Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Big Stik advice

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Big Stik advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 08:52 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Big Stik advice

I'm wanting to get another plane. My Avistar is broken and I have a 4*40 kit that I just completed and have flown a couple of times. I have been flying the Big Stik on the simulator and it flies really nice (on there anyway). Any recommendations on the Big Stik? Are they a good plane?
Old 10-16-2004, 11:22 PM
Ernie Misner

Default RE: GP Big Stik advice

Absolutely, they are a wonderful plane! It should be even easier for someone without a lot of experience to fly than the 4* 40. I say that because it has a high wing and will have some self-righting tendencies. I think you can set it up as a taildragger or trike gear. The tricycle gear might offer easier ground handling for the inexperienced pilot. Many, many of these have been used for 2nd or 3rd planes. Just get one and go enjoy.

Ernie
Old 10-16-2004, 11:44 PM
rclement

Thanks Ernie. Yea, I would want to set it up as a tail dragger for sure. I'm excited!! Gotta get one, or something. The addiction is taking over. Now to hide it from my wife..... Hmmmm...
Old 10-17-2004, 12:13 AM
Ernie Misner

Are you leaning towards the kit or the ARF? I am in favor or ARF versions when we are starting out and still have a few more crashes to look foreward to. That way your time can be spent learning to fly.... knowing full well that if you crash, you won't loose all the time that gets invested in a kit.

Ernie
Old 10-17-2004, 07:40 AM
jbdismukes
My Feedback: (2)

My second plane is the Big Stick with an OS .65. Inexperienced as I am, I can only say I couldn't be happier. I started with the trike LG, but converted to a tail dragger on advise of club members who know I'm next looking at a bipe. The .65 vs. a .60 gives enough power to pull me out of trouble without overpowering the plane. It is the easiest, most forgiving plane I've seen, and many experienced flyers sing it's praises.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:06 AM
rclement

Well, I'm probably going to get an ARF. I just finished a 4*40 kit with other comittments it took me awhile. I might pick up a kit at the hobby show coming up in February. I would like to find a Venture 60. Where do you fly in Tacoma Ernie?
Old 10-17-2004, 08:05 PM
Ernie Misner

Is that OS .65 on a 40 Stick, or on the 60 size stick???

CeeGee, ahhh you are right up the freeway a ways I see! Lately I have been flying at the Flaming Gyser Park site, just east of Auburn. Where are you flying?

Ernie
Old 10-17-2004, 08:22 PM
rclement

Ernie, I fly at Flaming Geyser too. I'm not sure if I have met you or not. I've been flying there since July and soled on Labor day weekend. I have been flying an Avistar (bullet hole decals in the side) but just finished a 4*40 kit and started flying it a week or so ago. What do you fly?