Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

generally most powerful engine brand

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

generally most powerful engine brand

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 12:56 AM
geish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default generally most powerful engine brand

I'm a newbie so forgive me if this is a really vague question.

I'm wanting to know what generally is the most powerful engine brand of the same size EXAMPLE: an O.S. .45 compared to an MDS .45. I don't even know if these engines exist.
I'm aware that there are different models within a certain size of the same manufacturer i.e. LA and FX in OS models; consider the best one. I really hope ya'll are understanding what I'm saying. LOL.

Power is my concern, but I would also like to know if there are "MAJOR" considerations I should take such as very very short engine life (maybe due to all the power), unreliability (stopping in mid-air), and LESS importantly, ease of difficulty of use/tuning and price.

List the brands from most powerful to least.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-28-2003, 02:02 AM
Dave Barrow-RCU

Default RE: generally most powerful engine brand

I'm wanting to know what generally is the most powerful engine brand
Jett engines are the most powerful two stroke, also probably the most expensive.
In this hobby, you tend to get what you pay for.
Old 09-28-2003, 02:18 AM
radray

For the 4-strokes, the YS engines would be the most powerful.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:48 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The "most powerful" engines is kind of an open-ended
question....because it leads into the racing engines that
aren't really best suited for "sport" fliers, on beginers.

One could argue, for instance, that the old line of OS FSR
engines were....in the 45, 60, 90, and 1.08 sizes....

...or perhaps the Italian Rossi brand in the 45, 60, or
90 sizes....or perhaps that ducted fan motors....that turn
up into the 22-25,000 rpm range.

In the smaller sizes....the 40's and 45's you run into the
high performance motor like the Rossi, MVVS, Jett motors
and such....then into the pylon racing engines like the Jett,
and the Nelsons.

If money is no object....Dub Jett will custom build you a
motor in just about any size that could easily be labeled as
the most powerful.

In the four-stroke line....the supercharged YS motors from
Japan are the clear winners in the 63, 90, 1.10. 1.20 and
the 1.40 sizes.

Power and speed cost's money, how fast do you want to go ?

Dave. [sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 09-28-2003, 08:00 AM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the smaller sizes....the 40's and 45's you run into the
high performance motor like the Rossi, MVVS, Jett motors
and such....then into the pylon racing engines like the Jett,
and the Nelsons.
don't forget the YS .45 thats right up there with the jett power wise and probablt less expensive. it's also a very friendly engine that a beginner would have no prob setting up.

dave
Old 09-28-2003, 01:51 PM
EscapeFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[:@]YS would rule the roost here. Saito would come in a semi-close second for power to weight ratio.
Old 09-28-2003, 02:08 PM
Strykaas

I'm really astonished at the fact you want to use a *very powerful* engine, though you have quite little knowledge of model engines... What do you plan doing with this engine ? What is your flying experience ? I think you should go for a bigger engine of not the most powerful brand to avoid increasing costs and touchiness of your engine.
Old 09-28-2003, 04:04 PM
SpaceCase
My Feedback: (4)

Sure you could have a really powerfull engine but if it weighs two pounds thats a mute point. I think "power to weight" might be a better comparitory factor, of course your talking with soemone that has a saito. Its really hard though, a lot of engines, like tower even, have 1.6 hp, but no torq. If you want speed Id check out norvels new 40, if you want brute force try out a ys or a saito.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:08 AM
Texastbird

Spend a little time at a busy flying field and you will be able to make your own conclusions fairly soon. Performance in the real world is dependent on how an engine is broken in and setup in the plane and several brands of engines might be suitable for the purpose you have in mind. You don't need as YS to have fun with a trainer, but a 40LA might not be too satisfying on a Diamond Dust.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:29 AM
geish

I'm really astonished at the fact you want to use a *very powerful* engine, though you have quite little knowledge of model engines... What do you plan doing with this engine ? What is your flying experience ? I think you should go for a bigger engine of not the most powerful brand to avoid increasing costs and touchiness of your engine.
Well, my purpose for asking this question is that I plan on going far with this hobby. I want an engine that will not quickly be obsolete when I go on to a bigger plane or planes that require more power. Right now I have an 7 yr. old K&B .45 Sportster that has only been broken in and run for a total of 1.25 Hours. That's right, the engine was never used before I got it. As far as you experienced guys go, do you find it that your engines become underpowered when you move up to a bigger plane.

When it comes down to it, I want a versatile 2 stroke that has power. I don't plan on getting jet engines, ducted fans, or 4 strokes.

