Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

fuel line leak fix

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

fuel line leak fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 04:16 PM
JakeCarter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel line leak fix

Recently while at the field I found I had a small hole in one of my fuel lines. I didn't have a spare piece long enough to replace it and had a full day of flying ahead of me. No one else at the field at the time had any either. Then an idea came to me. I got a ball point pen out of my car and pulled it apart, then cut about 1 inch off of end of the ink tube where there was no ink. I then cut the fuel line at the leak and inserted the tube in the fuel line, between the two cut ends. Worked great and I was able to keep flying
Old 10-09-2003, 06:53 AM
Kaos Rulz

Default RE: fuel line leak fix

Another way would have been to cut a 3/8 inch piece of excess (presuming you had enough excess) and stretch this over the damaged area. Works well. I also use this method to hold the fuel lines onto carb, filters, or tanks. In these cases, I cut 1/4 inch pieces. Needle-nosed pliers work best to stretch the tubing large enough to slip over the fuel line.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:33 AM
SaviCatses

My muffler pressure line was too short after some crash repairs, but I had already reinstalled the fuel tank in the fuselage. That fuel tank is really incredibly difficult to get in there, so I had absolutely no motivation to take it back out to change the pressure line.

So I did pretty much what you did, except I used some 3/4 inch of spare brass tubing. At first I was about to use some plastic tubing (looks much like the ball-point pen material) that came with the fuel tank, except that I realised the muffler pressure line comes in contact with the engine's head. I don't know if the heat would have been enough to melt the plastic, so I didn't take a chance and used brass instead.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:36 PM
Balsa Master

always cary extra filters with me, cut n splicealthough the pen idea is kinda cool, woulda thought that would have torn the fule line even more being hard and kinda sharp...