Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Where to put the "Y" connector?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Where to put the "Y" connector?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 01:13 AM
Ryans Rebel
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to put the "Y" connector?

I'm running two servos per elevator for the first time on a new model. Obviously I plan to have them on the same channel using a Y connector. Question is: Do I put the Y at the Rx or just after the servos? If I put it at the servos I can save an extension, but I'm not sure which way is better & why.

Ryan
Old 01-09-2005, 02:00 AM
islandflyer

Default RE: Where to put the "Y" connector?

I don't use Y-connectors for that application; typically if you do you will need a way to reverse one of the servos: either a servo reverser, or programmable servos.
I personnaly use 2 chanels mixed through my transmitter.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:10 AM
Ryans Rebel

islandflyer

I think you misunderstood. I'm using (2) servos PER elevator, not (2) servos for the elevator. One will not be reversed.

Ryan
Old 01-09-2005, 10:09 AM
islandflyer

Indeed, I misread.
I would install the Y-connector closest to Tx with 2 extentions, so that the 2 servos share the wire on the shortest possible length.
Are you using programmable servos or some type of "Matchbox" ?
Old 01-09-2005, 10:49 AM
Ryans Rebel

Have not decided yet. I bought the model with Futaba 9206's. They are premium servos for sure. Might go programmable Hitecs.

Ryan
Old 01-09-2005, 11:59 AM
Stick Jammer

I agree with islandflyer, keep the "Y" as close to the Rx as possible. I also like to solder my own "Y's". I've taken apart some factory "Y's" and did not like what I saw. One brand that I dissected used a small piece of printed circuit board for the current to split two ways, not my first choice of how the power should flow. Another brand that was soldered didn't have enough protection (IMO) between the three wires at the solder joints which could lead to a short.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:00 PM
islandflyer

Ryans Rebel:

I also read your other post on ganging non-programmable servos. The truth is that TOC pilots did without all this stuff before, because it was not available and they had no choice. They are also sponsored, and don't care about the expense of changing servos often (wich is opposite to our concerns for most of us).
Match boxes came out of necessicity from the proliferation of large planes needing multiple servos. It is possible to match two servos, but like the other post said, you are in for a geometry lesson/nightmare.
I am an uncontional user of Futaba servos, mostly the 9402 wich is faster than than the 9206 (111oz / .10sec. @ 6v). When I gang up Fuataba's I use the MSA-10.
My 42% plane has 9152's with two MSA-10.
I also have Hitec 5945's in my 33% plane (with the programmer).
Both systems work well, but the MSA-10 is a lot easier to use than having to individually program each servo.
I personnally would not do without either system: I have too much $$ in the big planes, and will not riks malfunctions to save a hundred or two hundred bucks.

Just my opinion.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:41 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As others said and were correct, put the Y right at the rx. For each elevator half you will need two straight extensions and a Y. I would cut the plugs off the servos and solder the extensions onto each servo so you can eliminate one plug connection. Besides, that plug/socket will be inside the tail of the fuse and hard to reach. The plugs should be unplugged and plugged in now and then to better the electrical connection. They can corrode and give a bad connection if this is not done now and then.