Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

RCX... Who has attended one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:05 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RCX... Who has attended one?

I've never been to any kind of RC related expo during the past 20-some-odd years that I've been involved with the hobby; that is until now. A friend of mine, who is not a participant of RC, and myself made the 4 hour journey from Central California south to Long Beach to experience RCX 2012. We attended both days since we figured that we drove that far we might as well make the most of it.

Of course there were several brands, stores and other exhibitors on hand to display, demonstrate or sell their products. I don't know how many people attended but it was definately a thicker crowd on Saturday versus Sunday. I won't go into a long drawn out description of the event, but I'll recap some of my personal favorites. I appreciated being able to visit a manufacturer's display such as Team Associated with practically every model they make on display so you can pick it up and take a close look. There were many other great brands, like Axial, where I was able to talk to the folks there and pick their brain about the models and get advice or more information that you could from a catalog.

The Kyosho Mini-Z race was very cool. I don't know what exactly was so appealing but watching those guys zip those tiny little cars around the track was mesmerizing to watch. It looked like a pack of mice running around everywhere! Also, I thought I had seen RC drifting before but watching guys that know how to drift in person is completely different from watching Youtube videos. My buddy and I were drawn to that exhibit several times.

The indoor 3D flight demo area was entertaining to watch too as pro pilots demonstrated their skills with 3D fixed and rotor wing aircraft. I can't get over the way a 3D helicopter moves when controlled by an highly skilled pilot! It defies the laws of physics!

They also featured some cool static displays of custom cars including one of the DeLoreans used in the filming of the Back to the Future movies! For you BTTF geeks, it was a later version of the car that featured "Mr. Fusion" and a 2015 license plate. Pretty cool!

There were plenty of other things to see but the last thing I wanted to mention was the "Pro SC race" which featured the likes of Ryan Cavalieri, Adam Drake and Cody King. No wonder these guys are world champions; watching them drive was a real treat as they are so smooth and in control of their trucks. They did make a bad landing, once and misjudged a corner, perhaps once, but the rest of the time they were smooth and consistant.

If I end up going again next year I would probably only go one day because you can see everything twice and still have some time left over. If anyone else attended this year let's hear your story!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:18 AM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCX... Who has attended one?

It was interesting, but only took maybe an hour or two to see everything twice. I'm glad I went, but it was slightly disappointing... partially because I didn't bring any cars to run at the tracks though.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:43 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts

i totally shined it and didn't bother, partly because i was busy with other stuff and partly because i have no respect for it.  when you have to bring in "celebrities" (no disrespect to those celebrities)  like Shirley Muldowney, Catherine Bach, Mad Mike, Jarrod & Brandi, Jimmy Shine, Twitch.  you know, non RC people.  and have 1:1 car displays that distract you from the RC the expo is supposed to be about, it cheapens it.  if you need that kind of filler to get people in the door then the show must not be very good.  if it's an RC expo it needs to be RC only and cater to just RC.  screw all that other non hobby stuff.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:27 PM
narwalrus

^This^

Demos and new products really seem to be the only legit reasons for an expo.. and RCX really does neither very well. You can buy stuff, but I didn't plan on bringing a bunch of money. There are only a few products, and the test drives had too long lines. I might go next year, but I would need to bring a car. I did enjoy seeing the golden Years of RC booth though.<br type="_moz"/>
Old 05-01-2012, 09:01 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, that "Golden Years" exhibit was great; it was entertaining and educational.

I agree that it was a little disappointing because I think I was expecting a little more and something just a little different. I didn't go to buy stuff either, I was more interested in seeing new products and demonstrations. And the lines were over-crowded with rug rags hogging the demo tracks or the flight simulators! I never bothered to meet the personalities though Ithought about stopping by the Outlaw booth to meet Brandi. She's pretty foxy I suppose.

Isaw a couple of guys carrying their own cars around but I wasn't sure what they were doing? I saw a lot of touring cars and motorcycles outside and drifters inside. The pros were running SC trucks on that Traxxas track and some hobby shop sponsored a cage where they were running 1/5 and jumping Slashes all day. Would they let anyone run on those tracks?

I was also bummed that Ididn't see HPI at the show or JConcepts. I wanted to see their products and maybe get a chance to score some JC schwag!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:59 PM
narwalrus

I think the crawlers and drifters would let you run. Maybe on the touring track outside, as it was by OCRaceway. I did see a new proline SCT Fiesta body that I want BADLY and can't find anywhere online...
The outdoors big pit and boat bond might have too, but I don't know for sure.
And there wasn't enough swag, but I did get a BigsquidRC Shirt