,

I've done several "overpowered" bipes, and also have seen the results of severe overpowering of bipes. Putting a 1.08 in a .90 size bipe sould not be a problem. I've had a .61 2 stroke in a .40 size sport bipe as well as a Saito .80 4 stroke in the same plane, a Saito .91 in a .40 size Great Lakes bipe, and am currently flying a 1/5th scale Tiger Moth (.90 to 1.2 4 stroke) with a Saito 1.5. None of these had any noticable adverse affects other than the Tiger which tends to torque *slightly* left when cramming the throttle to it... But it's a Tiger Moth so such action is pretty "unscale" and rarely used unless I'm just messing around.

Of course, gross overpowering, such as a Saito .52 in a .30 size Waco is NOT a good idea. First flight of my brother's setup torqued the little Waco into the dirt on takeoff... Ouch!

Anyway, I'd lean toward the Skybolt, as you'd have more fun with it than the underpowered Pitts.

Dave
Old 01-11-2003, 10:23 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Default which plane

Never under-power a Pitts... you'll always be unhappy with it.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:05 PM
corsair-wb

Default which plane

Hello

I have the supper skybolt with a t.t 120 in it and it is great. I just have to use the throtle a little more so as not to rip a wing off but have had great fun and no problems with it
Old 01-23-2003, 11:42 AM
Darkbird
My Feedback: (7)

Default which plane

Just about to build the Skybolt. Plan on using a Saito 1.50 in the front. I also plan on doing some mods to it to make it a little more 3D capable.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Postal FLyer
My Feedback: (9)

Default The only Plane

If you want some real action, slap that 1.08 in a Goldberg Ultimate and you will never regret it. I did and it was so much fun I had to be sedated after each flight. Oh yes one thing , Dont go with a single servo for all four ailerons. Use two in the bottom wing and....Well you will figure it out.