Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

need somw advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2002, 08:20 PM
jmf2001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need somw advice

Hi guys. Hope all of you had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I don't know were you guys are but here in Puerto Rico the weather is great and you can fly 7 days a week. Anyway I have a question. About 7 or 8 years I picked up a brand new Quadra 35 for $ 25.00. The engine has only been run once ( by me ). I would like to get it into a model. Can any of you recommend a model ( not scale ) that would suit this engine?
Thanks
Old 01-05-2002, 09:07 PM
L454S
My Feedback: (3)

Default Q35

That engine is great on a Dynaflite Super Dacathalon, have one I fly now on a US41,more than enough power. I hate to tell you ,but those are some crankshaft eating little devils. I picked up a NIB Q35 for this Decathalon and on the sixth flight it spit the crank. I got a new crank as well as a different flywheel,hub and prop. This time I got about 30 flights before it broke again. Since US Engines bought the rights from Quadra, the crank problem seems to be gone. All this was with 18x10 and 18x8 props, so I was not over speeding the engine.
Old 01-06-2002, 03:37 PM
flying2bill
My Feedback: (2)

Default Q35

Don't know what was going on with L454S with the crank problem, But I've got Q35 that is at least 15 years old. I've owned it for 10 and it was well used when I got it. I had to retire it this last summer after 100's (1,000's?) of flights, compression was getting so low, upon inspection most of the chrome is wore off the cylinder, was a good, reliable engine, worked hard it's whole life and deservers' it's retirement. It does live on, the carb, flywheel and prop adapter were used to convert a Homelite. For long life I recommend semi-synthetic injector oil (yamalube) mixed 4oz to a gal of gas. As for recommended airplanes it will handle well, planes in the 15-20lb with ease, have heard of them in 25-30lb warbirds. Try it with any giant scale Stick, or Stinger (modern stick)
Old 01-07-2002, 02:16 AM
jmf2001

Default Thanks for the advice

Hey guys. Thanks for the imput about the Q-35. The big stick sounds like the way I will go. Now were do I get a big one?
Old 01-07-2002, 04:11 PM
jpflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Default Stinger 120

Try the Lanier Stinger 120. They fly great on US41 type engines, but will fly well on your Q-35. It is basically a stick type airplane with some plastic thrown in to look a little better.