Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

3 part wings

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

3 part wings

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 03:43 PM
bentley1$

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 part wings

I am building a giant ugly stick (100" WS) from plans. The center section will be permanently attached and extend about 4-6" past the starboard and port sides.

Do I need to worry about wing separation when using alignment tubes, or is there a way to lock the wings in place.

Thanks for any assistance,
Old 05-17-2016, 04:12 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely. Simplest way is way is to plug the last inch or so of each end of the tube with a hardwood dowel of the correct diameter, install a hardwood block in the wing just above or below the tube end, assemble the wing and drill/tap through both hardwood blocks, disassemble, harden the threads with thin CA, and then install an allen head bolt when assembling the plane.

For another option, check out the "Merlyn Wing Lock" tutorial on RCSCALEBUILDER.

I use a spring-loaded latch that captures a hidden bolt head but its a bit involved to explain here. No bolts to install/lose and just a 1/4" stub of music wire exposed under the wing.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:47 PM
bentley1$

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks