Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Need help finding muffler, and header.

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Need help finding muffler, and header.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 03:02 AM
SigKavalier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help finding muffler, and header.

Ok well I won this motor awhile back, and now I want to put it in something. It's a Yuhe 1.20 twin star. I hear they're not the greatest, but this one is supposed to have been gone through, and tuned up.
Anyway all I got was a motor, and very little information. Does anyone know where or what kind of header/muffler will fit on this engine?
Old 01-29-2003, 01:18 PM
SigKavalier

If this works, and it helps here's picture of the exhaust side of the engine. The bolt holes are approx 1" apart, and the width of the exhaust opening is slightly less than 1/2"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	51169_13938.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	31600  
Old 01-31-2003, 11:55 AM
SigKavalier

Ok I'm really lost here. Can someone maybe point me towards some exhausts designed for similar sized twin 2-stroke engines?
Old 01-31-2003, 02:46 PM
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone posted some information a while back about a guy down in Florida who builds custom exhausts for a reasonable price based on your measurements. I also saw his ad in one of the mags at about that same time. Probably RC Report as that's the only one I've read lately.
Maybe you could do a search for custom exhaust or custom mufflers.
Old 01-31-2003, 02:53 PM
CranstonSnord

Default Bold Muffler

That's the name of the company. I believe his name was Karl. He will modify or custom make mufflers and headers.

Mark
Old 01-31-2003, 03:11 PM
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're right Mark. A quick search for Bold Muffler resulted in the phone number; 561-344-8785
Old 01-31-2003, 05:57 PM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

Look for Bison or Mac headers, They might be able to adapt something to fit.
Another Idea is to use some Aluminum flat stock and cut a adapter to a existing muffler. Usually only needs to be .25 or so thick. Easily cut and filed to tolerance.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:33 PM
dork_blaster
My Feedback: (14)

Default Another option

You could try K&S and put together your own. They have a multitude of exhaust flanges at this link:

http://www.krumscheid-metallwaren.de/html/fittings.html

They list them by exhaust opening dimensions (width and height), and bolt separation. I would've tried to look one up for you, but you didn't provide enough info (like the height of the opening), and "approx" doesn't cut it usually.

DB

warning - got to be good with brazing or silver soldering steel, or I would recommend getting someone to do this for you.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:26 PM
RJConnet

Default Yuhe 1.20

Before you spend a lot of money in mufflers etc. you maybe should just run it open exhaust to see if it's worth the investment. These engines are not known as the finest example of chinese engine building.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:13 PM
SigKavalier

Ok thanks for everyone's help. I've heard some not so good things about these engines, but it usually relates to a poor review done on the 2.40 twin star.
This one has been gone through and tuned and adjusted to run right. I'll still have to run it up though.
Old 02-02-2003, 02:19 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had Jim Bisson custom make me mufflers for some of my own design twins. He is excellent to work with and good pricing.

Try contacting him and ask him what he can make for you...

AJC

http://www.bissonmufflers.com/en/index.html
Old 02-03-2003, 05:40 AM
SigKavalier

Ok thanks for everyone's suggestions. Hopefully I'll find one I can fit or have one made. Before I got it this engine was sent to be worked over, and from everything I can tell by examining it. It should really run nice and smooth. The compression is excellent, and smooth, and if I look into the cylinders I can see where it's been polished. Also I can tell the engines been completely resealed. I'm going to run it up here in a couple of days to see how it does. I'm breaking in a new OS .40, and trying to balance the rotor on my MF480 so my engine testing palette is pretty full ATM.
Old 02-05-2003, 03:13 AM
SigKavalier

I ran it up today without a muffler. Loud, but it popped off easy once the fuel got to it. Throttle response was decent or better from what I can tell. I think I need to prop it down some as 14" is a little much I think. Power seemed good though although I have no way to check RPM's. I doubt it's putting out as well as some hi-performance engines, but I imagine on a plane rated for a max of 1.20 that it will perform well.