Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Losing a giant scale...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Purple Bird
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing a giant scale...

Fellow modelers,

I lost my 88 EF Yak this past Friday on it's 30th flight from a rather dumb mistake. While refueling, I had a half tank still in the plane and the gas was overflowing coming out of the gas can and I confusingly didn't realize I was pulling gas OUT of the plane's tank rather than in. No need to flame...I realize the stupidity of this mistake. It's quite a bummer too because I have lost all three of my larger planes from technical issues rather than dumb thumbs...

I am seriously wondering if I'm not cut out for this hobby due to the "details" causing my planes to crash.

For example:

1. My first 50 cc yak...a QQ 85 deadstick while doing rolling harriers at 10 feet over the ground. It turns out that a piece of a gasket got sucked through carb causing the engine to conk out...it didn't come down too hard...just hard enough to rip the landing gear out and bonk the firewall

2. My second used 50 cc...an Extreme Flight Yak 87. After a long torque roll with smoke on I flew up and over the trees and did a snap on 3D rates and the engine went out. AGAIN, not enough airspeed and the gear ripped out of the bottom of the fuselage.

3. This past Friday I finally had trimmed out my EF Yak 88 perfectly the Brillelli 60 was beginning to break in. The plane was flying so well I suppose I was euphoric. It is this rush that I chase when I fly. Anyway, after making the dumb mistake in my state of euphoria and pulling some gas back out of a half full tank...I only had about 5 minutes of flight time and the plane came down while doing a harrier from about 12 feet up. The biggest irony is that I was having the best day flying EVER until the plane went down...talk about mixed emotions.

SO...am I the only one out there with such stories? I can fly the hell out of the planes, but it seems I can't cover the other bases to keep the planes flying.

Is it time to hang it up?

Old 11-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Default RE: Losing a giant scale...

I think many of us have similar stories.. I lost 3 planes in 4 months due to things out of my control. I find they tipically come in 3s So you shoiuld be good for awhile

#1 Engine issues in a HAKE 10' off the deck.. no arspeed
#2 Looked out 3rd flight (someone turned on their radio)
#3 Bad servos - 3 of 5 bad from brand new.

long story short.. dont hang up your hat. You will regret that more
Old 11-09-2008, 07:30 PM
jantrit

Im not involved in giant scale yet, but have found myself doubting whether I should be if I ever had the opportunity, in the end I think its a risk you take to get the thrill you do out of this hobby. For things like pulling the fuel out, if you had a checklist you went through before taking off it could help minimize those sorts of things.

Michael
Old 11-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Sukhoi4Me

No, its not time to hang it up.

It is time to create a solid preflight routine and stick to it. Same thing same time, every time. Kind of like a preshot routine in golf. If you get interupted in the middle of it, stop, take a second or three and restart. I hate getting half way through set-up and then get interupted with questions. I don't mind questions, just not right in the middle of my setup.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:53 PM
aussiesteve

Sorry for your losses

Definitely not time to hang up

There's nothing like that euphoria you mentioned - you just need to do as Sukhoi4Me said - get a solid routine going.

Besides, if worst comes to worst - the Giant scales do make a much better sound than the smaller planes when they re-kit themselves

Don't worry - if any RC flyer ever tells you that they've never lost a plane due to doing something stupid with their thumbs, or due to some technical issue or another - they are probably either still on the buddy box or lying.

Sounds like the earlier ones were repairable though - that's the other half of the "fun".

I lost a 100cc Extra not all that long ago due to a really stupid mistake - all my own fault for not replacing questionable stuff (an ignition switch) and still playing down low. No point beating oneself up over such things though.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate getting half way through set-up and then get interupted with questions. I don't mind questions, just not right in the middle of my setup.
I hear you on that one!!
Old 11-09-2008, 08:29 PM
dbcaster

Well as they say, things usually happen in three's so you should be o.k. for awhile
Old 11-09-2008, 08:49 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Jake Ruddy

I think many of us have similar stories..

long story short.. dont hang up your hat. You will regret that more

This IS true.

Given your 'pilot' level and the equipment you're flying, you shouldn't even entretain the thought of quitting the hobby.

You're flying advanced planes, therfore you'll need to employ solid preflight practices.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:58 PM
foodstick

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Well IF you can quit is one thing, I have definately taken a step back, and even quit the hobby for years. But building on projects big and small can be hard to end. Maybe you should try to go smaller for awhile, get your confidence back. I imagine it might not be easy as you are flying some pretty sweet airplanes.

