Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

nitro rc..what brands to stay away from

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

nitro rc..what brands to stay away from

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:24 AM
reper24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro rc..what brands to stay away from

I'm looking at buying a nitro 1/10 scale (maybe 1/8 scale) stadium style truck or buggy. I'm new to nitro, but not RC vehicles. I would loved to hear about which Brands to watch out for, and which brands are highly rate (been reading articles, still comfused)

Thank you for your time

Ok to add to my little knowledge of nitro class. How can you tell the difference in engine size?
Old 08-14-2008, 08:22 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: nitro rc..what brands to stay away from

Asking which brands to avoid, is going to produce some borderline posts. It is RCU policy not to allow bashing of products, so anyone considering doing so, had best be able to back up their comments with personal experience.

You've mentioned 4 classes in your post, and the great brands are different in each class. You need to decide what you want to run.

Forget nitro 1/10th buggies, there's not really a racing class for them, hence the quality of models in that area is not up to scratch.

1/10th nitro trucks (2wd) are a popular racing class, and there are some great cars (think Team Associated). HPI also has the MT2, which is a good stadium truck, but not really a racer, just a dirt lot basher.

1/8th is really where it's at in my opinion, as far as nitro goes, and you should be looking at a buggy or a truggy. For more versatility consider a truggy. Buggies are great on the track and I always give people the analogy that driving a truggy is like wielding a machine gun, whereas a buggy is a samurai sword, a weapon of pure technique. Of course truggies can also be driven with finesse, but I'm sure you get what I mean.

The Thunder Tiger ST-1 RTR is a nice bargain at the bottom end, and the Losi 8T RTR is a nice option at the higher end, a more racing oriented product which also includes a DSM radio, which is nice.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:27 AM
The Hedgehog

Are there any budget limitations? That is a large factor in what I would recommend, and whether you are racing or not also maybe change recommendations. (IE monster truck for bashing).
Old 08-14-2008, 11:17 AM
Suprachrgd82

The best brands to purchase are those that your LHS carries the most parts for. Nitro cars, having a fair amount of power and speed will have the potential to break more parts. In order to stay up and running (rather than waiting for ordered parts), find a brand that you can get parts for with just a simple drive to you LHS. You will get much more enjoyment from the hobby when you are not hunting for parts and waiting for the mail carrier.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:32 AM
crazy4wdracer
My Feedback: (3)

reper24-If you are looking for 10th scale nitro I would recommend the Hot Bodies Lightning 10. They sell on ebay for about $230 RTR.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:33 AM
nitrosport963

im doing the same thing except i have nitro experience(stadium trucks) and i like these wat do u guys think
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...source=froogle
idk about this one
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=RDL99300

if i get one ill take it to the track and bash a lot
Old 08-14-2008, 01:59 PM
KillerKowalczyk

personally, where I live there are a ton of places that carry Traxxas products, so that in itself was the main reason I bought a Traxxas for my first truck. I wanted to be able to fix it. However everyone seems to think that HPI are the most durable vehicles, and it seems like companies like LOSI, Kyosho, Mugen are for all the hardcore racing types.

here are my suggestions:

Traxxas Revo 3.3
Hpi Hellfire
Hpi Savage
Hpi Firestorm
Old 08-14-2008, 02:20 PM
crazy4wdracer

ORIGINAL: nitrosport963

im doing the same thing except i have nitro experience(stadium trucks) and i like these wat do u guys think
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...source=froogle
idk about this one
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=RDL99300

if i get one ill take it to the track and bash a lot
The OFNA LX1 is a good buggy. I don't know much about the SHO but I would think that the LX One would be easier to get parts for.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:02 PM
nitrosport963

ok thanks
Old 08-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Fiegs

Just as long as you stay away from the "ebay knock-offs" you should be in good shape.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:04 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I find that all the major manufacturers make cars of good or better quality.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:31 PM
vnmsgt

