Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Why does my OS do this

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 08:45 AM
SeacretsOceanCity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does my OS do this

I have used OS for years and have never run across this ok
I hand flip start my 60fp OS and 50% of the time it starts running backwards it starts very. easy whats up???
Old 10-22-2003, 09:57 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Why does my OS do this

A flooded engine will, more times than not, try to start backwards.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:06 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's just slightly overprimed making it a bit too rich. This rich mixture fires much too soon and pushes the piston back down before it's had a chance to go over TDC so it's now running in reverse. Because this first (reverse) firing stroke can spin the prop faster than your finger can flick it's then going fast enough to carry the piston past TDC so it just keeps on running backwards. This doesn't do any harm, it's just annoying. The cure of course is to start reducing the prime until you find what it needs to start first flick every time in the right direction.

Reverse running generally never happens when using an electric starter because the brute power of the starter overcomes the tendency to kick back. Chances are that you're priming your 60fp the same as your other engines but it just happens to be one of those engines that doesn't need much of a prime. Hand starting is the only way to learn the needs of an engine.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:50 AM
shonny

Flick it in opposite direction. Many engines (in particular TT and ST) start with a flick against the compression (not over TDC) in this manner.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:39 AM
Al Stein

There are a few things that can advance your ignition timing -- mixture is one of them, but we usually hear of pre-ignition happening on a lean mixture rather than a rich one.

A very common one that every fp engine I've seen (and I own several fps in various sizes) is sensitive to ... is plug heat. With too much current to the glow plug, these engines will eat fingers, or with a little less excess they'll want to only start backwards.

If you're using a power panel, turn it down a bit (til the plug only glows dull orange, nothing hotter). If you're using a self-contained starter battery, let it discharge a little and don't charge it up as high as it will go.