Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

sail cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 02:07 PM
ericheller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sail cars?

are you guys serious? sailcars? why?
Old 02-06-2004, 07:48 PM
Bsmooth

Default RE: sail cars?

Sounds fun to me, ODR (one design racing) has always seemed cool to me. Everyone has the same power source, the wind, and all of the vehicles are the same design. It makes for very interesting racing. I never raced land yachts or sailboats of any kind, but I like watching the americas cup and hope to make my own r/c land yacht some time soon.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:22 PM
ericheller

i think i figured it out. its for dudes that want to race rc sailboats, but they cannot swim and are afraid of water.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:58 PM
NZGene

Funny man!!![>:]

Sorry, I'm actually a very strong swimmer. I just like to fool around with RC sailing when there's not enough wind to kitesurf. I'm not a petrolhead and batteries have limitations. Local ponds are usually crowded with expensive RC yachts. That leaves me with either driving half an hour to a beach and rigging up a kitebuggy or landyacht or I have a choice of many windfacing flat surfaces to sail my RC landyacht. They're cheap to build and quite a challenge to tune for real performance. Nothing really hard to figure out about that.

For anyone interested in some healthy discussion about RC landyachts click over to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IRCSSA/

Wind is free... just try and use some of it!
Old 02-10-2004, 06:55 PM
ericheller

i just dont see why you would want a wind powered rc car when you could have electric or nitro powered and be able to jump, and go faster, not to mention drive upwind.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:39 PM
NZGene

True, it's not for everyone. That's you personal choice. I don't really have much interest in electric or nitro either. When I feel like jumping I'll go kitesurfing and when I feel like going fast I'll go landyachting or snowboarding.

I enjoy the development aspect of surface sailing and I love the mental aspect of designing a high performance sailcraft and the challenge of going faster and pointing higher upwind. There's quite a bit of skill involved in reaching +50kph limited only by knowledge and imagination. Aside from it being an onflow of my aerodynamics knowledge I've learned a lot about sailing dynamics and will be molding an IOM hull in the near future too.

Wind is free... just try and use some of it!