Most cars will only be as good as your maintenance. Even a $650 buggy will fall apart if you do not maintain it!
Old 08-15-2008, 07:33 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: reper24

I'm looking at buying a nitro 1/10 scale (maybe 1/8 scale) stadium style truck or buggy. I'm new to nitro, but not RC vehicles. I would loved to hear about which Brands to watch out for, and which brands are highly rate (been reading articles, still comfused)

Thank you for your time

Ok to add to my little knowledge of nitro class. How can you tell the difference in engine size?
I will not name any brands, but this is the rule of thumb: if you find an RC RTR for under $200, do not buy them. These are often advertised as "beginner" RCs, but most are utter trash made from poor materials and are prone to more breakages than normal. Yes, ever RC breacks, because we crash them. But the "beginner" trash will break and wear down more often. Also, most of the beginner trash come from companies that illegally clone or have in the past illegally cloned legit RCs.

Speaking of breaking stuff, since RCs is a hobby of running, and a whole lot of maintenance and repairs, the "begginer" trash do not sell their stuff in local RC stores. So, as you break stuff, you have to order replacemnt parts from china, and since these must go through US customs inspections, getting these parts can take weeks to arrive. A mid-grade brand name RC that is carried in your local RC store will have the part right there, and you can have your RC fixed in 30min and running again. Now, there are several resellers or in country dealers that stock and carry parts for some of these cheap RCs, but it can be hit or miss. Some of these dealers/distributors can send you the part in a couple of days, but others can have problems getting the parts stock from china. So, if they are out of stock, the part will definitely take weeks to get to your house.

I highly suggest you start with an Associated or Tamiya, these two have beginner RCs for the $200 to $300 range and they are not made poorly. Also, virtually every local RC store carries parts and even custom hop-ups for many of these, so there will never be the issue of waiting for the mail.

RCs is not a cheap hobby; getting into it and buying fuel, replacement parts, hop-ups, etc. I strongly suggest you save up no less than $400 and buy a mid-grade RC, like a Losi LST2, Traxxas Revo, or my personal favorite, an HPI Savage X. These are proven RCs, built way better than the cheap internet junk, and your local RC store will have every part for these trucks.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:06 PM
Mambamonster

Nicely said.[8D]
Old 08-15-2008, 09:22 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: vnmsgt

Most cars will only be as good as your maintenance. Even a $650 buggy will fall apart if you do not maintain it!
Very good point. You are absolutely correct, and with breakage in mind, this hobby is not a cheap hobby at all. As a matter of fact, RC stores make most of their money selling replacement parts, fuel, etc.

But the differance between a cheap RC and a top quality RC is that the higher quality one will not wear down as quickly as the cheap one. Also, due to better design ane superior materials, it is very possible that the top quality RC will survive just a few more bumps and hits than the cheap one.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:41 PM
NitroVette

I've owned Associated, HPI, OFNA, CEN, and Losi cars and had great luck with them all. The only brand that was a turd out of the box was a Duratrax ThunderQuake. It was horrible, the quality of metals used in the drivetrain was pathetic. The only thing more pathetic was their support or lack thereof. I've been into R/C for 20 years and can't remember ever stripping a pinion/spur combo yet this truck chewed through two sets after less than 1/2 gal. of fuel. This truck was so bad that I won't even buy a Duratrax branded tool or accessory, they lost me as a customer.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:54 PM
RCCCS

