Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

carden 33% extra 300

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 08:24 PM
forgotenplane17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carden 33% extra 300

Hey, i reicently bought a 1/3 scale extra 300 from carden aircraft. this is my first 1/3 scale aircraft and was wondering what size engine, what torque servos you would use, do you use 1 or 2 recievers? how many bateries do you use

if anyone out there has built one of these how well does it fly.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:13 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

You will want a 100cc engine, some say the ZDZ 80 will work also, but I think you will be much happier with a 100.

minimum of 2 HIGH torque servo on the rudder (130 oz or better), one of the same servo on each elev half, and a min. of 90 oz on the ailerons.

In JR terms......2 8411 on rudder MINIMUM
1 8411 on EACH ELEV half
2 4131 on EACH AiLERON

This is my personal MINIMUM requirement

BTW......I have been thinking about switching to HITEC
Old 02-08-2003, 10:03 PM
Giant Scale

Alot depends on your budget

engine zdz-80,zdz-100,bme-102,da-100,3w-100
servos
your choice
From Hitec 5645/5945 or 645/945
From Futaba 9202,9203,9405,9402,9206,9252,9451
From Jr 8411,4721

elevator 1 per half
aileron 1 per aileron
rudder 2 on pull-pull or 1 hitec 5735, futaba 5301,5050
throttle 1 standard
choke 1 standard

I would use 1 receiver 8 or 9 channel
2-6 volt batteries,2700+mah,Nicad or Nimh, 2 switches
Use good quality hardware from rocket city, surelink,dubro..etc
When build and set up as instructed a sweeet flying plane
Old 02-08-2003, 10:46 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

GIANT SCALE's suggestions are good......However, I like using 2 servos on AILERONS once you get into the 33% and above scale planes. Reason is to reduce any TWIST that the aileron may see from haveing such a long span and using just one servo. If you keep the TWIST minimized, you do not have to have as much overall throw.

The TWIST that I am speaking of is that which would be caused from air movement over the aileron during deflection
Old 02-09-2003, 01:02 AM
shill
My Feedback: (22)

I will also second the 2 servos on the ailerons it also helps reduce servo gear wear with 2 servos per aileron which can be a big problem on larger airplanes.

I would also recommend 2 recievers and 2 Batteries.

For this type airplane I would stick with a 100cc twin size motor any of the above that were listed are fine I personally run DA but that is my choice from customer service and the owner of DAs reputation and dealings with him he is an A+++++ great guy to deal with. When I bought my first DA he said if i did not like it he would buy it back cant beat that.

I run Hitec 5945s for all surfaces in 35% and 40% size planes.
with hitec suprem recievers.

These are just my opinions you will get alot more you have to check things out and decide for yourself.

Steve Hill
Old 02-09-2003, 04:24 PM
forgotenplane17

hey cool thanks guys i'm loking forward to the project and eventualy flying it thanks
Old 02-09-2003, 05:24 PM
JLB
My Feedback: (2)

Good advice from all except I would skip the dual receivers. I quit using them as it just seems to more expense and items to fail than justifies the return. True, some folks use them and they work fine but you never hear about the ones that experience reduced range and receivers "talking" to each other requiring rearranging the setup to solve them. Most dual receiver installs were an attempt to reduce the amount of current carried by the receiver bus due to many servos not increased reliability. The failure rate of todays receivers is very small and something else is more likely fail.
Old 02-09-2003, 05:33 PM
JLB
My Feedback: (2)

I forgot to respond to the most important part of your post. I have had two of these and you're going to love them. I've become very partial to Carden kits as the wood has always been great and everything fits like a glove. They fly just super and I think you'll enjoy both the building and flying immensely. If you can afford it, definitely go with a 100 twin. I had one with a Sachs 5.8 and one with a DA 100. The 5.8 flew very well but the DA100 was a lot more fun.
Old 02-09-2003, 05:34 PM
shill

I Have personally landed a plane with 1 reciever only working I have not had any problems with reduced range . I also have seen another plane land with only 1 reciever working .
My reasoning behind 2 recievers is if you are going to run dual batts and switches it is not that much extra weight and cost to carry the 2nd reciever and to me the extra insurance of the second reciever is minimal to the overall cost of the airplane of this size. So I do not recommend it just to split up the servo bus load but as a piece of mind overall. The plane I landed was a Fiberclassic 2.6 meter so if I only had 1 reciever I might not have an airplane as I still do.

Again just my opinion

Steve
Old 02-10-2003, 09:33 PM
MarkShapiro
My Feedback: (52)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dual receivers

I don't want to start a debate on single vs. double receivers, but I never understood how you could save a plane from a crash if one receiver goes out and the second receiver is only controlling half of the control surfaces. I have read posts where guys split the receiver duties by having, for example, one receiver control the left side of the airplane and the second receiver controlling the right side. "Splain dat one to me Lucy."
Old 02-10-2003, 10:53 PM
shill

Well I have personally done it first of all you have the left aileron on 1 reciever and the right elevator on the same reciever and viceversa for the other the only real problem is throttle if you do not have some kind of kill set up on both recievers but i was lucky enough it was the reciever that the throttle was not on. as for flying the plane it does not roll as fast or respond to the elevator as well when flying but with the opposite aileron working verses the elevator you have to hold some aileron as you flair the plane because it will try to pull to which ever elevator is working as in roll that way but it is very easy to fly and land a plane like this you also notice you need alot more elevator to flair for landing but is very easily done I do not see what you mean about you do not see how you can save an airplane with only one reciever working it is really simple the plane will still fly with only 1/2 of the control surfaces working just not as responsive takes more control imput to get it to do what you want but I personall think it is very well worth having the 2 recievers and as for the throttle I am going to go to a servo on the choke so I can kill the motot that way if I need so throttle on 1 reciever and choke on the other. Hope this helps explain it. Or should I have said the plane is still flyable but just not as responsive with the loss of half of the control surfaces

Steve
Old 02-11-2003, 02:38 AM
MarkShapiro
My Feedback: (52)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply, Steve. I honestly did not consider exactly how the two receivers would be set up. As I mentioned in my last post, I thought the control surfaces were split in half between the to RX. Obviously I had wrong information. Thanks.