Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Removing covering trim

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Removing covering trim

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 03:27 PM
tenorio41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing covering trim

Does anyone know the best method for removing the trim covering from common ARFs? I am interested in removing some of the generic factory trim to replace with my own. I am thinking maybe quick flashes with the heat gun followed by a gentle peeling. Odd question...just wondering if there is experience with this out there....

Thanks
PS...I am thinkin the U-Can-Do would look nice with the wing trim replaced so that it has a Thunderbirds theme with a O2 masked military pilot under the canopy
Old 09-17-2003, 10:32 PM
cdracer

Default RE: Removing covering trim

you are right.

i have done the same thing with a great planes arf, and hobbico arf cus I hated looking like everyone else [8D]

Although my fingers were toasty, I used a dental pic and exacto knife to help start the peel action.

I know some other brands have thicker covering, and the cool ones use monokote or ultracote and those are no problems unless you have the plastice vacuformed wingtips which I think most do. I wasn't sucessful removing the plastic wingtips via heat and peel. Eventually the glue wins and u start to rip the plastic however all pieces were reusable and covered with a strip of monokote so no real issue there. Also as for me, since i didn't plan to reuse the factory covering, I just cut into it and worked my way around. This is of course if you don't know where to start

Hope this inspires you to experiment. Main advice do it slow and work it loose.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:43 PM
3DFLYERBG89

Default RE: Removing covering trim

Heat gun works perfect!!!! Ive done it to alot of planes...When covering is gone was the spot with mineral spirits to get the glue off the covering...And yes buy that U-CAN-DO 3-D!! I have 1 and it flys..........flys...............flys.......well I cant even put it into words...I have built 2 of them....when you balance it it may look a touch tail heavy....leave it that way it flys perfect!!!