Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Top Flight .60 size P-51

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Top Flight .60 size P-51

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 01:38 AM
onytay
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flight .60 size P-51

Im finishing up a Top Flight P-51 as I speek, my question is, this aircraft is fully sheeted, and I would like to paint it insted of covering. Is there a technice that doesn't involve glassing it?
Old 01-03-2004, 08:09 PM
Dave G

Default RE: Top Flight .60 size P-51

Onytay, On a model this size the build up of weight from paint coud be an issue. I've covered sheeted models with silkspan to "seal" the sheeting. The silkspan paints easily, but watch the volume of paint applied.

Good Luck.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Ernest-T
My Feedback: (7)

Having built this kit, I would agree with Dave G that paint could impose a further weight penalty on an already heavy plane (especially if you are using retracts). This would not be as much a factor with the 1/5 scale version, but could be with the 1/7 size.

Having said that, I do know some guys that can glass and paint lighter than I can Monokote. Everything I touch turns to lead.

I read an article recently about a technique for using micro balloons to fill the weave of the glass cloth that looked really light. I can't find the link now?
Old 01-06-2004, 09:41 PM
Flak

Onytay,
I would not be afraid of glass and paint as long as you don't over do it. I have a TF red box P-51B, glassed and painted with automotive military paint. She flies like a dream. Very realistic. She has flaps and Rom Air retracts and scale cockpit. She can't go verticle on take off, but she is after all a Warbird. She is powered by a ST .61 engine. General Chuck Yeager grinned from ear to ear when he autographed her hood and said, "Oh, I remember this one!"
"Keep 'Em Flying!"
Flak