Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Byron Christen Eagle & Large Four Stroke ?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Byron Christen Eagle & Large Four Stroke ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 05:05 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Byron Christen Eagle & Large Four Stroke ?

Does anybody has any experience flying the Byron Christen Eagle with a large four stroke like a OS Pegasus or Saito twins ?
How do they fit and perform ?
Old 05-14-2002, 05:42 PM
2 Piece
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as fit goes, the Satio's or the OS's cylinder heads will probably stick out the side of the cowl and ruin scale appearance. Check out the Laser 300V 4 stroke. Grrrrrreat engine. Grrrrreat performance, it's lighter in weight requires no on board glow or high high nitro fuel. And it would probably fit within the cowl. www.laserengines.com or www.proctor-enterprises.com
2 Piece
Old 05-14-2002, 06:28 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OS twin in Eagle

I am building a Byrons Eagle with the OS 300 Twin in it now. The motor does indeed fit in the cowl. You have to put a tiny hole in the cowl for the rocker cover bump on the left side, but if you were to rotate or jockey the engine around a bit you could get around that. I put extra right thrust in mine, so I moved the engine over that way and that is what caused the rocker cover to hit. The left cylinder exhaust pipe also hits the cowl, but another type of exhaust pipe would cure that as well, or again you could twist and jockey the engine around to miss all of this. You do NOT have to run onboard glow on this engine and it starts within 3 or 4 flips. It idles super low, like 1200 or so and accelerates instantly. I have not flown it yet, but will get around to it when i finish covering it. It sounds AWESOME!!!
Old 05-14-2002, 07:00 PM
Texas 3D

Default OS

Jeff, I was thinking of the OS also. Do you think it is going to be enough power ? I will not glass mine but econokote it. I know that the eagle is no 3d plane, but still should have enough power to give a nice vertical. How big of a fuel tank will you mount with engine ?
Old 05-14-2002, 11:12 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default not enough power

Hi, I fly a byron Pitts ( virtually identical to the eagle) ,econocote covered at 16lbs with a Moki 2.1, It flys well but, it is not over powered - i'm considering going to 52cc gas for some extra go. Neither the os 300 or saito 300 put out anywhere close to the Moki in power - 7600-7800rpm on a 20x10. both r heavier. i think u will be disapointed with the performance of either of these engines in the Byron. I do admit they will sound great though!

Mike
Old 05-15-2002, 03:06 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OS 300

My OS 300 swings a zinger 20X10 at about 7100 rich. So no, it not as powerful as the Moki, but it isn't fair to say that it is 'no where' close! I plan to mount a 24 oz tank in mine. I dont mount huge tanks when they are needed. I will fly it with that and if it isn't enough, I will change it. On the test stand, it seems to be pretty decent on fuel for being a 3 cubic inch glow twin!! Mine should wiegh about 16 lbs and I flew a Cobra(X-wing Bipe) with one of these engines and it weighed 21 lbs and it had decent vertical. I am confident that this engine will deliver the kind of performance I want, and sound 100 times better doing it haha. You will not be able to hang on the prop then accel. out of it, if not for any other reason than not having a pumped engine. This motor relies totally on suction to feed it.

Jeff
Old 05-15-2002, 03:32 PM
Texas 3D

2 piece, I looked at the laser engines and really liked what I was reading. I just can't find any indications as far as horse power and rpm's turning a certain prop. How reliable are those engines really ? do they need to be adjusted frequently ? Would you have some more info on them ? Thanks
Old 05-15-2002, 04:47 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 300 vs Moki

Jeff, if u r happy with the performance that's all that counts! As for the Moki at 7800 rpm vs 7100 on the OS , 600-700 rpm on that size of prop is a huge power difference, U will see a big diff in the airplanes performance.

Mike
Old 05-16-2002, 12:41 PM
2 Piece
My Feedback: (8)

JU87, How about 9300rpm with a MA 20x10 and idle rock solid idle of 1100 on 10% Sig 4 stroke fuel. It's mounted inverted and will idle all day long without the use of on board glow. Excelent throttle transition and very very smooth. Niel does not list any misleading HP figures. They vary to much depending on fuel/prop used, altitude and needle settings. They do cost a bit more than the Satio's and OS's, which are nice engines, but do not require onboard glow or 15-20% nitro fuel to run reliably. My 300V runs very cool- doesn't seem to mind being cowled in. I've only had to adjust the needles once in about 3 months- temp change and getting broke in. The only draw back is that it is fairly lite compared to other 50cc engines, which could be a good thing, but you may find yourself adding weight in the nose to make up the difference.
2 Piece
Old 05-20-2002, 04:25 PM
oldtimer143

Default Byron Eagle

I have no experience with gas engines and have a couple of OS 1.6 FX engines lying about for another (longer term) project that I'd be keen to get airborne. Would one of these be sufficient for the Eagle or Pitts? At 3.7HP they are significantly more powerful than the .60 and tuned pipe system originally fitted. I'm not after startling performance or 3D. Just a good-looking aerobatic model that I can use as a Sunday hack!

Cheers,
Greg

[email protected]