Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Big and Light gas tanks - I need some ideas

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Big and Light gas tanks - I need some ideas

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 07:58 AM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big and Light gas tanks - I need some ideas

Ok, guys I need some fresh ideas about a source of big and light gas tanks.

Next summer, we will be making 40 min full power sampling flights using 100 cc engines and 200 cc engines. The 100 cc engine will burn off a gallon of fuel during the flight and the 200 cc engine will burn off 2 gallons of fuel.

It would be perfect if I could find a gas tank which had a screw on cap to be filled like we fill our lawn mowers ect. which is light and easily available.

Any Ideas?

Elson
Old 01-08-2005, 08:33 AM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Big and Light gas tanks - I need some ideas

Use a regular gallon jug - like we get nitro fuel in. I guess you need to check for gas compatibility, but Du-bro or someone already makes pass thru fittings for the cap - meant to allow the flyer to just strap a pump to the bottle.

Anyway, I've seen turbine guys do this. Actually, with a little planning you could possibly design a tank mount that would allow the jug to be held in place with velcro, so you could quick-swap a full tank in place of an empty one.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:44 AM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Big and Light gas tanks - I need some ideas

Hey Elson,

Try a go cart shop. The other thing you could do is go to a paint shop, ask for a 1 gallon rectangular can with a screw on cap. You can solder a vent and pickup into the can and use the screw on cap to fill it with. If the cap isn't in the right spot buy a few and cut the screw cap off and solder another where you want it on the can.

Chris