ORIGINAL: NitroVette

I've owned Associated, HPI, OFNA, CEN, and Losi cars and had great luck with them all. The only brand that was a turd out of the box was a Duratrax ThunderQuake. It was horrible, the quality of metals used in the drivetrain was pathetic. The only thing more pathetic was their support or lack thereof. I've been into R/C for 20 years and can't remember ever stripping a pinion/spur combo yet this truck chewed through two sets after less than 1/2 gal. of fuel. This truck was so bad that I won't even buy a Duratrax branded tool or accessory, they lost me as a customer.
every company has had turd's as far as in Duratrax they are a great company and stand behind all there products they even have a 1 year stress tech warranty. break any of the stress tech parts in 1 year they will replace it free of charge cant go wrong there. The new rtx-27 is one is one of the toughest trucks out there at the moment right out the box ready to run.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:30 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Instead of telling you what not to buy, I'll tell you what to buy. HPI or Traxxas. They are proven companies, aftermarket and factory support is great and just about every hobby shop in this country sells HPI and Traxxas. That reply should keep the moderator amongst us happy.[>:]
Old 08-17-2008, 08:36 PM
premiernitrorc
My Feedback: (15)

The brands such as Exceed serve a purpose. They are marketed towards beginners and you can get a brand new nitro buggy for less than $200. Then, if you decide you like the hobby, you can upgrade to a more expensive car.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:04 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I agree wholeheartedly with gravediggerracing. HPI and Traxxas, and even Losi are great companies to get into.

I cannot stress enough that RC is not a hobby to get into for under $200. As I already said, AE and Tamiya are the beginner RCs to get into, and yes, you will spend $200-300 for them, well more than the cheap internet "beginner" stuff. As I see it, these cheap internet stuff that are targetting beginners are hurting the hobby. Yes, they are very cheap for the person to get into the hobby, but their poorer quality can dissuade the potential fan by giving him more problems than normal. The "beginner" stuff also hurt the RC industry in the West for other factors I will not get into.

I know, every RC breaks down and wears down. But the mid-grade to higher grade RCs will last longer and/or take more abuse before they break. I cannot stress that enough either.

No, I cannot convince anyone to not buy the "beginner" RC, that is totally their perrogative to do so. I can only warn agaisnt them, but if someone does get one, I will help him out as best I can to tune, fix, and so forth. Afterall, he is a fellow RC fan. We all should take this stance, and when that person is ready to advance from beginner to the intermediate aspects of RCs, all we can do is suggest to him some mid- to upper grade RCs.

Personally, I do not think the cheap "beginner" internet RCs serve the purpose very well for the RC industry. They undercut prices terribly, not in a healthy manner. (Gil Losi has evenmentioned that illegally cloned very cheap RCs have hurt the RC industry in the West.) No, not every cloned "beginner" RC are illegally cloned, but there are still illegitimate ones all over the net.
The materials of these very cheap RCs are questionable, not just quality-wise, but maybe even as far as poisons are concerned. Also, environmentally, the "beginner" RCs could be made in places where there are little or no environmental laws. At least RC stuff made in Western Europe, like the various Rossi engines (Gahndini) are made under higher environmental standards, so the amount of poisons, energy use, etc. to make them are much more strictly controlled.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:03 PM
derrick05

ORIGINAL: KillerKowalczyk

personally, where I live there are a ton of places that carry Traxxas products, so that in itself was the main reason I bought a Traxxas for my first truck. I wanted to be able to fix it. However everyone seems to think that HPI are the most durable vehicles, and it seems like companies like LOSI, Kyosho, Mugen are for all the hardcore racing types.

here are my suggestions:

Traxxas Revo 3.3
Hpi Hellfire
Hpi Savage
Hpi Firestorm
CEN 1/8 vehicles are the absolute touhest,most durable rc out there for bashing[X(]
Old 08-20-2008, 08:23 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: derrick05

CEN 1/8 vehicles are the absolute touhest,most durable rc out there for bashing[X(]
[&:] I'm sold!!!
Old 08-20-2008, 08:35 PM
RCCCS

All Brands. If you aint got the money to spend on these you better not get one. they tend to suck you dry. nitro fuel $30 a gal. glow plugs $6 to 9 for one plug. then if any parts break Priceless. I just had to say that.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:06 PM
rcmaster123

I would just ask rcu about the models your thinking about
Old 08-25-2008, 12:44 AM
firestorm_10

i would suggest traxxas or hpi as i have a firestorm and have no probs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.