Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Got a problem with a Picco engine, can anyone advise?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Got a problem with a Picco engine, can anyone advise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 11:38 PM
WhiskyVR-4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a problem with a Picco engine, can anyone advise?

Ok, we have a Nitro TC3 running a Picco .15 "P15" and it has been stripping the clutch nut every few tanks fo fuel. This is more than a little annoying. Well, it turns out that the guy who cut the crankshaft on it cut it a little too short, so it isn't threading all the way and is consequently ripping out the threads of the clutch nut. At least, thats the only thing I can think of to explain it.

So, I need to buy a new crankshaft for this P15. Therein lies the problem. I cannot find a P15 crankshaft on any of the websites. Everywhere I look they have nearly every part except the crankshaft, but they ALL have the P12 crankshaft. I then noticed on the Tower Hobbies site that the description fo the P12 crankshaft reads as follows:

"This is the Crankshaft for ALL Non-Recoiled PICCO Engines we carry."

So I guess I need to buy this crank. The stroke on the P15 is 14.8mm, and on the P12 its 14mm, I don't see how this could work...
Old 04-29-2003, 11:43 PM
jbjustin33415

Have you tried using some Thread Lock on the nut?

Well with the less stroke, you might not get enough compression and the engine will run like crap, but Im not good with engines, so I cant really say what would happen.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:44 PM
dg2b

I forsee a problem with using a .12 crank on an .15 engine. The stroke on this engine (I believe) is different.

I would ask trinity (teamtrinity.com) where to get the crank for your engine. Trinity now distributes Picco in U.S.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:46 PM
WhiskyVR-4

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me. I've used threadlock, I've used JB Weld, I've done everything short of TIG welding the stupid thing on there. No Dice. Its not coming loose, in a true sense, its ripping the threads out of the clutch nut. But see, its only ripping them out about halfway in, and it just looks like there isn't enough threaded area of the crankshaft left to get it to thread all the way on and hold securely.

As far as the stroke, yeah, i don't understand how the same crankshaft can be used in one engine with a 14mm stroke, and another with a 14.8mm stroke. That just doesn't make sense. But nobody seems to have a "P15" crankshaft, only that P12 crank, and they all claim its the same crank for all Picco engines.