By the way, I have a 1/6 size GP Piper J-3 Cub that I plan on using the engine on. Is my engine big enough?
Old 09-29-2003, 12:57 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Geish:

Your K&B Sportster 45 is plenty for the GP 1/6 Cub.

My wonder at your asking about the most powerful engine wasn't because of your newness to the hobby, but at the thought of spending high dollars for an engine you could well ruin in the process of learning to fly. And speaking of which, the Cub will be a good introduction, but not much of a trainer. Built well, it's just too easy to fly. Once it's off the ground, anyway. Take off and landing with a taildragger can be a challenge.

If you destroy the K&B get another inexpensive 46 engine, they are mostly in the same power range, differing mainly in engine life and price.

Bill.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:01 AM
ewspears
My Feedback: (12)

If you eliminate Racing Engines, Specialty Engines, and Modified Engines the answer is simple, 2 stroke & 4stroke;

YS
Old 09-29-2003, 08:13 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Gee Whiz, TexasT, you really hurt my feelins, I have my YS .53 FZ on my RCM 40 Trainer.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:59 AM
f2racer

Jett engines are the most powerful two stroke, also probably the most expensive. In this hobby, you tend to get what you pay for.
I've heard that Jett engines are truly phenomonal, but I've never seen one up close (I think they're a little too rich for me and my flying buddies ). Another question I have is who in the world uses a 10x6 on their 50 sized engine? Or a 12x6 on a 91? Are Jett engines tuned for the ridiculously high rpm figures found on their site (17,000 for the 50 and 14,700 for the 90)? How would a Jett do with a prop that most of us would fly with (say an 11x7 or 12x4 for the 50 and a 13x8 or 14x6 for the 91? Does it change any of the characteristics of the engines? For me it's substantially more important that me engines be able to chug along at good rpms with a bigger prop (equating to greater thrust) than hit warp speed with a smaller prop, but then again I don't race any of my planes...

I've only been in the hobby for 3 years now, but I've run a wide array of engines. From my observations (at least for 2Cs), most of the Asian engines (including OS, TT, and Magnum), are interchangeable, in terms of power and user friendliness, given similar displacement. They also are designed for at least some nitro as most of mine like at least 10% and run better with 15-20%. The European engines I own (MVVS, Rossi, Webra) all have substantially higher compression which allows them to work well with no nitro. They also tend to be a tad more powerful than their Asian conterparts.

In terms of 4Cs, YS's are really something else (I only have a 91, but it's a monster), but require 20% nitro, which gets expensive if you fly often. Otherwise I've found that Saito's are lighter than the competition, but require at least 15% nitro. Magnums are cheap, but I've found that they usually run within a couple of hundred rpm of their OS counterparts which makes them a bargain (and they only need 10% to run well). They even look like OS clones, I'd be wouldn't be surprised if Magnum is reverse-engineering all of OS's latest models when designing their own. Thunder Tiger supposedly hired OS's chief engine designer a while back, but they've only released two 4C models to date. I've got a 91 and it seems to be as strong (if not a little stronger) than my OS 91, but took about a gallon to break in and is a couple of oz heavier than the competition.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:52 PM
maxtenet

I own about 70 .40-.46 engines and the Jett .46 will kick the crap out of any of them except for the Nelson and Cyclon. YS are NOT in the same league in two strokes (although they are closer than anyone else). Second tier would be the YS, Rossi's, Irvine, OPS, Skyward,Picco, MVVS, Enya and Webra. Third would be OS, Supertigre,GMS, MDS, TT, Magnum, Zeus, TigerShark, Fox, Silver Swallow, C.S., Merco, Mecoa, Vmax, S.C.,Megatec, Evolution and the various chinese clones. Fourth are the oddball indian and russian cheapies (Talka, Poljet, Aurora and Stas). I'm sure I left some out , but I'm just thinking of my own collection quickly in my head.

Now that I said that, and I'm sure everone will agree. (yea, right) There are other considerations suchas type of plane, ease of use spare parts, warrantys, etc., etc. Many factors are involved in this decision!

Jett is the best engine available to the general public! At $225.00 it is not cheap!

