Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Primer and butyrate dope

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Primer and butyrate dope

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 06:19 PM
peso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primer and butyrate dope

On my last Cub I used Koverall, nitrate dope and butyrate yellow paint from Radolps. That worked fine with the exception that the paint did not cover so well so the grain of the balsa could be seen through the covering. I could have put more paint on it but I wanted the plane to be as light as possoble.
This time I thought of using a thin layer of gray automobile filler under the yellow paint.
I wonder if that would be a good idea or not. Would the butyrate paint adhere to it? Or would it be a better idea to put on a thin layer of that special silver paint that is used to protect the covering from sun. However that paint is much more expensive. I do not know either if that paint will shield the antenna of the receiver so that the range will be decrease. maybe someone has experience of that.
Old 04-12-2002, 08:41 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

peso:

Yellow is the least opaque of the colours. When using any of the
films in yellow, I take white spray and lightly paint the balsa first.
The fabric with yellow paint is the same as you found out. Any of
the WHITE auto primers would work fine without adding that much
more weight.
Old 06-05-2002, 03:05 AM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the tip is to use silver bute. before color....im finally getting the hang of this stuff too...LOL