Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Is stick dead?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 02:51 AM
Sunsanvil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is stick dead?

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one on earth who actually prefers stick for driving. I've always found more control, especially in the throttle. I know I'm not alone because whenever the topic comes up there are always a few who chime as feeling the same way. Yet there is almost nothing on the market! Futaba's 4GS is a nice radio, but it is almost double the price of their 4PM despite the two having virtually the same guts. Using an Air radio doesn't fit the bill in that gimbal sticks are not what we are after.
The following users liked this post:
JakeRobb (11-07-2022)
Old 11-07-2022, 02:47 PM
JakeRobb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this post searching for the same question. I hate pistol-grip controllers! Like you said, it's hard to be precise with the throttle. I also find the steering unintuitive and the brake/reverse to be unergonomic.

I'm modernizing an old Tamiya Hornet, and I was planning on replacing my old Futaba Attack 75MHz stick tx with a modern 2.4GHz setup -- but it doesn't seem like there's anything out there I'd actually want to use!

Maybe if I bump this thread, somebody will reply and tell me about some suitable radio. You mentioned the 4GS, and I assume the 4GRS is the replacement. I have no need for all that fanciness, and I would really rather not pay $380. If I were going to pay that much, I'd want a TX that I could also use for a heli or multirotor someday. Do any of the fancy flight controllers allow you to lock each stick to one axis?
Old 11-07-2022, 03:04 PM
Sunsanvil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never found an equitable solution.

The best idea I had was to get an old (even non-functioning) Futaba stick controller off ebay and transplant the innards of a 3PRKA into it. I never got serious about it though. I dont know for example if the angular trow of the pots would be the same etc.
Old 11-07-2022, 08:24 PM
JakeRobb

Well, I’ve done some more searching now, and it seems like the (discontinued) Futaba 3GR-FS 2.4GHz is the answer — assuming I can find a used one!
Old 11-08-2022, 07:27 AM
JakeRobb

The idea that these are pretty much nonexistent honestly blows my mind.

Imagine if, after many years of the current design, some car manufacturer decided to orient the steering wheel sideways, and also redesigned it so it looked like a wheel and tire -- and then eliminated the brake pedal and modified the accelerator so that you had to hook your foot under it and pull up to pull down. Inexplicably, the entire industry follows suit, until at some point there is only one car on the market with the controls we all know today -- and it's a Tesla Model Y. Expensive, weirdly proportioned, tons of unnecessary bells and whistles, and pretty much nobody has one.

I found a used, very nice condition 3GR 2.4 on eBay! It wasn't cheap, but it was less than a 4GRS. With receiver and two servos.