Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Hooked********

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Hooked********

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 12:44 PM
fastgrafix2
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooked********

Any body know about the mrc radio's and servos and the sig kadet? I know its old as I said I am new to Rc I got this plane from someone that owed me 125.00 so he gave it to me instead, anyway at the time i wasnt even interested. sitting there looking at it I got curious....Apon further investigation the radio servos and the freq. was diff from the MRC radio, i got even more curious, so i went to the Local Hobby shop with the plane and we chatted for almost 2-3 hrs about the pkane...he got it started, dont know when it ran last, looked it over tighted up a few thing and then i got hooked.... he mentioned that the mrc radios were illigal to use now? plus he explained servos and so on,
well when i left i bought a gal of gas and a starter. i was hooked wanted to fly this plane. i came home sat up all night changing the servos that were in the which were futaba i guess and i filanly figured it out and got the other ones in that the mrc ubit series 775 what i want to know is what he said true about the mrc units? I cant wait for the snow to leave for me to try and fly this okd baby. i will KIT and let anyone know the progress i have made flying and all learning on my own: oh yeah he said it was a 1980 sig kadet . a trainer pkane which is cool and if i wreck it hay its only 125.00 bucks...........confused:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	53393_27443.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	33238  
Old 02-07-2003, 02:01 PM
DSJBEAN

Default Hooked********

What hobby shop did you go to. I would highly recommend you get an instructor before you attempt to fly the plane on your own. We fly at the Greater Pittsburgh ARCS field in Bavington. Thursday nights are the designated training nights once the weather warms up. The club meetings are the 4th Thursday of every month at the Impreial Community center. They start at 8:00 til summer hits then they start at 8:30 pm. A link to the official club page is

http://pgharcs.home.attbi.com/index.htm

and a link to my club page is

http://www.gparcs.com

If you have any questions feel free to PM me or email me at

[email protected].

What part of Pgh are you from?
Old 02-07-2003, 05:47 PM
Wonder
My Feedback: (7)

Default Hooked********

Fastgrafix, that is a nice plane you got. I don't know anything about MRC radios but Sig makes a real nice kit and the Kadet is a good trainer.
I would recomend you take dsjbean's advise and go to his club field and get some training.
No since putting it in just because it was cheap!

Tim
Old 02-07-2003, 10:38 PM
Tattoo

Default Hooked********

I bought an MRC radio in 1977...haden't even heard of Futaba yet! I haven't even seen one since the very early 80's so I just about bet it's a pre 1991 AM wide band radio that is no longer allowed at AMA fields. If it works and you're flying on private property out in the middle of nowhere...well, no one can stop ya...but near civilization in this day in age of more radio waves, cell phones, resonating frequencies...etc...etc...than you can think of...I wouldn't use it, and like the hobby shop guy said...they won't let you at AMA fields anyways.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:01 AM
fastgrafix2

Default Hooked********

thats something like the guy said at the hobbie shop he said I had too... I spelled the name wrong it's (futaba radio), When i got the plane it had a futaba servo's and a receive in it but the radio that came with it didnt match and so i got curious about the flying thing and as i said was hooked. went to the hobbu shop in cannonsburg can rem. the name yet i will post it when i rem. i would like to go to the airfeild to fly . i put the other servos from the mcr unit it and havent flown or attempted to fly yet not nice enough yet, i want to make sure i will enjoy iy before i spend tons of money into a Hobby that just might fade in a few..(for me)
lol i am going to invest in a new radio and will check out the web site for your club... i am interested, also i am trying to respond to each person here so i dont have to go to each every one
I am new to this posting too so please bare with me later.

Name:	53535_27443.jpg
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	33239  
Old 02-08-2003, 02:41 AM
james04

Default Hooked********

fastgrafix2

DON'T DO IT!

You will crash your new plane. Trust me I tried to do it. I'm sure you will be able to find someone who would be willing to take it up. Even if that type of radio is not legal. Its better than you crashing after 3 seconds of fly time. I know it sucks having to wait but if you are really interested in flying your going to need at least some help. See if one of the hobby shops around you has a flight sim that you can try in the meantime.

