Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Zdz40

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 06:30 AM
oceandiv
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zdz40

Does anyone have some usable RPM spec's for the ZDZ40?
Old 12-19-2001, 04:14 AM
EJB

Default ZDZ 40

My buddy has one.Gets about 7600 with Mejzlik 20x10 with about 3-4 gal. thru it.Starts easy,runs smooth,has instant transition.Pulls a AW 29% Edge(14 lb.) like a rocket.
Old 12-20-2001, 12:37 AM
RC4RC

Default Zdz40

Turning 7000 rpm even, with a little more left in it 100+ on a Zinger 22x8 pro. 40-1 petrolium based oil. about 1000Ft. plus-minus and 70 plus deg..
great idle--have not even turned the factory setting.
instant response to throttle. idle to full power.
A smooth running engine. As good as my Moki 2.10
negatives
poor fuel draw which was improved by soldering up hole in choke plate and redrilling to MUCH smaller hole. This is important after your engine is all cowled in. You want to be able to have a reasonable 1st start of the day.
somewhat different and inventive way to install engine carb. linkage. really no big deal unless your all thumbs. If you are a modeler you are not.
depends on how you look at it. (I like it) 6 bolt prop retainer. I bought the drill guide.
Would I buy one again---IN A MINUTE Ron
Old 12-20-2001, 03:21 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default zdz40

both prior posts are typical of what I have seen on a number of these .
One point worth considering - once the engines are loosened up -a little - switch to Redline two stroke racing oil at 40 to 1 mix.
Starting will improve as the plug will stay cleaner-
From numbers shown -it appears neither writer is using a tuned setup -so bigger props should work with no adjustments other than a needle tweak.
I have flown A friend's Midwest Cap weighing 16.5(oof!)lbs using ZingerPro 22x8 and it still would recover from a hover.
22x10 props also work once all loosened up.
expect 6000 rpm or more.
my 13 lb 1275 sq in Staudacher is simply a rocket using one of these engines.
Prop used? It doesn't matter much --the noise shifts a lot tho if using the 22x8 -it is noisy . These props run 7300 or more on the ground and so I run higher pitch to quiet the plane down.