Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Giant Scale Spinners

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 08:20 PM
Banks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Scale Spinners

I am building my 1st giant scale warbird (Yellow P40) and was wondering how others affix the spinner to the hub mounted to the prop shaft. the spinner assy. I received an aluminum hub that mounts to the shaft. There is also a bronze or brass bushing sleeve that apparently mounts on the hub and is (pressed?) onto the prop shaft. My question: How do you mount the spinner to the hub? I did not notice any means of mounting the spinner. The only way that I can see is to drill and tap small holes equally spaced around the hub and transfer those holes on to the spinner, then screw the spinner to the side of the hub.

Am I on track here or am I completely lost? You help is appreciated.

Regards,
Banks
Old 12-17-2002, 08:27 PM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most large aluminum, or plastic spinners have a bolt that goes through the front of the spinner and engages an adapter nut on the prop shaft. What brand spinner are we talking about?

Vince
Old 12-17-2002, 08:39 PM
Banks

Vince,

This is a spinner purchased from Yellow specifically for their P40. I do not see any type of adapter or bolt with the spinner kit. Actually, there are three kits in my basement and none of them have a bolt or adapter. When I think of all the giant scale warbirds I have seen, none of them appeared to have a bolt running thru the center of the spinner.

Banks
Old 12-18-2002, 04:11 PM
STUKA BARRY

THERE ARE SEVERAL MAKES OF SPINNERS THAT HAVE A BOLT THRU THE CENTER. ARE YOU GOING WITH A THREE BLADED PROP OR A TWO? THIS COULD MAKE THE DIFFERENCE IN WHAT BRAND YOU BUY AND THE PRICE. DO YOU PREFER METAL OR PLASTIC? ARE YOU GOING TO PAINT IT? THESE ARE IMPORTANT QUESTIONS WHEN DETERMINING THE PROPER SPINNER.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:20 PM
WarbirdAirRacer
My Feedback: (16)

If its the same spinner im thinking of, there is a lip on the back plate, maybe a little more then a 1/4" long ? does this spinner need to be cut for the prop blades ? If this is the one im thinking of then yes you will need to drill small holes around the spinner. I ran across this with one of their kits a few years ago and had to cut it for the blades and for mounting. I myself think these spinners suck, but you may not have the same as i did so give us a little more feed back on what it is and im sure we can help you.
Old 12-19-2002, 12:54 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

If your spinner needs to have the cutouts for the prop blades, and mounts with small screws at the rear, I agree with StregaMustang7, that sucks.

Vince
Old 12-19-2002, 06:15 AM
Banks

Vince and StregaMustang7,

You guys identified my spinner correctly. It does not have the prop cut-outs and will include a 3-blade prop. The spinner is made from .055"-.060" aluminun with an aluminum back plate approx. 3/8" thick. The way I mentioned the mounting, and with StregaMustang7's confirmation, is the only way I can imagine assembling this spinner. Why do you say it sucks? Because of the mounting scheme or other issues? Curiosity is getting to me know.

On a seperate note, I figured out how to metal spin those aluminum spinners. I am going to make a couple to test cut the cut-outs for the props via 4 axis laser cutting machine. Any insight you can provide regarding the prop cut-outs would be appreciated. The only method I can think of is to copy the blade profile, create a cad surface model, then write the code for the laser machine. Otherwise, its a dremel tool with a carbide cutter and crossed fingers hoping I dont slip and gouge the area to-be-cut.

Regards,

Banks
Old 12-19-2002, 07:07 AM
WarbirdAirRacer
My Feedback: (16)

Originally posted by Banks
Vince and StregaMustang7,

You guys identified my spinner correctly. It does not have the prop cut-outs and will include a 3-blade prop. The spinner is made from .055"-.060" aluminun with an aluminum back plate approx. 3/8" thick. The way I mentioned the mounting, and with StregaMustang7's confirmation, is the only way I can imagine assembling this spinner. Why do you say it sucks? Because of the mounting scheme or other issues? Curiosity is getting to me know.

On a seperate note, I figured out how to metal spin those aluminum spinners. I am going to make a couple to test cut the cut-outs for the props via 4 axis laser cutting machine. Any insight you can provide regarding the prop cut-outs would be appreciated. The only method I can think of is to copy the blade profile, create a cad surface model, then write the code for the laser machine. Otherwise, its a dremel tool with a carbide cutter and crossed fingers hoping I dont slip and gouge the area to-be-cut.

Regards,

Banks

Banks, if i was you i'd spend the money and buy a Trueturn (sp) spinner. They are by far the best out there, and i do believe they make one for a P-40.

However, i dont mind the drilling of the screw holes. Im moreless talking about the cuttin the blade cut outs for the prop. It took me a good 4 hours to cut out 2 prop holes, and i did it with a dremel tool and a cut off wheel. i would wouldnt want to think what it would take me to do 3 or 4...lol but on the other hand you have a good idea with the laser cutter. And i do believe i had 25 screw holes for the mounting of it
Old 12-19-2002, 03:02 PM
STUKA BARRY

IT SOUNDS LIKE A ZINGER SPINNER TO ME. I HAVE ONE OF THEIR 6" ON MY GIANT P-51. ITS SPUN ALUMINUM WITH A LIP OVER THE BACKPLATE AND SCREWS HOLD IT TOGETHER. I HAD TO CUT OUT THE BLADE SLOTS. IT WAS'NT TO BAD. ZINGER HAS THESE SPINNERS IN STOCK AND FOR AN EXTRA $5.00 (I FOUND OUT TO LATE) THEY WILL CUT THEM FOR YOU.