Good luck!
James
Old 02-08-2003, 04:51 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hooked********

If $125 isn't a big deal for you, do yourself a favor and buy the Great Planes REALFLIGHT RC simulator. It will let you get in 'the air' immediatley, and when springtime comes around, you will have a real plane that you can fly all summer long. Don't blow a great trainer on a whim. You will crash without some help.
Old 02-08-2003, 05:30 AM
Steve Guinn

Default Hooked********

Its not "if I wreck it", it's when I wreck it, which should be about 3 seconds after you leave the ground unless you get an instructor.
Welcome
Old 02-08-2003, 11:49 AM
fastgrafix2

Default no faith?

i think i know i may wreck it but thats might. (Chance i take)reason to buy a plane and get someoe to fly it up for me and down . Have some confidets, for all that, **** let me buy you a plane to fly, might as well....i think that it is my plane, i am not mad or upset, i do agree with the training but i dont think i will need someone to fly for me......if i put my money out why not let me crash and burn if it happens like that..............lol
what i wanted was some advise for me as a newbie, about the radio i had. i do agree with the change because, I dont know much about it and am open to advise from others in rc, but i dont see myself learning if everyone else is taking off and landing my plane... i know and understand the risks of trying own my own.about the wreckin' thats why i am here trying to find out info
or advise...i will be changing servo's like recomended. but i dont think i want someone else to fly my plane....what happens if they wreck it ? are they going to pay for it....i trhink not but if i wreck it it's my fault...........smile i just got mixed emotiions.....any way i am very interested in rc, need advise even some one to show me the ropes but i dont need a pilot. instructions are welcome and i dont mean to sound ignorant so i must say i am sorry to those offering advise. i am taking everyones thoughts and keeping what i want, all the rest well, if its right then i guess it will be remembered and not a waste.

Name:	53650_27443.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	33240  
Old 02-08-2003, 11:54 AM
fastgrafix2

Default REALFLIGHT RC simulator

I am looking into this, i really dont wanna wreck it...because it is old and still a good plane...my first, i think that 125.00 is not that much money...judging from the cost of the newer planes....if i fly it first or wreck it the question is if i really get into the rc and someone else doing it for me isnt my idea of fun, but allot of the things you guys are saying is true.... i am looking into a flight rc simulator, can anyone recomend a good one? thanks much

Name:	53651_27443.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	33241  
Old 02-08-2003, 03:37 PM
Steve Guinn

Default Hooked********

The instructor is going to let you fly the airplane. He is there to save your airplane WHEN you get in trouble.
There is slim chance the instructor could crash it, if it was not built correctly. It is a 100% certainty you will crash it.
GET AN INSTRUCTOR, PLEASE

RealFlight G2, to answer the simulator question.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:53 PM
LoboFlyer

Default Hooked********

Originally posted by Tattoo
I bought an MRC radio in 1977...haden't even heard of Futaba yet! I haven't even seen one since the very early 80's so I just about bet it's a pre 1991 AM wide band radio that is no longer allowed at AMA fields. If it works and you're flying on private property out in the middle of nowhere...well, no one can stop ya...but near civilization in this day in age of more radio waves, cell phones, resonating frequencies...etc...etc...than you can think of...I wouldn't use it, and like the hobby shop guy said...they won't let you at AMA fields anyways.

Not just an AMA rule...its an FCC rule. If you get caught using an illegal transmitter, they will (best case) give you a warning, (worst case) could take your RC stuff and levy a hefty fine.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:08 PM
fastgrafix2

Default i am taking everyones advice

ok ok ok enough of the warnings.lol
i am taking everyones advice,
i do not wantto wreck it and it just seams as though everyone is being pushy, do this do that dont do this,
its cool everyone is worried and i do apprec the warnings
and all and beleive me, i dont need the trouble nor the wreckage either.when does everyone fly. is there a software i can get to help in the meain time?
i has a flight sim but thats to complicated for me to understand
i need to learn hands on, trile and error.....sorta.............lol
Old 02-10-2003, 07:43 AM
Shogun
My Feedback: (2)

Default Training

You know I have taught at least a dozen people to fly in the last 15 years. I can honestly say that those that took the time to enlist the aid of an instructor very quickly learned that they were not just leaning to fly a toy plane. Most were blown away by the "fraternity" that model builder/flyers are and all of the aspects the hobby entails.

I really don't think that anyone here is being pushy but of course it is very hard to get a strong opinion across in text here on this board. I too will chime in and say that the chance of success with ANY multi-channel model is pretty much non existant if you go it alone.

On the other hand....

If you really think that this is something that might be of interest to you. You beleive that you really want to try it and be successful at accomplishing the goal of mastering flying one of these models. Simply put, a little help goes a LONG way in this hobby and many that have gone this route have found that there was far more to r/c planes than simply flying them.

I think that ALL of us here share the desire to see as many new comers as possible have success and enjoyment with this hobby and we have all seen our share of new guys show up at the field, not ask for help, attempt to fly, destroy the model and go home in disgust never to return.

I personally hate to see that happen because every time it does I miss an opportunity to get to know someone new that shares a passion I have enjoyed for many years.

