Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Time for a face lift :)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Time for a face lift :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 03:49 PM
Vettster

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Time for a face lift :)

So.... about a month ago I was at a jet event with my trusty old Sprint that must have over 300 flights on her. There was 6 other Sprints and they were all identical!!

I figured it was time to do something different. Though Im sure many have painted theirs.. I just havnt seen to many other Sprint jets with something different. Please feel free to post pics of your sprint jet if its been modified.

My good buddy did the vinyl decals for me. He does much of this stuff for RC'ers. If interested send me a pm and I will point him your direction

I painted it with Tamiya Acylics and clear coated with Rust-oleum Satin to protect against smudges.

I added panel lines and rivets. (will post some close ups including the bottom later )

The whole thing took about 4 days (rainy days )

Thanks for looking

Trevor
Old 10-17-2013, 04:33 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

They are still a bone ugly design, but you've made it look, I think the best way to put it is, "right". It looks like some sort of vietnam era cargo plane or something. Looks much better in that scheme. I want to do a vietnam era camo on my old CAI Raptor, I'm going to be sure it gets the shark mouth on it too though, love that mouth like the old phantoms had
Nice job!
Old 10-18-2013, 12:32 PM
Vettster

Thanks Jeremy. I agree... the Sprint is one ugly looking plane. I always said it looks like a school bus. I love the Vietnam colors so thought it might do it justice. I think it worked I even thought about adding the shark mouth.. but I felt it would be just to busy for this plane.

Trev
Old 10-18-2013, 12:34 PM
jetster81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work,you have transformed a sport plane into something that could be mistaken for a full size type, and a big improvement on the original.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:18 PM
Boomerang1

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

So.... about a month ago I was at a jet event with my trusty old Sprint that must have over 300 flights on her.
Lots of people bag the humble Boomerang (I call them 'wheelbarrows') but for a basic go-to jet for everyday flying they can't be beat.

300 flights? Basic, simple design engineered well. Lot's of jets (as we have seen in other threads) are lucky to last one! - John.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

I agree with LGM. I'm not a real fan of camo... but it's nice to see a boom'er in something other than a sport, or Navy theme.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:36 PM
Vettster

Thank You Jester.

Right you are .Boomerang. It is the perfect go-to plane. It fits in the trunk of a car and can take off and land on ANY field that will allow turbines. Thats why this plane has more flights than any other in my hanger. The bigger ones just need more space where as the Sprint is always!! ready to go
Old 10-18-2013, 07:53 PM
bmetcalf

Hey that looks great !, I am going to do that , hey wait I did do that to my XL . Too times . Hope to see it and you in the spring. Brad "Maddog" Metcalf
Old 10-19-2013, 12:15 AM
rfbenn

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I might have taken this face lift a bit far , I bought a set of Intro wings and decided to make a fuselage that I like the look of. The first picture with the wings on shows where I've extended the outer wing root to make up for the missing booms.
The second with everything glassed and the final one with the air intake scoops fitted and airframe in primer.

I really like the way my Intro flys but boy is it ugly, so we'll see if my creation works. Got to finish the primer then start the install and if it works paint it properly.

Rob

Last edited by rfbenn; 10-19-2013 at 04:45 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:14 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This was my effort some time ago, still flying and the lights add a bit of fun.

Mike
Old 10-19-2013, 06:16 AM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to be different too.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:01 AM
Jetflyer3000
Banned

Originally Posted by rfbenn
I might have taken this face lift a bit far , I bought a set of Intro wings and decided to make a fuselage that I like the look of. The first picture with the wings on shows where I've extended the outer wing root to make up for the missing booms.
The second with everything glassed and the final one with the air intake scoops fitted and airframe in primer.

I really like the way my Intro flys but boy is it ugly, so we'll see if my creation works. Got to finish the primer then start the install and if it works paint it properly.

Rob
Now that is impressive. I hope it flys well. It looks god and the old adage if it looks like it will fly it probably will should I hope hold true
Old 10-19-2013, 07:02 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Did you strip the coating off and then paint, or did you paint over the coating?

I'd thought about doing this same thing to my Nano.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:24 AM
Vettster

Originally Posted by bmetcalf
Hey that looks great !, I am going to do that , hey wait I did do that to my XL . Too times . Hope to see it and you in the spring. Brad "Maddog" Metcalf
Yeah but Brad.. I painted mine Identical to the real one that entered service in the last 3 weeks of the Nam war

See you in the spring buddy. and oh yeah...."I want to fly like Blair!" lol

Some really nice work there Rob!

So guys.. I think we can all agree that anything but the original looks so much better. The ones that have been posted all look great! A big improvement over the original.

Trev
Old 10-19-2013, 07:26 AM
Vettster

Originally Posted by VF84sluggo
Did you strip the coating off and then paint, or did you paint over the coating?

I'd thought about doing this same thing to my Nano.
Cant speak for the others.. but I didnt sand or strip anything down. I just sprayed a coat of Tremclad Primer over the entire plane and went to work.

Last edited by Vettster; 10-19-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:37 AM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks awesome. Nice way to create something unique from a well known and proven design.

People love to pan the Boomers but when the conditions are sh$tty, like crosswinds, short grass fields, etc. it's the Boomers that are flying while all the "expensive" hardware is parked. I love my Elan and as long as I'm flying jets, I'll never be without one.

PaulD
Old 10-19-2013, 07:46 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Originally Posted by Vettster
Cant speak for the others.. but I didnt sand or strip anything down. I just sprayed a coat of Tremclad Primer over the entire plane and went to work.
Ok good. Peeling/stripping all the coating off, then cleaning and prepping, is a bigger job than I want to tackle and has been what's deterred me. Nice to know that is not necessary.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:30 PM
kberk222

looks great