Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Bought the Traxxas Nitro Sport RTR

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:30 PM
stylicho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought the Traxxas Nitro Sport RTR

Would you consider this a good vehicle? I think by watching some youtube videos it will handle both grass and dirt since it looks like it has some clearance underneath with pretty big tires.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:17 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Bought the Traxxas Nitro Sport RTR

It is OK. i had one years ago. its a older model with a small motor. that said, the motor is pretty decent.
overall the truck isnt bad, but for the money i would have bought a different truck.
just make sure to take your time with the break-in process and you will have fun.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:29 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its OK at best.

get something like a HPI MT-2 Rustler, ofna CR.5 or something like that, the nitro sport would be the lowest on the nitro list.

Traxxas is a rip-off new, you get good deals getting used, but be prepared to make repairs before taking it out for the first time.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:27 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts

nitro sprot is probably the worst off road vehicle traxxas makes.  for the same price you can get an HPI firestorm that is superior in every way
Old 01-14-2011, 02:31 PM
stylicho

I just looked up the Firestorm a few hours back. And it was about the same price. I plan on getting different brands as I move along in the hobby anyways. What would you consider a problem with the Sport? I know it has a relatively small engine but Im fine with that for now.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:54 PM
The_Shark

half plastic chassis, poor engine (not just small), no foam inserts, old design, poor proformance, cheap parts.

if there is anyway you can bring it back, do so, if not you can still have fun, but for the money you can have something else much better.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:59 PM
suburban_hooligan

<div>2 of my friends had them way back. the key things i remember (other than the lack of power which wasn't really that big of an issue) was absolutly horrible handling, appalling flight control,and an engine that had days when it wouldn't start. the ez-start system it had was just as temperamental. thank god for aftermarketpull starters. it wouldn't hold a tune. wheelalignment issuesone being so bad thatwe never could get it to track in a straight line. a lot of broken steering servo's and suspension parts</div><div>both owners replaced the trucks within2 years</div>
Old 01-15-2011, 06:25 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey... they aren't horrible first cars. Parts are cheap and abundant, the pro 15 is an awesome beginner engine, and they are fairly tough. I was playing with one one the other day, its no rc10gt, but it kept me amused for a few hours. Just don't really bash it hard, it cant take massive jumps or anything, but is perfect for a grassy yard or field. People seem to hate them around here, but everyone I know who has had them thinks they were great. One person I know has had his for like 8 years, or since whenever they first came out, still runs and drives.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:43 AM
schuttman

Location: m\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'boro, TN

Spend a little more money it will be better for you in the long run, you will enjoy the
hobby more.
Their is nothing worse than a bad R/C, you will have spent money that will be wasted,
be discusted with a truck or car that you will throw over to the side and not run it.
Associated or Losi top of the line, HPI has some good cars and trucks, I would
stick with one of those, JMO...........
Old 01-15-2011, 09:42 AM
Nitro Racer 18

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

its OK at best.

get something like a HPI MT-2 Rustler, ofna CR.5 or something like that, the nitro sport would be the lowest on the nitro list.

Traxxas is a rip-off new, you get good deals getting used, but be prepared to make repairs before taking it out for the first time.
The HPI MT-2 is in a completely different class. It's like comparing a piece of cardboard to a Ferrari.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:51 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 82 Likes on 75 Posts

I had a nitro sport - it was my first nitro. Being that it didnt cost much, I found it to be a good test mule to get into the hobby. Yes, there are better rigs out there but one doesnt need to spend a small fortune on something that much better to learn on. If you make a mistake and break something, or burn the engine up it isnt that hard nor expensive to fix. The only thing I ever had problems with was the direct steering - it has its limits. Bellcrank steering is far better, but at least the Sport comes with a servo saver. The sport uses the same suspension and driveline as the nitro rustler and there are a lot of N. Rusty's out there that handle just fine. The only real differences is the chassis. I personally never had a problem with the chassis bending or breaking. I broke suspension arms, shock towers, and blew the diff out a few times but thats it, really. Considering it was my first nitro and had no idea what I was doing, I did get a lot of use out of it and had a lot of fun with it (and learned a lot about nitro).

IMO - its not a bad starter nitro car. As skill improves, one will realize it isnt a million dollar ride. I converted mine to the rustler chassis/bellcrank steering and was far happier with its handling though it wasn't a bad handling car to start with. (Unlike some, I never had a problem getting the car to go straight either.)

