Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

The unending question

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

The unending question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 04:56 PM
RaptorCam
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The unending question

Opinions on this Zoom Shogun Pro Package Deal. Getting out of Raptor 30 V2 and want something I can hover around the living room yet still be able to go outside and go all out. Would this be appropriate?

This HeliHobby custom package comes with the following parts:
- HH1060 Zoom / Shogun / Dolphin 400 Micro Helicopter ARTF
- EFLM1100 Eflight 400 Brushless Motor 4200KV
- CASTLE-PHX-25 Phoenix 25 Brushless Sensorless ESC
- WB289A Wood Pro Fully Sym blades for Zoom / Shogun
- HH146 CSM HLG200 Lightened Heading Lock Gyro
- BRG6 BERG 6 G3 DSP II RX w/ Mod Auto Shift For All TX Types
- HRC31055 HS-55 Hitec Standard Feather Servo
- HRC31050 HS-50 HiTec Servo
- HH412 E-Tech 3C 1200mAH
- HH446 Anderson Power Connectors one pair (2 Red 2 Black)
- IP6152-10-20 Long Brass Pinion 10T 2.0mm bore
Old 09-14-2004, 04:11 AM
astronut30
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: The unending question

I don't personally fly the zoom but that looks like a very nice set up. I seen videos of the Zoom and flown in about 6-7mph breeze and it looks to be a real smooth micro. Might be a little big for the living room though unless you have a pretty good size one, but then again, I stupidly hovered a Logo 10 in my living room in the past once [:-] It's rotor span is a couple inches or so bigger than the previous micro heli's and is a bit longer as well.

I've also read up that the belt tail drive mod is essential for this heli if you don't want to worry about stripping gears etc...
Old 09-14-2004, 08:13 AM
RaptorCam

ORIGINAL: astronut30

I don't personally fly the zoom but that looks like a very nice set up. I seen videos of the Zoom and flown in about 6-7mph breeze and it looks to be a real smooth micro. Might be a little big for the living room though unless you have a pretty good size one, but then again, I stupidly hovered a Logo 10 in my living room in the past once [:-] It's rotor span is a couple inches or so bigger than the previous micro heli's and is a bit longer as well.

I've also read up that the belt tail drive mod is essential for this heli if you don't want to worry about stripping gears etc...
Thanks for that input, especially about the tail drive. I don't have a huge living room but moving things to the edge of the wall I can get about a 16x24 area. Its not something I would do regularly but if I just wanted to mess around and the weather didn't permit outside flying.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:21 PM
astronut30

Wow, that's a good size living room, that's more than enough space My living room's only like 12x12, not including the furnitre and tv etc. and it was comfortable for me to hover my Hummingbird around in the past.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:36 PM
RaptorCam

ORIGINAL: astronut30

Wow, that's a good size living room, that's more than enough space My living room's only like 12x12, not including the furnitre and tv etc. and it was comfortable for me to hover my Hummingbird around in the past.
Well I was selling both my raptors and was going to use the money to get that heli mentioned but I found a trade that I ended up going with. I swapped my NIB Raptor and a webra 35 for a new JR Voyager E CCPM with ESC and motor. I figure I can use that for now and then later on convert it over to a brushless setup.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:42 PM
fehringer

Hello
I am not an expert heli flyer but I can hover the Zoom in the conservatory, maybe 9'x12', and it works fine. What made a real difference was replacing the standard protech gyro with a headlock, I am using the CSM SL420 micro - phantastic. It just locks into place.

One question: I have never used a brushless motor before - If I used a brushless instead of the standard motor (on 3LiIon) what sort of difference could I expect?
Cheers
Gerhard
Old 09-19-2004, 02:57 PM
astronut30

You can expect more power if you pick the right kv and a motor that will last very long and because of the better efficiency of brushless, you're probably looking at longer run times as well.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:00 PM
SexyPizzaMan
My Feedback: (19)

Is hummingbird good to start?? I wanted to get hummingbird and move into shogun, or is piccolo pro better?
Old 09-19-2004, 08:24 PM
astronut30

Micro heli's are not optimum to start with but if you do insist on starting with one, the Hummingbird fp is great to start with. Nice and smooth micro. They do have their advantages that you can practice inside etc. and the Hbird is very durable. Micros just tend to be less stable and require a lot quicker response time and more precise set up.

Pic Pro is definitely not a good way to start, cp heli's require even more set up and are not as durable. The Hbird can always be upgraded to cp as well if you decide to do so. Plus I've seen vids of Hbirds doing 3D etc. that romped any video Ive seen of the Pic Pro by far. I've only seen HOrnet's with similar resonse so the hbird has great 3D potential as well for down the line.

If you do start with a fp hbird, get good components, it'll be worth it, like a futaba gy 240 or similar quality hh gyro and a 5 or 6 channel rx. for later if and when you go cp, plus a heli radio. These will save you $ down the line as you'll need them anyway if you decide to stick with heli's. If you can afford it, starting off with a brushless set up wil also save you $ in the long run as they last a whole lot longer than the brushed motors with less hassle.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:41 PM
SexyPizzaMan

Well i wanted somthing cheaper like the hummingbird. I have a raptor 50 but its over 2k with all the upgrades, to afraid to fly that. I have hoovered it and done fast forward flight with it, havent really turned with it since i have heavy training gear on that prevent it. What i wanted to know is if the hummingbird was a good way to go, is stock battery sufficiant? Should i get elite with lipos charger rtf minus tx. Can i use my futaba 9 channel radio with it? I found elite for 299 with lipo batteries charger fp version. I plan on moving onto a different faster heli later on like zoom 400. But i need to learn basics first. Want somthing cheap and crashable to fly. I also found the hummingbird v3 i dont plan on cp on hummingbird anyways so i guess this would be a better rout, if i saw a video clip of the hummingbird doing 3d which i am not able to find please send me one, if may make my choice easier. Well the v3 comes rtf for 199, i would get lipos and charger for it but that would already raise the price to like 250 or 260 so i may as well get the elite. Please help. Im selling my rap 50[img][/img]
Old 09-20-2004, 12:06 AM
astronut30

