Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Which giant scale do you prefer, extra or edge?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!
View Poll Results: A poll
I prefer the Extra
51.28%
I prefer the Edge
48.72%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Which giant scale do you prefer, extra or edge?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 03:13 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which giant scale do you prefer, extra or edge?

I've been flying extras for some time, they fly great and will do most any maneuver 3d or not. I've noticed that at most of the giant scale flyin's though there seems to be more edge 540's. What are the different flying characteristics between the extra and the edge? If edge's are as good or better then why are most company's arf-ing the extra and not many doing the edge? What companies are producing the 40% edge 540 arf (I've been told that the 540 is better than the 540T for ed)?

Jon
Old 02-05-2004, 03:19 PM
Badge
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which giant scale do you prefer, extra or edge?

I love the edge and fly it. I prefer its looks over the extra and thats the only reason I fly it. I have flown Carden Extras/Edges AeroTech Edges/Extras and have a 52% Edge on the way. They all fly great people will say one does something better than the other but if you are flying the plane you will learn the differences and when you fly it you wont even notice.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:22 PM
MR G

I prefer the Extra, This preference is based on the looks of an Extra VS the looks of an Edge. I prefer the Extra, just my opinion.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:33 PM
jonkoppisch

How about differences in a harrier, wing rock etc?

Jon
Old 02-05-2004, 07:37 PM
3DRC
My Feedback: (3)

Jon, If you get the Edge you will be able to fly like Wes....

Personal opinion. I like the Edge for Stalled flight better than the Extra. Every Extra that I have flown has had the wing rock. Most of the Edges you can put in a hands off Elevator relative to the ailerons. They also seem to stall flat rather than dropping a wing. I had a RadioCraft for about 50 gallons and I loved it until I would drop into an Elevator. The Edge also needs a touch of help for an IMAC stall entry into a spin. It just doesn't want to drop a tip.

I will be out this weekend flying, weather permiting, if you would like to try the AeroTech for a couple of minutes. No low hovers though.... Wes told me about the extra's control rod failure.

I'm getting ready to start on a new 42% Edge as soon as John can ship it from AeroTech. I set up a new web site to document the build to help others along the way. All I need now is the kit and some pictures.

Most likely we will be flying the Silverhill field Sat and Sun. Call me

Bean
Old 02-05-2004, 08:06 PM
jonkoppisch

Yep, the control rod gave away on the 40% extra. Wes was suprised at the way it flew, elevators, harriers etc. It was flying great until the rod gave way, eck!!!!!

If you guarantee me I'll be able to fly like Wes if I get the edge I'll buy 2, lol.

Jon
Old 02-06-2004, 02:35 PM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish I had one of each so i could compare.
right now either would be more capable than I am
Old 02-06-2004, 07:21 PM
augiep38
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: jonkoppisch

Yep, the control rod gave away on the 40% extra. Wes was suprised at the way it flew, elevators, harriers etc. It was flying great until the rod gave way, eck!!!!!

If you guarantee me I'll be able to fly like Wes if I get the edge I'll buy 2, lol.

Jon

I'll give you a quarter for Extra!!
[>:]

Todd
Old 02-06-2004, 07:24 PM
jonkoppisch

A quarter Todd? Why so much, lol. Jon
Old 02-06-2004, 10:35 PM
3DFLYERBG89

Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Ex tra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extr a...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra. ..Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra... Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Ex tra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extr a...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra. ..Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra... Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Ex tra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extr a...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra. ..Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra... Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Ex tra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extr a...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra. ..Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra... Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Ex tra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extr a...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra. ..Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra... Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Ex tra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extr a...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra. ..Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra... Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Ex tra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extr a...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra. ..Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra... Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Ex tra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extr a...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra. ..Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra... Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Ex tra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extr a...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra. ..Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra... Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Ex tra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extra...Extr a...Extra...Extra...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!¡¡¡¡¡ ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡ HOW IS THAT FOR MY ANSWER!!!!!!!¡¡¡¡¡¡¡
Old 02-06-2004, 11:18 PM
d boothe
My Feedback: (16)

Jon, if you get the edge you can fly like Wes only after taking a year off work and flying 4 to 5 days a week. Yes i envy Wes, dont we all down here in the deep south. You looked like you had a pretty good hold on the extra, stay with what works. Flying model airplanes does not evolve around how an airframe does an elevator or a harrier without wing rocking. Hell Wes can make my extra do both with ease and i cant, explain that, i think we all know the answer. Anyway come back and visit us at silverhill, weather should be ok sunday.

D Boothe
Old 02-07-2004, 08:26 AM
jonkoppisch

lol, sure thing :^) I'm hoping to get the jet out to silver hill before long. Jon