All I am saying really is that it may only seem like $125 to you right now but that's a pretty small investment for something that for many of us has turned into a lifetime of enjoyment.

I have had MANY hobbies and intestes but none of them has ever compared to R/C flying. I may get busy and get away from it from time to time but I always seem to come back to it and never regret it when I do.

Oh and incidentally, I learned to fly on a Sig Kadet in 1980. It's a great trainer when set up with 3 channels. Kadets are also pretty tuff and can take a beating as well but won't tolerate a nose in impact.

Good flying!
Old 02-10-2003, 06:26 PM
Giant Scale

Default Hooked********

I see nothing wrong with having an instructor check out a plane before you fly it. In fact I have our club instructor test fly all my new planes. From my trainer to my giant scale planes they are all checked out before I fly them. The reason for this is that he has many many more years experience that I have flying and trimming out planes. Also if something should go wrong I feel he is able to handle the situation better than I can. As far as I am concerned two heads are better than one when it comes to checking out a new plane. When you bring a new plane to the field it is easy to overlook something. It is important to know your limitations as a pilot, I'm not too proud to ask for help. My instructor is always asking me " so what did you bring for me to fly this weekend? "
Old 02-11-2003, 02:00 AM
Sense963
My Feedback: (10)

Default Hooked********

My 2 cents: if someone doesn't care about their plane, fine. Respect the property of the guys CAR or HOUSE you pile it into...when something like that happens, about a million innocent guys suffer the consequences of yet "another toy plane nuisance..."
Old 02-11-2003, 07:44 AM
fastgrafix2

Default OK GETTING INSTRUCTOR

ok guys i will look for an instructor
to help me
like the new look of the plane

Name:	54536_27443.jpg
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	33242  
Old 02-11-2003, 11:12 PM
Heath

Default Hooked********

Hey Fast,

Just wanted to chime in because every time I read of someone hesitant to go with an instructor, it seems its based on a misinformed view of what it entails. Having just gone through the experience, allow me to explain what its like.

First, it costs nothing, except maybe an appreciation lunch for the instructor. They do this on a volunteer basis. You call the local club and get the names of a few instructors and then call some to find someone who's available when you can fly. Or, as has been mentioned, some clubs have a 'training night' when you can just show up.

Either way, the instructor will first look over your plane and check it out for air-worthiness, helping you fix anything that might make it crash. Once you're ready to fly, you'll hook up two controllers together, called a 'buddy-box' system. The instructor's box is boss and controls the plane, except when he holds down a button which then gives you control. If anything gets out of hand, he can simply release the button and he has control again, to prevent a crash. He'll take the plane off, trim it out get it good and high, and then pass control over to you.

He'll talk you through manuevers, teaching you control. Then, he'll land it for you, in one piece. The amount of time it takes you to solo depends on you, but if you get a simulator and practice, you can be landing on your own after only 1-3 lessons.

Realflight G2 lite will put you out about $120-150, or you can go to eBay and buy a $20 simulator cord that hooks your transmitter up to the computer and comes with a free simulator called "FMS." FMS isn't as good as G2, but its more than adequate to get in some 'stick time' while you wait for warm weather. The landings and take-offs just aren't very realistic on it.

The reason everyone is so pushy about an instructor is that they don't want to see you destroy your model. It is your model to destroy, but if you were positive you'd crash, you wouldn't do it, would you? They're just trying to convince you that you WILL crash if you try it on your own. If you're not convinced, spend the $20 on eBay and you'll be amazed at how quickly you crash on your first flight. Took me about 3 minutes!!

These planes are really fast (even the trainers) and you just don't have enough time to react when you're learning. Plus, the motor and prop are powerful and really dangerous. It is really easy to hurt someone, including yourself, if the plane gets out of control.

As far as a controller, you can again go to eBay and get a basic 4 channel controller and receiver for around $50 that is FCC legal. Switch out the receiver, your servos will be fine, and you're good to go.

So, for about $70, and little extra hassle of coordinating your time with someone else, you'll have an enjoyable experience flying for the first time. And if you decide you don't like it, you can turn around and resell your ready-to-fly system on eBay, or locally, and easily get $175 out of it vs. having an expensive lawn dart that was rendered into a pile of metal and balsa.

Please don't think everyone's being pushy, they're just trying to convey that flying these things is MUCH harder than you think at first. Its NOT rocket-science, mind you, it just takes a little practice at first to get the motor-skills necessary.

Hope this was of help. Ask if you have questions on how to get stuff set up, etc.

