Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

need help identifying problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 08:59 PM
icyunvmyrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help identifying problem

Vehicle is a xxx-nt. I think I wore my clutch out but Im not sure. I was driving today and when driving it just sort-of stopped. Engine was running fine. I could get it to move but just slowly even at a high rpm. I would pick up the rear end and give it gas and the tires would spin just fine. Sounds like a clutch problem doesnt it? Well I took it all apart and looked at it and cant see whats wrong with it. the slipper pad and slipper backing plate all looked fine. They didnt look wore down at all. The spur gear also looked fine to me. I dont think it was the rear end b/c I didnt hear any clitter clatter and it wasnt lurching like it had broken teeth. Is it apparent to the eye when a clutch needs replacing? I was alsoo running the clutch VERY tight. Im sure that didnt have anyhting to do with it though =}
Old 02-07-2004, 09:51 PM
someguy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: need help identifying problem

The ball diff might be what is too loose. You can check if it is loose rather easily. With the slipper set tight hold the spur and one of the rear tires from rotating, then try to spin the other rear tire. If it spins and the slipper is not slipping then it is the diff.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:46 PM
icyunvmyrc

Wow just found another problem... Lol I did just that, held one wheel and the spur gear and when I turned the other wheel it clicked..... What is that?
Old 02-08-2004, 01:04 PM
earthspeedandfire

that click is when the diff is slipping. i also own a xxxnt and its a good idea to rebuild the diff every 1-2 gallons. u can fix right away by putting a small hex wrench through the bach right drivecup then turn the other wheel forward abotu an 1/8 of a turn that should tighten up the diff. also look in ur manuel it explains it a little better in there.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:19 PM
icyunvmyrc

I havent used a full gallon yet. So its ok for the diff to slip like that or Not good? Im trying to associate this rear end to a cars rear end, I dont have a clue to how the rear end in the xxx-nt works.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:28 PM
icyunvmyrc

nvm that last question, I read the maual lol. Should have done that before posting agian. Thanks for the info though.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:01 PM
icyunvmyrc

Im mad at myself. I did something stupid. I was tightening the diff as the instructions say. I lined up the 2 slots, put an allen wrench in the slots and turned the left wheel. The directions to have it as tight as possible. I turned it like 3 times before something snapped real loud and now its toast. Im mad at losi b/c they werent clear at all on how tight it should be. And they didnt state anything about it being able to turn to far and break. Im mad at myself b/c that was jsut stupid. Does anyone know what broke? was it the gear? Now when I line up the slots and try to re-tighten the diff, it puts hardly any strain on the right side outdrive. Oh well, time to upgrade maybe.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:14 PM
MotorPsyko

for the Evader the manual says tighten the nut to "snug" then back off 1/8 of a turn.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:40 PM
icyunvmyrc

Ya I should have known not to wrench down on it like I did. My fault. Still dont know what I broke, can anyone help me with that?
Old 02-11-2004, 08:11 PM
addicted2rc9
My Feedback: (4)

You broke the diff adjusting screw, it is common till you get a feel for it. pn A-2910. I did the same thing when I first got my truck. Once I learned how to adjust everything, haven't had a single prob since. Very tough when adjusted correctly.