Ok, you already have a Raptor, then you're familiar with heli's so learning with the Hummingbird should be great. It's very durable, I had a fp Hbird in the past and I must've crashed that sucker like 20 times or close to it and let's see, I had to replace to main blades, a tail rotor blade and a couple of ball links and that's it! Mine was super light though with Razor brushless and 2 cell Etec lipos. It was awesome indoors but the slightest breeze would blow it around so a little heavier would be better if you want to fly it more outdoors unless it's usually really calm there.

Lipo is the way to go if you can spend the $ initially. You'll get more power and way longer run times. If you want to keep price low though, the stock birdseeds aren't too bad but it will be good to invest in a good charger, the wall chargers stink, you can't tell how much mah is going into them and you don't know when it's optimum to stop etc. You don't have to spend a whole lot but get a decent peak charger that shows at least the amount of mah going in. If you're sticking with Electrics, get a Triton, it's an all around charger and can charge lipo's as well as nicad, nimh and lead batteries, you'll never need another.

I think Elite is the way to go, has aluminum base plate plus you're able to change pitch so you can adjust tracking etc. if I'm not mistaken, that's very nice. Something I didn't have on my V2.

The Zoom is a little bigger than the hbird so it is going to be more stable but you say you want something faster? I don't think the Zoom is faster than the hbird with comparable setups, in fact, I don't think the Zoom is more 3D capable either. I think the pros to the Zoom is it's bigger so more stable, that's about it. The Zoom is a little big for the living room, for most of us anyway, I know some of y'all live in huge houses ...but the hbird is small enough for the living room. You'll have a blast with the fp hbird, it's a fun and smooth little micro. I just got in the market for a micro again and was going to get another fp but the only reason I'm getting a cp is that I got a good deal on one, I would've been happy with a fp, great for the in house and occasional backyard fix for relaxing/worry free messing around

Anyways, here's a couple vids of a CP Hbird doing 3D, I haven't seen a Zoom come anywhere near this as of yet anyway.

http://www.users.on.net/~hyadsl1/rc/hummercp1.mpeg
http://www.users.on.net/~hyadsl1/rc/hummerindoor.mpg
Old 09-20-2004, 02:20 PM
SexyPizzaMan

Thank you so much for the videos, that made all the difference. I havent seen any 3d hummingbird vids and now that i finally got my hand on them, i think i might stick with the hummingbird as my main heli. Thanks again. Is the basic set up of elite good? with lipos head stiffener. accucycle charger all for 300. No fradio but i have a 9 ch futaba, can i connect the futaba to it? do i need special crystals.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:45 PM
astronut30

Yes, you can use your radio no problem.

You'll just need to get the matching crystal for whatever rx you use.

If I'm not mistaken, the Elite doesn't require a head stiffener. From the pictures on Century's site, it also appears that the Elite has an aluminum collar as well but not 100% sure. I never had the Elite so I couldn't tell you for sure. If it doesn't, the aluminum shaft collar, that's a necessary mod, also ball in swash mod helps make cyclic more precise. The cp looks like it has it but the fp may not. Try emailing Century and see the differences with the Elite model. Or someone here with an Elite can chime in?
Old 09-20-2004, 03:50 PM
SexyPizzaMan

So i can just pop the crystal outta my raptor and put it into the hujmingbirsd? Im asking because i belive some models equire special crystals. Please lt eme know if you klnow
Old 09-20-2004, 04:06 PM
astronut30

What rx are you planning on using in the hbird? If the one outta your RAptor, then yes you can do that, as long as the rx isn't to big and heavy, a Berg 5dsp or even 6 is small enough to work. If you're getting a different rx for the hbird, chances are you'll need to get a crystal that matches that rx, whether it be single conversion or dual conversion or micro rx, micro rx's like the Berg micro stamp or GWS Naro rx's use smaller crystals.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:40 PM
SexyPizzaMan

GWS-R4PF Receiver 4 CH Futaba
thats what comes with it. So do i buy just 1 crystal ?? the rx crystal to be smaller gws crystal, but i can leave in my regular crystal in my radio correct? Ordo i have to change both? I have a futaba 9 ch radio. Pleasd help. I was about to buy the heli but i saw ur message.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:34 PM
astronut30

I'm not familiar with that receiver but either way, you just need a crystal for the rx that matches the channel of your tx, that's it.

You don't have to change the one in your tx...
Old 09-20-2004, 09:40 PM
SexyPizzaMan

Thanks alot, i just bought my hummingbird elite, from helihobby. will be here soon, i ordered express mail. Cant wait.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:45 PM
astronut30

Cool, keep us informed on what you think about it I may get my cp Elite around the same time as you get yours
Old 09-22-2004, 06:53 PM
SexyPizzaMan

I also got the elite, also 2 lipo batteries 1025 mah 2 cell. I got that cheap 50 dollar hobbico quick charger for lipos. Came with my package, also got the bearings upgrade, a free set of blades lots more only 350. Not to bad, thats less then a raptor 50 kit, im not as scared about flying now, i was fine with raptor, but i am worried about a 2k crash. Thats why i got this. I will post pics and video if you can help me out and tell me how. Or i will figure it out on my own. Will get pics soon.