Good luck,

Heath
Old 02-12-2003, 02:15 AM
fastgrafix2

Default ok Heres the REal reason

I do have a medical condition which makes it very hard for me to meet new people, dont know why just, Hard to explain,
I have real bad mood swing and choose not to take a fit on the instructer if my moods swing the wrong way, Don't worry i do thak meds for it. I will get an instructor when i get the confidence i need to meet someone new. I dont have problems here because
even though you are a human on the other side, tek .for me it is just a cpu and some key boards. if this could explain some things about my trail and error, see its the just walking up to someone i do not know and ask for help....Can you understand? If not
do a search on *Bi-polor. it is a chemical in-balance of the brain,
some times i am quick witted and then sometimes i can be as dumb as an ox, anyway i hope this is clear now thanks for all the info it is a big help, i will take the advice I SWEAR!!!!! Thats why i think i need to stick to the ground. But i want to do this as a confidence builder for me. Hay I can Fly A plane ,but i dont know

Name:	54695_27443.jpg
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	33243  
Old 02-12-2003, 03:57 AM
Shogun
My Feedback: (2)

Default Well then....

...you are in the right hobby then!

I can't state this strongly enough.

R/C flyers have to be some of the friendliest people I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. Sure there are a some goofballs in every organization but by and large the vast majority will bend over backwards to help the newcomer out.

Relax and check with the local hobby shop and find out where the local club meets, attend a metting and stand in the back and just watch and listen. I guarantee someone friendly will strike up a conversation with you and from that point on your on your way.

Enjoy!
Old 02-12-2003, 12:29 PM
DSJBEAN

Default Hooked********

I have your number at home so if weather permits we'll give you a call this weekend if we decide to go out. As someone above stated you will find the 99% of the people in this hobby will go out of there way to help a fellow flier or someone just learning.

Look forward to talking with you soon.

Doug
Old 02-12-2003, 03:01 PM
Heath

Default Hooked********

Ahhh, makes perfect sense now. Believe me, I understand bi-polar disorder all too well. My best friend and business partner is bi-polar. Well, I would encourage you to invest in FMS. Or, if you can spring for $130, Realflight G2 Lite. You can then get a bunch of stick time in on your computer and will feel much less anxious when it comes time to have some instructor time.

Sounds like there are some people here on the board that are close by willing to help, too.

Good luck, I think you'll really enjoy this hobby. Its a blast.

Heath
Old 02-12-2003, 03:36 PM
G.F. Reid

Default Hooked********

One more suggestion...If you've never really been exposed to the hobby, go out to a local flying field sometime and just plain watch for a while. It'll be a real eye opener for you to see what all is really involved in controlling a 5 pound object in three dimensions as it barrels through space.
It's like riding a bicycle. Very tough until somebody teaches you how. Even then, you'll take a tumble every once in a while but they become more infrequent as the experience level goes up.
Also, as for your bipolar disorder, I think if you explain it to your instructor just as you have to us here, he's likely to be very understanding. Doug has made you a great offer. You won't regret taking him up on it.
Who knows, this hobby could very well be the best therapy you could ever have!
Old 02-12-2003, 05:57 PM
hookedonrc

Default Hooked********

It sounds like you have decided on the instructor route, but just in case you have any doubts. I started last year and can't recommend the instructor method enough. My thougt would be to explain your situation upfront. I think that the response will be similar to what you have seen here. If not, maybe you have the wrong instructor. Yes, I have crashed my plane, learned to repair it, and fly it again. Even the crashing has its benefits in learning the repair techniques. And Yes, even my instructor had a hand in one, but you know, I did have a lot more of flying between crashes because I had help. Sometimes you get so excited you just think about nothing but getting in the air. An instructor will keep you leveled and focused on what you need to do to get going. He can even tell when it is time to back off of learning new techniques and give you a rest for just some fun flying. I HIGHLY recommend this route.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:23 AM
fastgrafix2

Default Do you think?

Do you think i am? well ok then i should fit right in with all the nuts and bolts in the feild..lol
Yes with an instructor. I have been to the LHS in search of thee'
all i have to do is get the right radio now and at least try it.
I think it will be cool, i owe myself that much, might be a new hobby for me .lol
later
waiting to fly!
i would rather fly like an Eagle then just fly like a duck, Instructor needed Pgh Pa.....
i will be puting up a link With pics on my web pages for future
lookers that want to see the updates i do to my plane. i will post the site when i am done.so far i have changed the color of the plane from yellow and black to yellow and blue.
I make decals so i might just make the off the cpu and plotter
and put the on..... that gives me an idea!!!!
do people use costom decals on their planes?
Like the new Blue...next is the plane numbers and decals
any body have any idea's? well let me know.....

Name:	54878_27443.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	33244  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.