Possibly try a new area away from big 3d stuff? I have been interested in most aspects of the hobby, right now I am going through a WW1 and vintage plane thing. Look around and see what options you have, then go back to your big 3D action when the pain has subsided a little.. Hang in there !!! I can't set a motor to save my life so I relate!!!
Old 11-09-2008, 09:07 PM
2robinhood

I lost my first 50cc gasser to my stuipid mistake also.
I filled the smoke tank with gas and only had about two minutes of fuel in the gas tank.
I wasn't going to use smoke, so I didn't even atempt to touch the smoke fluid.
I went to fill with fuel and just filled the wrong fuel dot.
Needless to say I learned, I have two totally different fuel dots now.
Can't get them mixed up any more.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:34 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

Shoot, I lost one in the fog once. Wasn't a big plane but it was one of my favorites. Knew I shouldn't have flown, but.....[:@]
Old 11-09-2008, 09:51 PM
propchief
My Feedback: (65)

Well let' see:
- Had the whole family out to watch me fly and took the Midwest Sky Squire up and did a loop ... snap went the wing (forgot to glue in the wing joiner reinforcements!
- Took my new Goldberg Skylark up on the maiden flight and flew right into the sun ... go disoriented and crashed.
- Had the rubber bands slip off the wing (didn't cross them) and planted a ST 60 into the ground ... wing floated down nicely!
- Got the family out again to watch me cruise a Compensator and lost the RX signal on loop 2 of 3 loops manuever.
- Took a brand new Atlanta 60 pattern ship up for a maiden flight and had the ailerons backwards ... did a nice 1/2 roll on takeoff and watched my beautiful plane slide down the pavement upside down!
- had my Elder 40 weathervane into my buddies car's grill on takeoff ... he and his wife were sitting on the hood ... man did they run for cover - LOL.
- Mid-aired a Goldberg Ultimate bipe doing some formation flying with a friend using a borrowed Ulitmate bipe.
- Cartwheeled my Cloud Dancer when I had a mix for dual ailerons switch not completely dialed out and a dirty pot caused the trim to keep changing.

I did slow down and try to avoid stupid mistakes, but I"m still flying and loving it.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:06 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Lets see:

1. Crashed Seagull Decathlon. I don't recall the details of it but man did I smash it up!
2. Great Planes Christen Eagle - I spent so long on this bird and it was perfect! I built it meticulously; however my rudder arm and elevator arm overlapped ever so slightly at FULL deflection. Fate would have it I was doing some wild flying and the rudder and elevator got locked up. Landed the plane inverted. saved most of the gear and engine but plane was a loss.
3. 33% Extra 260 - First one I lost to flying the batteries way too low - easily affordable mistake
Second one I cracked up flying hard

This hobby can be fun and frustrating at the same time. What I recommend is keeping the fleet to just a couple planes flying at any time.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:12 PM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

You'll be done with the hobby only after making the same mistakes and crashing the same way every flier before you has already done. Thats a fact, there are no new ways left to crash. It's just that there's a million ways to make a mistake. And this hobby is one that makes you pay big when you mess up. Kinda makes you wonder how full size airplanes manage to stay in the air.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Taildragger726

Ever heard the sound a 40% SD Yak (yup, the big one) makes when it hits the ground? Ever kick you own behind for not thoroughly tightening the wing bolts? Ever wish one wing would depart instead of just rotating 90 degrees?
Old 11-09-2008, 10:23 PM
airborneSGT

I have not yet put in a 40%; so far the two I have had are still flying or being restored. Still scares me using nylon/plastic wing bolts on 40% planes!
Old 11-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Purple Bird

Thanks for the responses.

The problem certainly isn't a lack of confidence with the flying skills...it's the OTHER stuff.

Once I had the CG dialed in on that Yak it behaved better than any other plane that I have flown. The plane just sat there completely nuetral in a hover...no wing rocking in harriers. In precision, the plane flew on rails...I'm sure those of you who have an EF 88 Yak know what I talking about.
I can only imagine how well the 100 cc flies...BUT..I don't feel I could stomach losing one of those.

