Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

90 degree exhaust header

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

90 degree exhaust header

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 02:49 PM
flynutz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 degree exhaust header

How do you do it or where can you buy it......a 90 degree head pipe for a Magnum 52 four stroke? If I could get the pipe to 90 degrees, the entire installation would be inside the cowl on my Lanier Citabria.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:55 PM
Juice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 90 degree exhaust header

I also needed a 90 degree bend on the header pipe of my RCV 90. The original pipe had a bend that made the muffler stick out of the cowl.

I used a Dremel to cut the header pipe into three sections of equal length. I then grinded away at the cuts so that when you put the three pieces back together it makes a 90 degree bend. Then I went to a local welding shop and had them TIG weld the three pieces back together. They charged me $20 CDN (about $15 USD at the time). I'm no welding expert, but the ARC welders wouldn't accept the job. They say the arcs will melt the threads on the pipe. They were the ones who told me to find a TIG welder.

The attached picture is the final result. The welder told me instructions to clean it to make it shiny again, but I didn't bother. It has held up pretty well so far.

Juice
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51136.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	88058