Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Weird question??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 02:15 AM
naynay12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird question??

My friend today made me just as curious as him,that when and engine seizes does it just stop working???And if i ran my engine lean for a few tanks would it seiz within a few tanks??
Old 03-04-2007, 05:46 AM
PENGUINBLASTER!!!

Default RE: Weird question??

When it seizes while you're trying to start it, it flooded. If it seizes after sitting for a long time, it's corroded.

Running at 300 degrees for a few tanks isn't good.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:40 AM
DaveG55

There are lots of ways an engine can "sieze" up. There is hydro locking which stops the engine from turning but isn't reall seizing. There is seizing from corosion.
There is also seizure from overheating the engine which is from running too lean. In that kind of seizure one of a few things can happen. The piston/sleeve clearance becomes too tight and the piston cannot move up and down or some other moving part (conrod, crankshaft, bearings, etc) becomes so hot that they actually weld themselves togeather. Then there's the situaton whee a part is stressed so badly that it comes apart and parts wedge into somewhere and stop the engine.
In all cases the engine will stop instantly. It does not take a lot of outside force to stop one of these engines. Take a stick and push it against a moving flywheel and you'll see how little it really takes.
As to running lean and the damage it can cause; If you are really badly lean then yes it can cause it to seize when the engine was really hot. But if it's just been run a little lean for a few tanks and then corrected (or even not) the engine is not likely to seize up. It is much more likely that you will start to lose compression from loss of pinch and then you will start to have tuning problems and problems with the engine dieing after it reaches operating temps.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:37 AM
naynay12

Ok,so sometimes people say this:E;G The 3.3 engine will last about 6 GALLONS.After it finsishes lasting 6 gallons what happens to it.What wears out/melts? Thanks.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:29 AM
lachy1

^^^ loses pinch and compression and will seize up ect, or just really start to go down the hill in performance
Old 03-05-2007, 03:16 PM
-EXTRA-

Some people get 12 gallons on there 3.3,i have 5 right now and it's still stronge as the day i got it,so just depend's on how you treat the engine.