Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Covering a wing fillit.

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Covering a wing fillit.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2003, 09:03 AM
Zpat
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering a wing fillit.

This is a picture of a Gee Bee Z fillet.
I'm trying to cover it with Black Baron film. Most of my covering experience is with Super Coverite and my covering skills aren't very good.
Is it possible to cover this with film and how is it done?

Thanks for the info.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52685.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	65478  
Old 10-05-2003, 10:31 AM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Covering a wing fillit.

It looks like the surface is a fiberglass part, if it is so, your best bet is to prime and sand the part ready to accept paint (but don't do it just yet), cover the entire airframe with whatever material you are going to use and bring the covering jusst enough over the fillet and trim it, if there is like a step in this area (such as a panel line), end it right there, then proceed painting the area, the paint will help seal the covering so it doesn't lift up under use.
Fabric is very easy to make conform on surfaces as wing fillets, but plastic film is hard to lay down without trapping air bubbles, specially if it is fiberglass and is very unsightly.
I usually do the fillets in wood, then cover the area with fiberglass and epoxy resin, prime it and then paint, after covering of course, it looks real, and profesionally done.
Old 10-05-2003, 05:18 PM
Zpat
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WalterD
Thanks for the advise.
I tried to cover it with plastic again, using 1" strips.
It was impossible for me to lay the covering down wrinkle free.
The picture shows the result.
The fillet is a composite of ABS and 1/32 plywood. I surfaced it using a polyester filler (the pink stuff) I believe I'm going to try your idea with paint.
Any particular brand of paint?
Thanks again.
Pat
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77628.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	65686  
Old 10-06-2003, 09:31 AM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use just about anything that is fuel proof, you will get good results and inexpensively by going to Home Depot or Lowe's and getting a can of Rustoleum gray primer and the paint of your choice, spray the primer first, let dry (it only takes but a few minutes), spray only enough to hide the colors underneath, but do not overspray, once it dries out, sand with a 320 sandpaper dry just enough to smooth the surface out, now you can see if some spots still need some more filling or sanding, the surface should be void of cracks or pin holes which will show through even after the color paint is applied, after the surface is smooth, mask the area to be painted (there's plenty of information around on how to best do this, you can find painting tips here or use any search engine to read about the topic), Rustoleum should be sprayed in light coats, specially the first two, do NOT try to cover the area even in one shot, the paint will run, do it slow and progressively, 3 light coats will do it, the last one can be a tad heavier, but not much. Good Luck!