Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Ryobi 31cc

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 04:43 AM
AC2
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ryobi 31cc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any thoughts out there about using this on a Balsa USA Citabria Pro?
Any advice?

I plan on recovering the entire plane which is set up now for a YS120 so it is a good time to make the conversion.

Just looking to get away from the glow fuel mess. I would assume I have to move the servos to the rear etc for cg purposes, and would re-inforce the firewall. I am also considering putting some more lumber in the rear?
Anyone taken on this project before? If so any pics?

Thanks,
Old 12-28-2001, 12:27 PM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Citabria Pro/Ryobi

It may work, but the Ryobi is a 4 lb engine and the magneto/flywheel may not clear the cowl. You'd have to get an aftermarket electronic ignition, like I used on my Dynaflite Chipmunk.

The Citabria Pro is a very light plane, probably 10-11 lbs ready to fly, with an appropriate engine. Why add 2 or 3 more pounds to it, plus added tail weight needed to balance, when you can use a 91 to 120 four cycle like it was designed for?

If you really want a gas engine, take a look at the RCS140, small light and easier to install.
Old 12-28-2001, 03:35 PM
AC2
My Feedback: (34)

Default Ryobi

Thank you for the reply, I have heard that the airframe is too light from another source as well. I wonder if the ryobi will work on a Northwest Technologies Corsair? I bought the engine so these are the two planes I have. I may have to consider buying another plane for the engine, but was hoping I would not have to.
Thanks!
Old 12-29-2001, 03:26 AM
flying2bill
My Feedback: (2)

Default ryobi

This engine is best suited for 1/4 scale cubs and Taylorcrafts, ecspecially if you still have the stock carb on it. Too heavy for your Citabria and not enough umph for a Corsair (pronounced CUSS-air). Works good in most Balsa USA big planes.