The first generation ez-starter wasn't that great. I pitched mine in favor of a pullstart.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:27 AM
s7jstep1

hey i say you got a truck and you are now in the hobby, thats a win to me. all these people that bash cars because they have had, or have heard of sombody who has had a bad experience are forgetting the fact that its your first truck and are just getting into the hobby. personally, i have never had any experience with the nitro sport but i have owned 4 traxxas trucks and traxxas is a good name brand company (despite what many people will tell you) they have lots of aftermarket and replacement parts for their trucks and i think you will do just fine. congrats on the purchase. hope to see you get hooked in this hobby. most importantly remember to have fun
Old 01-15-2011, 11:30 AM
suburban_hooligan

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

(Unlike some, I never had a problem getting the car to go straight either.)
we never did figure that out ether. my theory was the steering servo sucked. and there was a lot of slop in the front end andthe wheels would take a set and the truck would drift one direction or the other. if you had turned right it would drift right. if you had turned left it would go left. like the servo wasn't centering all the way. it was annoying to say the lest.<div>undisputed piss off king award goes to the electric rustler he replaced it with though. fixed links. after 5 or 6 weeks of use (long hard use) they became flexible and worn out. you could watch the wheel camber change under acceleration and cornering. kid was going through tires 3 times faster than the rest of us</div>
Old 01-15-2011, 02:41 PM
rc awesome

NO NO NO NO NO! this car sucks I have one horrible. Go for the hpi firestorm faster, better, stronger, and more durable. I have the nitro sport and the motor has days where is runs great other days it will barely run. Bent the crappy chassis by crashing into a curp at about 15mph. Differintial is also going. There is nothing good about this truck except traxxas customer support. It has bad handling, even for a stadium truck. Its not good for a begginger at all, the motor hardly holds a tune. Please don't buy this there is nothing worse than having a RC truck that doesn't work and breaks all the time. Without some serious upgrades the truck is slow and weak. There are much better choices than this truck everytime I ran this truck I was wondering what part I would have to buy next. Made me so mad once i threw it in to a wall as hard as i could.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:12 PM
The_Shark

the motor is tricky, but it will hold a tune however you have to have some practice with nitro motors to be like me, so in short, if you are a beginner you will get ticked off at first.

what makes the nitro sport such a crappy handler is its tires, they are cheap and have no inserts.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:21 PM
cooldriver385

ORIGINAL: rc awesome

NO NO NO NO NO! this car sucks I have one horrible. Go for the hpi firestorm faster, better, stronger, and more durable. I have the nitro sport and the motor has days where is runs great other days it will barely run. Bent the crappy chassis by crashing into a curp at about 15mph. Differintial is also going. There is nothing good about this truck except traxxas customer support. It has bad handling, even for a stadium truck. Its not good for a begginger at all, the motor hardly holds a tune. Please don't buy this there is nothing worse than having a RC truck that doesn't work and breaks all the time. Without some serious upgrades the truck is slow and weak. There are much better choices than this truck everytime I ran this truck I was wondering what part I would have to buy next. Made me so mad once i threw it in to a wall as hard as i could.
It's probably 'cause you don't know how to tune an engine.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:28 PM
The_Shark

like said its very touchy, but it will hold a tune.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:12 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: suburban_hooligan

we never did figure that out ether. my theory was the steering servo sucked. and there was a lot of slop in the front end and the wheels would take a set and the truck would drift one direction or the other. if you had turned right it would drift right. if you had turned left it would go left. like the servo wasn't centering all the way. it was annoying to say the lest.<div>undisputed piss off king award goes to the electric rustler he replaced it with though. fixed links. after 5 or 6 weeks of use (long hard use) they became flexible and worn out. you could watch the wheel camber change under acceleration and cornering. kid was going through tires 3 times faster than the rest of us</div>
Back when I got my Sport, it came with a 2018 servo for steering (only 40oz in). (They come with the higher torque 2055 servo now I think - 80oz in.) The stock servo saver that came in the car sucked - I ended up putting a new one in and it worked much better. If your car came with a 2018 servo, that may have been the problem all along - its a weak servo and I'm sure the steering would suck a bit. I put a 2055 servo in mine after awhile and was much happier.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:24 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

like said its very touchy, but it will hold a tune.
Mine didnt get touchy until it started losing compression. My nitro sport came with the sport .15 (silver head, single needle carb) which was terrible to run - hard to tune. I sent it in and got a pro .15 - and was much happier. The engine got pretty snappy with the "pro .15 turbo" mod job and MIP stinger exhaust. My car would do wheelies on 20% nitro. I liked it. Like any nitro engine, a guy (or gal) needs to know how to tune. It takes time to learn.

It seems as of lately some folks run into problems and blame the car and/or company because of the problem when in reality its more likely operator error. I dont say this as a bash on anyone, I say it because there are times starting out fresh in the hobby things can get aggravating if the engine isnt running right or it keeps flipping over, etc. Sometimes there are legit problems with a car that requires warranty stuff, it happens sometimes. On the other side, when you have a car platform thats been made for 15 years or more, I would think the Mfg. has most of the bugs worked out by now. They wouldnt keep making them if they weren't selling.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:14 AM
rc awesome

No its probably because its a POS. Took it to 3 diffrent hobby shops and they all said that i had it tuned right somedays it works other it doesn't. I have talked to several diffrent people and they all have said that you can get a really good running pro.15 others (like mine) don't work at all. Probably should have done a little more reasearch on the sport before you bought it. I'm unloading mine and getting a hyper 7 buggy.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:47 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I had a nitro rustler with the Pro .15, and I have had a Firestorm with the stock G3.0, and also had a nitro sport roller i didnt get to run.

