Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

NTC3 RTR Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 01:39 PM
02WRX
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NTC3 RTR Upgrades

Hey I'm pretty new to the nitro world so I'm looking at getting some parts. Are there any air intakes that make a difference in performance? What is the best transmission setup for this particular car? Just really looking for some performance components to up the fun level Thanks
Old 05-19-2003, 02:40 PM
clizoman

get a 2spd, will really boost spd, and also hook up a motor savers air filter, little expensive but well worth the price
Old 05-19-2003, 03:27 PM
studysession

I have a NTC3 RTR - Get the 2 spd. Big difference. I also purchased new pinion and spur gears for the 2 speed. Should be in this week.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:55 PM
spadworld

If you're going to run in a parking lot make sure you lift the car by adjusting the shocks and bump stops. Also Get the 2 speed kit. I just replaced my Air filter with a Dynamite Turbo Flow Pro. There's a lot more area to draw in air with this one.
PULL THE RESTRICTOR! IT's under your air filter. Do this after you break in the engine though or just be carefull.
Old 05-20-2003, 04:48 AM
spadworld

Also invest in a fail safe! I have a Dynamite Race Guard and it's so simple to set up. Just pull the throttle servo wire from the RX and hook this inline with it. IT'll safe guard against Radio interfearance, Loss of signal, and LOW BATTERY! I'm going to build a 6Volt battery pack since it doesn't like to run off of 4.8 Volts very long at all. When a low battery is thrown it'll goto it's preset position and stay there until the switch is turned off and back on. I had a friendly Local police officer clock the car for me tonight with a stock 2 speed setup and a still breaking in still running rich engine. He parked so far away that the RTR AM radio was not making the trip and it slammed FULL BRAKES until I walked a little closer to it. I couldn't imagine hitting the curb at a mere 51 MPH and expecting it to survive. So I was thankfull for a tiny part that costed me $30 that probibly saved me over $100 tonight.
Old 05-20-2003, 04:36 PM
02WRX

what about clutches and flywheels? i've read a little about them but what are some of the setups you guys are using? I'm about to go pick up a 2spd and air filter (hopefully nothing else for today ) definitely gonna get a fail safe and temp gauge, i think those will be very nice to have. Thanks for the info guys. I'm not a big fan of buying parts alone with recommendation from the hobby shop guys.
Old 05-20-2003, 05:04 PM
studysession

Originally posted by 02WRX
what about clutches and flywheels? i've read a little about them but what are some of the setups you guys are using? I'm about to go pick up a 2spd and air filter (hopefully nothing else for today ) definitely gonna get a fail safe and temp gauge, i think those will be very nice to have. Thanks for the info guys. I'm not a big fan of buying parts alone with recommendation from the hobby shop guys.
I am not a big fan on the Hobby Shop guys opinions either. I feel - they are always just trying to selling some extra crap I do not need. But that is just my opinion.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:45 PM
02WRX

alright got the 2spd, venom temp gauge & fail-safe, and a couple rdlogics air intakes. think i'm gonna wait til after the break-in to put in the 2 spd. thanks for the help again
Old 05-20-2003, 10:56 PM
studysession

Yeah - break it in before doing the 2 speed. That is what I did. My new gears came in - this is what I am going to do:

I am upgrading the gear on my NTC3. Has anyone else out there done this yet? I have the RTR and installed the 2 spd myself. I want to know if anyone else has any experience with this.

Here is what I am doing:

For Nitro TC3 RTR from team associates the transmission ratio is 2.5 This is not in documentation. I called and asked tech support.

You want a higher # for final drive ratio for first gear to get more acceloration and more torque.
You want a lower # for final drive ratio for second gear for more top end speed.

In general, installing a smaller pinion gear will give you better
acceleration while installing a larger pinion gear will improve your top speed. The opposite can be said to be true when changing your spur gear. A smaller spur gear will give you better top speed while a larger spur will increase your acceleration. When making changes to your model's set-up, it is best to make one change at a time, testing after each change and recording your findings.

