Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Broken Antenna Wire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 07:03 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broken Antenna Wire?

after getting my new 2.4 radio, i walk past the door- breaking the antenna! (before even trying it)

anyhow, it lost maybe 3 inches of wire, i then cut back another inch of outside wire, and put another 4 inches on the inside wire, i tried the truck, and it worked from about 200 feet or so with no issues, but im worried its going to have poor range or interferance issues

is the antenna that big of a deal? (i cannot fully repair it as it solderd to the board) its a FSGT-2

Old 01-20-2011, 07:10 AM
Fuel Crazy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Broken Antenna Wire?

is it an actual antenna (regular wire) like on most AM/FM recievers, or is it Coax cable with 1" or so of actual antenna (the way Futaba FASST are) ?
Old 01-20-2011, 07:14 AM
The_Shark

its coaxial[&o]
Old 01-20-2011, 07:18 AM
Fuel Crazy
My Feedback: (1)

As far as i know, the coax doesnt play a role in the tuned length, its just that little piece at the end. I know the XL antenna for the Futaba FASST's are like 3 times the length of stock, and they dont change range at all from my own personal experience with them.

You may be ok.. if you can measure the entire piece and let me know what it is, ill measure one of my stock Futaba antenna's. You may be able to modify the Futaba antenna to work (they plug in, not soldered).
Old 01-20-2011, 07:50 AM
The_Shark

the conductor (center) wire is back to stock length, however the outside wire is cut down 2 inches.

it was the cheapy $20 controller so its soldered in and cannot be soldered (unless you where extremely good with extremely good tools) however im thoroughly impressed about how it feels, all else fails i will just replace it.

funny thing is i posted this on the radio forum and waited 2 or 3 days without even a nibble, i post here and i get a answer in 10minuts.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:27 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

should be ok, doubt you'll lose any of the half mile range that some people reported (they gave up at half a mile supposedly could go farther )
the gray wire is shielded. Its like cell phones the antenna is very tiny due to the high frequency (higher frequency needs shorter antennas).

The radio forum is dead 99% of the time
I used to frequent it but honestly when you see one post a week its kinda meh
Old 01-20-2011, 10:12 AM
tommygun32

Shark, have a friend sit next to your car with the receiver on, after you turn your transmitter on, and go for a walk down the block, playing with your inputs. If you get far enough away, use your cell phone to have your friend tell you he's not receiving a signal any more...good luck mate.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:47 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rangecheck it as above, and if it works, don't sweat it. I've lost about two inches from the antenna on my good 27mhz AM receiver with no negative affect on range.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:38 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Shark, have a friend sit next to your car with the receiver on, after you turn your transmitter on, and go for a walk down the block, playing with your inputs. If you get far enough away, use your cell phone to have your friend tell you he's not receiving a signal any more...good luck mate.
What he said ^^^^^

I doubt that you'll have an issue. And, seriously, who besides plane guys need 1/2 mile of range? I mean really, who can see to control a vehicle that's 2' long when it's 2600 feet away???? I pretty much lose the ability to tell what the darn thing is doing around 300-400 feet...
Old 01-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Haddi Taha

the longer your range means its easier to control at 300ft the reciever doesn't have to work as hard to find a strong signal
Old 01-21-2011, 06:44 AM
mlwgf8
My Feedback: (8)

You don't need to worry about it.  I broke the wire on my futaba 4pk and it will still drive farther than i can see.  I ended up ripping the wire down to an inch long, and no problems at all.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:31 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

the longer your range means its easier to control at 300ft the reciever doesn't have to work as hard to find a strong signal
Not really. The rx does not work to find a signal. It meerly takes whatever signal is present and amplifies it to a usable strength. Range is mostly a function of two things. The power of the tx and the sensitivity of the rx. There are other factors such as atmospheric noise and other, stronger signals (not a big issue w/2.4g but possable) but the biggest factors are the tx power and the rx sensitivity. If the tx/rx have a good signal at 1000' then, as far as the radio system is concerned, your control will be no different there than at 100', 200', 300', or whatever.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:45 PM
The_Shark

ok good, i was pretty ticked when it broke, i seriously had it in my possesion for 15minuts

i feel wierd driving with it as im so used to a 4foot long antenna...
Old 01-21-2011, 07:06 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

ok good, i was pretty ticked when it broke, i seriously had it in my possesion for 15minuts

i feel wierd driving with it as im so used to a 4foot long antenna...
could always stick a long ass antenna tube on it for fun
Old 01-21-2011, 07:23 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

My tower terror I just got came with a 2.4 redcat remote/receiver which is identical to my 2.4 flysky remote/receiver, just says redcat on it. Im not sure what the deal with the antenna was on it, but it got about 2" broke off the end of the RX wire. I have probably 2" of antenna sticking out of the RX box on the truck and it has worked flawless so far. I was worried at first, but it seems fine so im gonna keep using it.

Eric