The firestorm is a nicer truck as far as the design and layout and looks. It is a high quality truck. However, the nitro sport wont handle as well, but it will be pretty tough for bashing and should provide lots of fun for relatively low cost. They arent a bad truck at all.

My firestorm's engine sucked to be honest. It was darn near impossible to start at times for some reason. I hate roto starts, yet I put one on it because i got tired of cranking the thing. Plus, you can barely get to the LSN on the carb to tune it because of the transmission being in the way. And lastly, the stock clutch spring sucks. It will get weak or break very quickly, and then you will either have to keep replacing the clutch spring, or upgrade to a real 3 shoe aluminum clutch. Its not that expensive to do, just an aggrovating problem.

My Pro .15 on my rustler came to me in a parts pile i got and was all gummed up. I took brake clean and got it all loosened back up and then oiled it up real good and that thing ran great. It had better power and RPM than the .18 HPI engine in my opinion and it started and tuned much easier too. I was not a fan of the engine on the firestorm.

So, they both have their good and bad points. A firestorm with an O.S. engine and 3 shoe aluminum clutch would be the real deal, but the nitro sport is a good truck to start with.

Eric
Old 01-16-2011, 11:02 AM
suburban_hooligan

ORIGINAL: suburban_hooligan

we never did figure that out ether. my theory was the steering servo sucked. and there was a lot of slop in the front end andthe wheels would take a set and the truck would drift one direction or the other. if you had turned right it would drift right. if you had turned left it would go left. like the servo wasn't centering all the way. it was annoying to say the lest.<div>undisputed piss off king award goes to the electric rustler he replaced it with though. fixed links. after 5 or 6 weeks of use (long hard use) they became flexible and worn out. you could watch the wheel camber change under acceleration and cornering. kid was going through tires 3 times faster than the rest of us</div>
Back when I got my Sport, it came with a 2018 servo for steering (only 40oz in). (They come with the higher torque 2055 servo now I think - 80oz in.) The stock servo saver that came in the car sucked - I ended up putting a new one in and it worked much better. If your car came with a 2018 servo, that may have been the problem all along - its a weak servo and I'm sure the steering would suck a bit. I put a 2055 servo in mine after awhile and was much happier.

the servo was weak and the servo saver was the cause of some of the slop in the front end i know that. i remember the kid saying one day that his dad had modified it. some of the slop was gone but that's when he started breaking servo's (always replaced with a stock servo). im guessing his dad locked it up. glued it together or something. i don't remember. whatever im over it. it was one of those things were we exhausted our knowledge, ideas, spare partsand the kids money at the time. the truck got replaced the next summer with an electricrustler. and then i watched him drop both of those trucks into a trash can 5 or 6 years ago so they are gone now. he's not RCing anymore. thinks RC is nothing but a waste of time and money.<div>its all one of those its in the past it doesn't matter deals now</div>
Old 01-16-2011, 11:48 AM
cooldriver385

No its probably because its a POS. Took it to 3 diffrent hobby shops and they all said that i had it tuned right somedays it works other it doesn't. I have talked to several diffrent people and they all have said that you can get a really good running pro.15 others (like mine) don't work at all. Probably should have done a little more reasearch on the sport before you bought it. I'm unloading mine and getting a hyper 7 buggy.
I don't think you've realized, but about 60% oh hobby shops the guys there don't know jack ****. every shop I e been to the Gus know planes and helis. My friends Nitro Rustler had a worse engine and it ran 10 hard gallons until it finally gave up.
I've never driven a Nitro Sport or Firestorm, but I have a Jato 3.3, which is a stadium truck like the other cars, and it is extremely overpowered on the dirt. It fishtails everywhere, but that's what a 2WD stadium truck does.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:48 PM
rc awesome

One of the hobby shops employes runs at the park every single day I've seen him and he was the one that got me into rc in the first place. Trust me this guy know rc cars. Yeah I have figured out by now that Lots of people that work at hobby shops don't know **** about rc cars or how they run. Thats why I took it to THREE diffrent Hobby shops, kind of doubt that three diffrent hobby shops wouldn't have someone that doesn't know jack***** about rc cars.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:54 PM
cooldriver385

One of the hobby shops employes runs at the park every single day I've seen him and he was the one that got me into rc in the first place. Trust me this guy know rc cars. Yeah I have figured out by now that Lots of people that work at hobby shops don't know **** about rc cars or how they run. Thats why I took it to THREE diffrent Hobby shops, kind of doubt that three diffrent hobby shops wouldn't have someone that doesn't know jack**** about rc cars.
I wouldn't doubt that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.