ANYWAY...here are some pics..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59653.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	1069174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65737.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	478.0 KB
ID:	1069175   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28184.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	338.6 KB
ID:	1069176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj17867.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	350.4 KB
ID:	1069177  
Old 11-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Purple Bird

ORIGINAL: altavillan

You'll be done with the hobby only after making the same mistakes and crashing the same way every flier before you has already done. Thats a fact, there are no new ways left to crash. It's just that there's a million ways to make a mistake. And this hobby is one that makes you pay big when you mess up. Kinda makes you wonder how full size airplanes manage to stay in the air.
Yeah, that is an interesting point! What makes me kinda drunk is the euphoria of a really good flight. I know that probably sounds nuts...but there is nothing like an incredible flight where you have this big airplane rolling around in front of you then taking off like a rocket.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You should be doing pre-flight checks. If you have to write it down and use a checklist then do it. Or memorize your sequence of assembly, checking batteries, fueling, starting...... Do it the same EVERY TIME until it becomes second nature. My biggest thing is making sure I don't start an engine above idle speed. Good way to get your hand cut off. If you're ever at our flying field you'll always hear me talking to myself or to a flying buddy,

"Throttle down? Trim up?"
"Choke on?"
"Ignition on?"
"Kill switch on?"
"Clear prop"
"Choke off"
"Clear prop"
"Okay to come out?"
"Taking off to the East"
"Runway is clear"
"Landing from the West"
"Runway is clear"

Get a routine and stick to it. Don't let your buddies talk to you. Just tell them you need to concentrate and you'd appreciate not being bothered or spoken too while assembling or starting your plane.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:01 PM
airborneSGT

We have all had a plane perfectly dialed in and lost. Like that perfect g/f, car...you name it. Once had a Company Commander who put it best; sometimes its better to put on new shoes instead of trying to find the same ones to fit.

If anything once you get the same plane again you will know how to build it, you will have the mixes programmed in, you will be set!
Old 11-09-2008, 11:01 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had sort of a rough summer with engines. I thought I was seriously done but I love it way too much. I can't quit something I like so much. I packed up my plane and took it out to the field and ended up having starting problems a many times (Brillelli 60). I had two planes engines have problems in one day I took off of work. One of them I dead sticked down wind and ripped the counter balance off my EF Extra going through some weeds. Luckily a friend that has done many kits and repairs told me how to fix it. There were other times I had to pack it up and go home too....on picture perfect days. Last time I bought a new engine the throttle servo quit when I turned on the power switch. Had to pack it up and go home.

I didn't quit...but I was very tempted. These things are not toys and take lots of attention in all aspects.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:12 PM
airborneSGT

Since I have been flying giant scale I always try to keep the setups as simple, safe, and easy to work on as possible. Then there are those days when its better not to fly!
Old 11-09-2008, 11:20 PM
smarks

ORIGINAL: Taildragger726

Ever heard the sound a 40% SD Yak (yup, the big one) makes when it hits the ground? Ever kick you own behind for not thoroughly tightening the wing bolts? Ever wish one wing would depart instead of just rotating 90 degrees?
Ouch....[]
Old 11-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Kwesdog

Dont feel to bad. This past summer I had a PAU 30% edge get destroyed 20 seconds into its maiden flight. I still dont know exactly what caused it but I am leaning towards a bad switch or battery pack.

Harry
Old 11-10-2008, 12:10 PM
MR G

I lost a 30% about 20 sec. into maiden. No control, after going through the carnage I know the batteries were good (A123's).
I think i experienced RF interference.

Recovered the plane, nobody hurt (except my ego).

I did make a couple of mistakes:

1) ignition battery was mounted within a couple of inches of the reciever...I know now that that is a no no.
2) In my enthusiam to fly the plane I did not do a range check. (VERY BIG NO NO). I have an identical setup in another plane
with zero problems...I made a very bad assumption.
3) My reciever was a PPM reciever, not PCM.

The first thing to remember is that if you can't afford to lose the plane you should not fly the plane. No if's and's, or butt's about it.

I have accepted this loss as an expensive lesson, one I am NOT likely to ever forget.

As a result, I will remove all PPM recievers in my giants and replace with PCM RX's. I will never locate an ignition battery within 8" of my Reciever. I will NEVER EVER forget to do a range check.

This was a bummer, it was a gorgeous airplane. I will take the loss and learn something( some things: plural) from it. I will not give up and quit. I love this hobby too much for that.

MR G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.