Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Powerbox Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 06:50 AM
Skip
My Feedback: (76)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Powerbox Question

I am thinking about buying a powerbox for my 35% Edge. Is it really worth the money?
Old 12-09-2004, 07:05 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Powerbox Question

It simplifies wiring and power distribution.
If you get a lot of voltage loss to the servos, then it is a good investment.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:40 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

I'll be trying one for the first time very soon on my Composite Arf Yak. Model 40/24 Professional with two 20A power switchs.

There are a lot of plus with the power box but it is another link in the chain.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:50 AM
CDignition
My Feedback: (9)

I don't see it being necessary for monoplanes to 45% size...Biplanes like the Hangar 9 Ultimate it may make things easier...I run my 40% extra with 2 RX's, and 2 8611's on ailerons and singles on elevator...works awesome and lighter/simple..
Old 12-09-2004, 09:02 AM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

I think so...they can eliminate regulators and mechanical switches...simplify cabling...signal amplification and RF filtering are a huge benefit for the long servo leads in 35%+ airframes.
I'll be using one of the Emcotec units in my 35%.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:16 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I am now checking into a product by [link=http://www.smart-fly.com/Products/Expander/expander.htm]Smartfly[/link]
It seems to be really interesting.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:09 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Whatever the product, Powerbox, Emcotech, Smartfly etc., the benefit seems to be in the regulation and amplification as stated above. There are tons of ways to wire big airframes, and each user can tout their personal benefits. Consistant Voltage , long extension runs, failsafe switching, battery redundance etc. led me to use Powerboxes in two of my 40% planes last season. My 35% however still uses one receiver, one switch, and one receiver battery without a hitch. I like the simple route. When is enough, enough?
Even went with one receiver in the 40% Powerbox setups without a problem.
Like I said, each user will tout the benefits of their personal set up.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:43 PM
stomper

Hey Bob

Which power box did you use and what is your battery configuration?

I'll be setting up my Composite ARF 2.6 Yak with a 40/24 Professional and two 20A power switchs, single reciver, but not sure on the battery set-up yet.

I have heard of some guys that have gone to six cells on there dual packs using the power box!

TIA
Old 12-12-2004, 02:39 PM
bob_nj

stomper, how are you man? Good I hope, you ole timer you
I am using the same box as you are, with dual 6v 2700 NiMh in one plane, and dual 6v 2400 Nicads in the other.
It's been awhile, but I thought 6 was the recommended voltage? I'll do some research and see what I come up with.
Aren't the regulators in the box rated at 6?

I'm not familiar with your switch set up as I have the single dual purpose switch. I ran pigtails from the battery packs to external charge jacks on the plane so I wouldn't have to remove the canopy or the multiplex plugs from the box. That would be a total pain.

The only thing about my set up is that I can't charge both batteries at the same time from the same charger. I thought it was something to do with a common ground or something. I never really did get a straight answer on that one.
Not sure if it's the box, or the way I have it set up. No big deal though. I use the Sirius line of chargers and charge them some after a few flights.

Anyway, I like the box, I like the concept, and have had no problems with my planes aside from not having enought time to fly them[X(]

Happy Holidays and take care_bob
Old 12-13-2004, 09:49 AM
stomper

Thanks for the reply Bob

Yeah I'm doing good. Hope you are as well!!

Doh......I see it says to use four to five cell Nicad or Nimh only, right on the top of the power box!

Been using Sanyo 2400 sub C Nicad packs in my planes, so I'll properly just have two five cell packs made up for this plane.

Here are the switchs I intend to use. > http://dual-power-control.com/e/powe..._set/start.php
My plan was to just replace the stock Multiplex connectors on the switchs between the switch and battery packs.

If you can, could you post a link for your switch?
Old 12-13-2004, 10:14 AM
bob_nj

Here's the link for the switch I use. Not sure if your set up is the same in this respect, but if this switch fails, the unit stays on.
I like that.
Do you have the ability to use your switches to test the system after a flight? I think they call it the snitch test or something. If I hold both buttons on my switch immediately after a flight before turning the system off, the LED's on the box with go to the highest voltage position used during the flight. Don't know if that makes sense, but in essence I can see how far up the lights went while I was flying. If the were in the "red", either it's time to charge, or something else may be going on.

[link=http://dual-power-control.com/e/powerbox_systeme/powerbox_sensor/start.php]switch[/link]

I can't get the stupid link to work

http://dual-power-control.com/e/powe...nsor/start.php
Old 12-14-2004, 09:51 AM
stomper

I do like the added benefits of this SensorSwitch and will be ordering one to try. But I like the Idea of checking what the highest voltage used was on the last flight!

I down loaded the operating manual but could not find any info on this feature? Very well might be something that was added later?

http://dual-power-control.com/shared..._sensor_en.pdf

Thanks alot for the help Bob! I look foreward to trying this Power box out!
Old 12-14-2004, 10:36 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

The Duralite powerBox 24 is the same thing as the PowerBox 40/24 Pro... It just comes prepackaged with the Sensor switch already.

It is a VERY sweet option and I would easily choose it over a dual receiver system... it offers too many additional features at bascially a little less cost.

Even on a 33%, the advantages are pretty nice and the clean install is a major plus.