Stock 2 speed gears:
Spur divided by pinion = gear ratio X transmission ratio = final drive ratio
1st gear
50/22=2.27x2.5=5.68
2nd gear
54/26=2.07x2.5=5.19

1 - Upgraded gearing (pinions only):
1st gear
50/20=2.5x2.5=6.25
2nd gear
54/27=2x2.5=5

2 - Upgraded gearing (pinions & spurs):
1st gear
50/20=2.5x2.5=6.25
2nd gear
48/27=1.77x2.5=4.44

3 - Upgraded gearing (pinions & spurs):
1st gear
54/20=2.7x2.5=6.75
2nd gear
48/27=1.77x2.5=4.44
Old 05-23-2003, 01:43 AM
02WRX

ok....still learning, glow starters do not hold charge over a week. hehe. also what is the best way to wire my trinity nimh receiver pack into the receiver on the RTR? I thought it would just be an easy hook up but the wire goes through the damn on/off switch grrrrr.

I also have the duratrax twin charger and to charge the pack i made an adapter that goes into a deans quick plug. The battery got rediculously hot so i'm afraid something is not right. I made sure it's wired right and it is. (except maybe if that speed plug thing is the culprit) any ideas? Thanks a bunch
Old 05-23-2003, 03:01 AM
spadworld

That's easy
Carefully pull the pins for the red and black wires out of the connector making sure tehy do not touch. Next do the same for the cheapy battery holder that came with the RTR. Now slip your NiMh wires into the little red plug. Simple enough.
TIP: There's a tiny piece of plastic that you have to lift up to be able to slide out the wires. Carefully lift it just enough to slide the wire out. If you lift it too much it won't hold the wires in place when you finish.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:12 AM
02WRX

Ok i've got the connectors switched. I want to get another one of these plugs though so charging will be much much easier. Anyone know what it's called or maybe a link for ordering one? Much appreciated.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:27 AM
studysession

I installed the new pinion and spur gears last night in my NTC3 w/ 2spd. Hopefully it will stop rainign today so I can run it and see if there is a big improvment on speed.
Old 05-24-2003, 08:53 PM
Conman
My Feedback: (1)

Get the 2 speed. I would like to go with taller gears as well, but the stock 2 speed gears will do the trick. Just ditch the stock switch and get one with a charging port. A new body would not be a bad idea. I know they call them 1/10 sedans but come on, does a 4 door really evoke images of great speed? I know a Viper body does.
Old 05-25-2003, 01:12 AM
spadworld

I think that plug is the FUTABA J plug. Maybe that's atleast what they call the plug that goes into that.

Also any one get their car clocked? I have the 2 speed in mine and about 1/2 Gallon of fuel through it running the RTR and 2 speeed upgrade.

I run the engine at 2 1/2 turns out and run Blue thunder Race formula 20% and a #8 plug and RESTRICTOR REMOVED. Every thing is stock except the 2 speed but I guess it's really stock to. Haven't changed gearing and it's definately shifting now.

I had a COP friend of mine clock it and he said it's running 44MPH. As funds become available I'll be getting my own gun. I haven't purchased a temp guage yet but will soon. All I know that is I can just barely touch the head and not get burned.

So am I running too slow? Engine not broken in? Too rich? Any ideas? From my limited knowledge I think it may not be winding all the way out.

SO HOW FAST IS YOURS?

Old 05-25-2003, 01:20 AM
studysession

I put my new gears in my 2 spd Thurs night of this past week. It has been raining ever since. Not tested new gears. also put on the threaded shocks today.

After testing gears and shock I will then readjust ride height. Right now it is at highest ride height. Not adjusted it back since putting everything back together.

I will get a radar gun when we move. My wife said once we move no biggy but asked me not to do it right now. Good stuff.
Old 05-25-2003, 05:33 AM
02WRX

"I know they call them 1/10 sedans but come on, does a 4 door really evoke images of great speed?"
arrrg, my other bodies are the BMW M5 and 2 Subaru 2001 WRC bodies (i own a wrx) 4 doors are just as cool man!!! hehe i'll just use the stratus body as the beater

i dunno, i have the rtr just stock and i was going approx. 40-45 judging by the traffic on the other side of the fence. I was out for a good 3 hours or so and got about 10 tanks of run time in altogether including break-ins. i wasn't really pushing it and i was running it pretty rich, so i'm sure more speed is quite possible. i was running it and then letting it cool down to right around 95 degrees F before running again. Is that overkill or a good idea?