Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

drying out an rx

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

drying out an rx

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 02:37 PM
rcguy1411

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drying out an rx

need any tips and tricks to dry out my rx have already used wd 40 and compressed air also how reliable are they after they get wet or do i just go get a new onbe and try and sneek it in the house [sm=drowning.gif]
Old 04-06-2010, 04:18 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: drying out an rx

If it was just fresh water simply let it dry out i wouldnt have used wd40 there are better options available for electrics like corrosion x.Let it dry out fully before you attampt to switch it on again and it should be ok.I dunked one in salt water so i stripped it apart rinsed it under the tap at home and left it to dry out and it worked fine
Mart
Old 04-06-2010, 05:56 PM
gtdad

ORIGINAL: rcguy1411

need any tips and tricks to dry out my rx have already used wd 40 and compressed air also how reliable are they after they get wet or do i just go get a new onbe and try and sneek it in the house [sm=drowning.gif]
fillit full of dialectic grease and it will waterproof it. ( a little messy, but well worth it!!)

Old 04-06-2010, 07:26 PM
nitro_79
My Feedback: (2)

Not sure where to buy it now, but I use Aeroplate on my electronics, servos, rx, everything, its like an oil but it seals and protects the electronics, and repels water, not messy at all. I got it from Aerotrend but I'm not finding their web page any more. I've read claims that if all electronics are protected with this stuff they can be submerged and survive. I've never had to replace anything since using it.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:26 PM
MrMikeG

Metho or rubbing alchol will get rid of water too, then as stated let it throughly dry before putting power to it.
Aeroplate is similar to corrosion X
Old 04-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Jon DesJardins

I keep this in my tool box along with my EPO grease & Amsoil Metal protectant

http://www.whhonline.com/product_p/cp180.htm
Old 04-06-2010, 09:42 PM
rcguy1411

thanks for all the tip im shure this will help not only me but many others
Old 04-06-2010, 09:50 PM
RIO512010

I would agree with every post put up but this is what i would do if it were mine. I would use Methyl hydrate/alcohol to remove any water , clean it out very well paper towels and blow gently with compressed air then i would coat my parts with the best stuff on the planet!! Fluid Film.
http://www.fluid-film.com/ check it out NASA uses it !!
I have snow and salting equipment and this is the only stuff i  have found that will resit corrosion in any form on anything even electrical the best. Hope this helps. JMO.....
Old 04-06-2010, 10:23 PM
RIO512010

BTW i forgot to mention that if any metal get's pickled from salt contamination REPLACE it as you will never get rid of re occurring rust/ corrosion issues!

Once the material is pickled it is always going to casue problems for you no matter what you try to do to solve the problem been there done that ! Fresh water is not such a problem as it has such a low specific gravity (salt content). So it should be ok if you get to it soon enough. JMO>>>>>>>