The best buy is Skyward .40 @ $80.00 which is made by Picco and distributed in Canada! Check it out.

http://www.udisco.com/hobbies/inv/SKYW10.HTM

Max

P.S. Anybody seen a Norvel .40 yet? I want one!
Old 09-29-2003, 02:08 PM
ballgunner

First decide what size engine you want and then look at specs. Does it have a ball bearing supported shaft? To compare an OS blue, sleeve bearing .46 to an OS .46 ball bearing FX is not a supportable comparison. The same is true of any make of engine of equal size. They all have their quirks. For me I go for dependability and size to fit a particular airplane. The availability of replacement parts or a suitable factory service plan is important too. There are engines with chronic carburetor problems as well as engines with a short life that is unrelated to crash damage. Read the magazines. All seem to have engine experts that comment on various types. You can usually write to the authors with questions about any engine you are considering buying.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:44 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Cox Black Widow .049 or McCoy-19 (Bluehead)
Old 09-29-2003, 03:12 PM
MikeSell
My Feedback: (2)

My opinion is that the question for one "that plans to go far in this hobby" is longevity. Which engine brand lasts forever while delivering usable power and reasonable weight. If that is the criteria I vote Enya. Although not the most powerful they do deliver above average power. Although not the lightest they are quite a bit lighter than average. They are arguably not the best running but are quite friendly and idle well. Do they last longer than your interest in the hobby? Most enya owners from the 1960s say I don't know I haven't worn out my first one yet.

(I own over 120 engines of all different brands both 2c and 4c)
Old 09-29-2003, 03:54 PM
Strykaas

120 engines [sm=bananahead.gif] ...

But how many aicraft ? 500 [sm=eek.gif] ???
Old 09-29-2003, 04:00 PM
maxtenet

Mike,

My oversight in mentioning engines. The Enya is one of my favorites for all around use and I have some Enya .40's that are 15 years old and keep getting better every year. I use them on trainers to introduce new folks to the hobby because I don't even have to think about whether they will start, run, quit, or whatever! They just run reliably regardless! I will update my previous post and still can't believe that I overlooked the obvious!

Max

P.S. Mike , are you an MECA member?
Old 09-29-2003, 04:10 PM
ChuckAuger

ORIGINAL: Strykaas

120 engines [sm=bananahead.gif] ...

But how many aicraft ? 500 [sm=eek.gif] ???
To some of us, engines are as much of a hobby as airplanes. I have a lot of engines (I have never said how many or posted a list like some people) and while some of them end up in a plane, I have many that have only been run on a test stand. I may try different pipes/props/porting and then buy another example or 2 and keep them in the un-run condition. Many I have that I have never run and don't have another example. Many I have that I have seen examples run and liked them, so I bought one.

I also have a very large collection of vacuum tubes, but I don't own but a couple of vacuum tube powered devices.

I also have a lot of airplanes, but not 5 times as many as engines. Airplanes are another of my hobbies.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:29 PM
Strykaas

"I may try different pipes/props/porting and then buy another example or 2 and keep them in the un-run condition. "

What do you plan doing with these ? Just wating for a suitable airframe ?

I understand people can fall in love with these little things.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:46 PM
ChuckAuger

ORIGINAL: Strykaas

"I may try different pipes/props/porting and then buy another example or 2 and keep them in the un-run condition. "

What do you plan doing with these ? Just wating for a suitable airframe ?

I understand people can fall in love with these little things.
Many of the engines I have are no longer in production. Some may call it collecting, I call it accumulating. I may never do anything with many of the engines. I may sell them if the right price presents itself. I may put them in a plane if the right airframe presents itself.

I suppose my thinking is, "When I die, I'd rather have that engine in a box, even if it's never been run, than wish my whole life that I could have found one like it."

I see that the hobby of engine collecting/accumulating is foreign to you. That's OK, I won't badger you with questions as to why.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:02 PM
maxtenet

Chuck, are you an MECA member?

Max
Old 09-29-2003, 05:14 PM
ZAGNUT

ORIGINAL: maxtenet

I own about 70 .40-.46 engines and the Jett .46 will kick the crap out of any of them except for the Nelson and Cyclon. YS are NOT in the same league in two strokes (although they are closer than anyone else). Second tier would be the YS, Rossi's, Irvine, OPS, Skyward,Picco, MVVS, Enya and Webra.

max,
i've never even seen a jett but on their site they say the .46 jett-fire will do between 16,500-17,800 rpm depending on type of pipe with an apc 10x6...sounds good but my pair of old cruddy ys .45fr will do almost 17,000 with OPEN exhaust. looks to me like they are in the same or even higher league than the jett performance wise but not price wise. the ys will easily out perform the rest of the engines in your second tier when it comes to spinning the smaller props.

dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.