Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Reapplying old plastic film covering

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Reapplying old plastic film covering

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 05:27 PM
lamarkeiko
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reapplying old plastic film covering

I'm in the process of a crash/rebuild of an arf plane that had the body broken in half from a rough landing last week. I've got the plane successfully back together, except I need to reapply the covering to the 6" wide section that is bare of covering where I glued the body back together. I pulled off matching trim from under the main wing, which will be enough to cover my bare body section, but I don't think there will be enough adhesive left to reapply. I'd appreciate some suggestions on what to use. I don't know what brand the original covering is, so purchasing new covering isn'the an option.
Thanks for any help.
Lamar
Old 05-17-2016, 04:46 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Balsaloc should work if you can find some. It seems to be listed as "out of stock" some places. I've seen ads for something called "CoverLoc," which may be the same thing (the bottles look similar, as do the descriptions, and both are made in the UK). Sig Stixit should work as well. I've used it for fabric covering and can't think of a reason it wouldn't work on film as well.

Last edited by Top_Gunn; 05-17-2016 at 04:48 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:37 PM
lamarkeiko
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Top Gun. I just happened to have a half can of Stixit left over from a Sig Koveral job I did a couple years ago that I completely forgot about. It may just do the trick.
Lamar
Old 05-22-2016, 01:38 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Can you not take the plane into the hobby shop and hold it up next to the covering display to get a match? That's what I do. I think this is honestly the first time I've ever heard of someone taking good covering off of a wing to make a repair on a fuselage. What are you planning to do about the hole on your wing now?