You wouldn't have to use the Duralite batteries on it... you could use Fromeco or whatever brand you prefer. The system comes with the graupner power connectors to attach to your batteries...

-David
Old 12-14-2004, 05:12 PM
stomper

I have the Power Box and dual switchs that I ordered with a 2.6 Yak a few months ago. But now that I have taken a closer look at what Bob is using, I think I'll go ahead and order the Sensor switch and eat the dual switchs I have now. One less hole to cut into the side of the fuse.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:29 AM
Richi-d

Hi there,
just to bring in light in the discussion.
The Powerbox Sensor is a standalone device for planes with about 6 - 8 servos. It has build in: 2 regulators and 2 electronic switches for 2 batteries. No voltage display- just two green lights for ON/OFF status
The Powerbox Sensor-Switch is the switch for the Powerbox Competition and Champion. This switch controls the electronic switches on the Powerbox units AND shows you the LOWEST voltage you had during flight when pressing the two buttons. This Sensor Switch only works in combination with one of the two Powerboxes I described above
Old 12-19-2004, 08:11 AM
stomper

So the Sensor Switch will not work with the 40/24 Professional that I have? When reading about the switch, it seemed odd that the switch has it's own regulators!

I will shoot an email to them just to confirm this info, thanks for the heads up!!
Old 12-29-2004, 12:06 PM
Richi-d

This are two different devices: Powerbox Sensor and Powerbox Sensor Switch.
The Powerbox Professional is designed for the 20A mechanical switches. You also find them on the website. The Professional is designed for 4 or 5 cell use only. If you want to use Lipo cells it´s recommended to use the Competition or Champion.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:47 PM
emearg

I have a question regarding the Powerboxes. Do they have redundancy built in? To phrase that differently, what happens if a component in the powerbox fails? Does it result in a loss of everything? Seems strange to have redundant switches, batteries, receivers and servos if the Powerbox is the weak point!?? I presume that the Powerbox does in fact have redundancy built in somehow, but as I have never heard mention of it I am curious to know the answer...
Old 12-29-2004, 07:16 PM
bob_nj

Since Richie seems to be monitoring the thread, he is best to answer the question above. I will say though, that there is documentation showing the smoke and melted wires of a purposely shorted servo and the rest of the powerbox and flight system still working perfectly. Kevin from Aircraft International did the same demo at the Nall in May.
Not sure if that answers your question, but if not, someone will

stomper - sorry, I do have the Competition and misled you a little. Don't get old...[]
Old 12-31-2004, 03:11 AM
Richi-d

Hi again,

I´m in holiday, so I have time to answer some questions ;-)

Yes, every component in the Powerboxes are redundant. In the Competition/Champion are two electronic switches, two seperate microcontrollers - working absolute independent, double pulse amplifier there are 7 on board (each is a extra IC not only one big for all pulse like in other products). Also the voltage regulation is double.... and so on. And don´t forget, using one of this systems is the only possibility to give the servos of big planes the power they need. With extern regulators and normal switches over the receiver you can´t handle the amount of current which the servos need.
All pilots using this units will confirm that their rudders are working harder and more exactly.
So there is a huge advantage in security and performance using this systems!
Old 12-31-2004, 01:03 PM
Silent-AV8R

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Richi-d
. And don´t forget, using one of this systems is the only possibility to give the servos of big planes the power they need. With extern regulators and normal switches over the receiver you can´t handle the amount of current which the servos need.
Can you please provide the empirical data that proves this assertion to be correct?? Merely saying it does not make it is true. I am not talking about what people report either. I would very much like to see data derived from controlled bench tests that show that a normal 2 battery, 2 switch, single RX system fails to provide the required current to servos under load. Or better yet, actual flight data.

Anything less strikes me as nothing more than sales hype.

For instance, EMCOTEC has data on their website collected during test flights of a 40% plane with 14 digital servos in it. Their tests showed that the average current draw in flight was around 3 amps (214 mA per servo) with a max instantaneous draw of 20 amps (3 millisecond duration - 1.4 amps per servo - well below "stall" current) during a series of consecutive snap rolls. I am hard pressed to believe that this would overwhelm a simple 2-pack/2-switch/single RX system.

However, if you have data that proves my conclusion wrong, I will change my mind after seeing it.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Richi-d

Do you fly aerobatic and 3D with your great planes?
Old 01-10-2005, 12:42 PM
stomper

ORIGINAL: bob_nj

Since Richie seems to be monitoring the thread, he is best to answer the question above. I will say though, that there is documentation showing the smoke and melted wires of a purposely shorted servo and the rest of the powerbox and flight system still working perfectly. Kevin from Aircraft International did the same demo at the Nall in May.
Not sure if that answers your question, but if not, someone will

stomper - sorry, I do have the Competition and misled you a little. Don't get old...[]
Just getting back on RCU after be off for a few weeks.

Bob Not a problem! and I belive we are about the same age so I know where your coming from on the aging thing

If I go with a second box, I'll have to give the Competion Box a try.

Any plans of attending any shows down this way in 05?
Old 01-10-2005, 12:47 PM
bob_nj

Not sure yet. Still trying to keep up with a new job.

If I was to get another box, it would be the Champion. It has built in servo matching capabilities

Take care, and come on Spring_bob