Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

HANGAR HANGERS

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

HANGAR HANGERS

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 10:10 PM
bark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HANGAR HANGERS

HI GUYS,

I KNOW THAT THIS HAS PROBABLY BEEN BROUGHT UP BEFORE BUT I CAN'T FIND THE THREAD.SO I'LL ASK.I'D LIKE TO KNOW HOW YOU STORE YOUR AIRPLANES AT HOME. I JUST FINISHED REORGANIZING MY GARAGE AND WOULD LIKE TO HANG MY BIRDS ON THE WALLS, BUT BEFORE I START DRILLING AND NAILING I'D LIKE TO TAP INTO THE VAST WEALTH OF EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE OUT THERE FOR SOME IDEAS AND MAYBE SOME PICS.ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED.

THANKS
Old 09-30-2003, 10:38 PM
Daddyo57
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: HANGAR HANGERS

This method has served me well for many years and all sizes of aircraft. Built of 1 inch schedule 40 pvc tubing and 4 elbows attached to the ceiling studs with 2 number 8, 3 inch wood screws, and padded. Larger airplane? longer uprights. I have held 10 pound plus airplanes for uears with this setup.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49717.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	64827  
Old 10-01-2003, 10:45 AM
SVFlier

I use the Hanger Nine hangers. I suspend the airframes vertically on the horizontal stabilizers. I hang my 1/4-scale Cub, and several Tiger 60s, and hung a DP Ultimate that way. The only tricky part (meaning: it took two tries) is being certain that you have adequate vertical clearance for the tail feathers! Works for me!
Old 10-01-2003, 11:09 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use Clothes hangers. Make sure you use heavy-duty ones

Name:	Fc90169.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	64901  
Old 10-02-2003, 08:09 PM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

Here's what I use.

Name:	Ay73524.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	65204  
Old 10-03-2003, 07:04 PM
bark

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT GUYS.I THINK I HAVE A PRETTY GOOD IDEA OF WHAT I'M GOING TO DO NOW.I'LL TRY AND GET THE END RESULTS POSTED WHEN I'M DONE.

THANKS AGAIN,
KEITH
Old 10-03-2003, 08:25 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have tubing and pipe insulation roped in the ceiling for my deal

Name:	He97298.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	65424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99092.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	65425  
Old 10-04-2003, 02:42 AM
linclogs

Minn Flyer --

I see one problem with your setup (at least it would be a problem for me).

By suspending the model from clothes hangers on the wings, if your rubber bands deteriorate, the wing will stay but the rest of the model will fall when the rubber bands rot. All my models hang from the rafters in my garage and I notice the rubber bands that hold the wings on (for those that don't have hold down bolts on the wings), don't last more than a few months. I'm using "live" #64 rubber bands.

I hang my models from the fuselage. Then if the wing bands go bad, the wing still stays on the top of the fuselage. Of course, it it's a low wing model, then this doesn't work. If suspended from the fuselage, and the wing bands rot, the wing would fall off the bottom of the plane!

Looking at all the methods I've seen here on RCUniverse, it appears the safest is to have a storage system for fuselages and another for wings - unless all your wings are bolted on.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:53 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone used Du-Bro's or Hangar 9's products to hold your plane(s)?

Jerry
Old 10-04-2003, 05:07 PM
Daddyo57
My Feedback: (15)

krayzc-RCU I like your method for the fuselages, do you do the wings the same way? I settled on the method I use (see above post) because it seems like every airplane is a little different size of course, high wing, low wing etc. but I chose this method mainly because I can snuggle them up pretty close to the ceiling and kind of stagger them, I am amazed at how many airplanes I can store this way, and it also makes a great fishing pole hanger too!!!
Old 10-04-2003, 10:55 PM
JKovats
My Feedback: (2)

I don't have any pictures but here goes. I hang my "current ready to go but inactive" planes with a soft rope around the fuselage in front of and behind the wing. That way, no stress in the wings, no chance of falling, no stress on the fuse and no stress on my.

I usually have 3-4 planes that I am actively flying. At the front of my garage I have 2 parrallel 2x4's screwed thru the drywall into the studs 32" apart. On these 2x4's I have drilled and glued in (4 per 2x4), 3/4 wooden dowels about 12" long. Over the dowels I slide 1/2" copper pipe foam insulation to reduce hanger damage. I put these dowels about 10-12" apart on the vertical. Here is where I put my fuselages, staggered right to left and left to right.(Keeps the tailfeathers compatible) Close to my chargers, work bench,etc,any maintainance that needs to be done.

On my side wall I do the same thing but I put the dowels a little closer together and this is my wing rack. I start by putting my first wing just under the garage door track. I find that way, I get my car in and out of the garage easily and 4 wings usually stay high enough that it doesn't interfere with my car at all.

Why don't one of you guys send me a digital camera and I'll send some pictures.

Ha ha.

John K
Old 10-05-2003, 09:13 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I have pulleys, to hoist the front and back to the ceiling.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:42 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the Hangar 9 ones mainly for wings. We had a fly in and I won a set then the hobby shop that donated them was selling them for $5.00 later in the day. Couldn't pass that one up so I got a couple.